Writing Process / ndxcards functionality on a mac

111 views
Skip to first unread message

Lit

unread,
Oct 10, 2010, 7:09:08 PM10/10/10
to The Efficient Academic
Hello everyone,

I am looking for guidance on the writing process as well as personal
experiences of the tools you work with.
What do you use to organize your writing sources and what do you use
to make your notes etc to form your papers?

Please feel free to go from as detailed as you want to, to as brief as
you would like to.

L

Eric Durbrow

unread,
Oct 10, 2010, 7:16:05 PM10/10/10
to the-efficie...@googlegroups.com
Mac, Windows, or Linux?

> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "The Efficient Academic" group.
> To post to this group, send email to the-efficie...@googlegroups.com.
> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to the-efficient-aca...@googlegroups.com.
> For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/the-efficient-academic?hl=en.
>

EHD
dur...@gmail.com


Lalit R

unread,
Oct 13, 2010, 4:07:14 PM10/13/10
to the-efficie...@googlegroups.com
Mac is Preferred. Windows, I would love to learn about as well in case I have to ever move back (plus the fact that I have used it for sooo many years).
I apologize for the delay in response.

Eric Durbrow

unread,
Oct 13, 2010, 4:08:41 PM10/13/10
to the-efficie...@googlegroups.com
Organize notes:

Notational Velocity

Writing Environment
Scrivener


On Oct 13, 2010, at 13:07 , Lalit R wrote:

> Mac is Preferred. Windows, I would love to learn about as well in case I
> have to ever move back (plus the fact that I have used it for sooo many
> years).
> I apologize for the delay in response.
>
>
>
> On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 7:16 PM, Eric Durbrow <dur...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Mac, Windows, or Linux?
>> On Oct 10, 2010, at 16:09 , Lit wrote:
>>
>>> Hello everyone,
>>>
>>> I am looking for guidance on the writing process as well as personal
>>> experiences of the tools you work with.
>>> What do you use to organize your writing sources and what do you use
>>> to make your notes etc to form your papers?
>>>
>>> Please feel free to go from as detailed as you want to, to as brief as
>>> you would like to.
>>>
>>> L
>>>
>>> --
>>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
>> "The Efficient Academic" group.
>>> To post to this group, send email to
>> the-efficie...@googlegroups.com.
>>> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to

>> the-efficient-aca...@googlegroups.com<the-efficient-academic%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>


>> .
>>> For more options, visit this group at
>> http://groups.google.com/group/the-efficient-academic?hl=en.
>>>
>>
>> EHD
>> dur...@gmail.com
>>
>>
>> --
>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
>> "The Efficient Academic" group.
>> To post to this group, send email to
>> the-efficie...@googlegroups.com.
>> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to

>> the-efficient-aca...@googlegroups.com<the-efficient-academic%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

Lalit R

unread,
Oct 13, 2010, 4:12:34 PM10/13/10
to the-efficie...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for your feedback Eric.

jh...@vt.edu

unread,
Oct 15, 2010, 4:37:00 PM10/15/10
to The Efficient Academic
Writing: mellel
notecards: slipbox
both tied to bibliography software: bookends

you could probably get away with scrivener and bookends... but i have
grown fond of slipbox

taking notes from pdfs... skim, which exports to slipbox.


On Oct 13, 4:07 pm, Lalit R <rla...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Mac is Preferred. Windows, I would love to learn about as well in case I
> have to ever move back (plus the fact that I have used it for sooo many
> years).
> I apologize for the delay in response.
>
>
>
> On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 7:16 PM, Eric Durbrow <durb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Mac, Windows, or Linux?
> > On Oct 10, 2010, at 16:09 , Lit wrote:
>
> > > Hello everyone,
>
> > > I am looking for guidance on the writing process as well as personal
> > > experiences of the tools you work with.
> > > What do you use to organize your writing sources and what do you use
> > > to make your notes etc to form your papers?
>
> > > Please feel free to go from as detailed as you want to, to as brief as
> > > you would like to.
>
> > > L
>
> > > --
> > > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
> > "The Efficient Academic" group.
> > > To post to this group, send email to
> > the-efficie...@googlegroups.com.
> > > To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
> > the-efficient-aca...@googlegroups.com<the-efficient-academic% 2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
> > .
> > > For more options, visit this group at
> >http://groups.google.com/group/the-efficient-academic?hl=en.
>
> > EHD
> > durb...@gmail.com
>
> > --
> > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
> > "The Efficient Academic" group.
> > To post to this group, send email to
> > the-efficie...@googlegroups.com.
> > To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
> > the-efficient-aca...@googlegroups.com<the-efficient-academic% 2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
> > .

Lalit R

unread,
Oct 17, 2010, 6:25:13 PM10/17/10
to the-efficie...@googlegroups.com
Jeremy:Thank you for your input. I downloaded Skim and am thrilled by it! Installed slipbox but haven't gotten a chance to play with it as yet.

Eric: I am cleaning out notational velocity to use it as a quick note taker for sources.

These are excellent resources! Also got another book I am also exploring.

To unsubscribe from this group, send email to the-efficient-aca...@googlegroups.com.

jh...@vt.edu

unread,
Oct 18, 2010, 11:22:14 PM10/18/10
to The Efficient Academic
the benefit of slipbox is that it does 'index cards' like
zettelkasten, but integrates with both skim and bookends

Lalit "Leo" R

unread,
Oct 19, 2010, 8:22:53 AM10/19/10
to the-efficie...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Jeremy!

Zettelkasten is something totally new to me.
I am just discovering it and am referring to these links (for anyone interested)

talks about someone cataloging their ebooks in calibre and zotero using Zettelkasten.
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97855

the website of the software Zettlekasten
http://zettelkasten.danielluedecke.de/en/index.php

The translation of the getting started face - this is what I plan to use to better understand the system and then implement slip box
http://translate.google.de/translate?hl=de&sl=de&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fzettelkasten.danielluedecke.de%2Fwiki%2Fdoku.php

Also reading the review of slipbox which explains the methodology adopted by slipbox
http://db.tidbits.com/article/8720

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 11:22 PM, jer...@tmttlt.com <jh...@vt.edu> wrote:
the benefit of slipbox is that it does 'index cards' like
zettelkasten, but integrates with both skim and bookends

--

jh...@vt.edu

unread,
Oct 19, 2010, 8:50:57 AM10/19/10
to The Efficient Academic
well most people of a certain age grew up on index cards for debate
and citation, and zettelkasten is just that, slipbox is too, but
electronic

Laurence Vittes

unread,
Oct 21, 2010, 9:25:46 AM10/21/10
to the-efficie...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the insights - what do you like about Mellel?

LV

To unsubscribe from this group, send email to the-efficient-aca...@googlegroups.com.

jh...@vt.edu

unread,
Oct 22, 2010, 12:58:28 AM10/22/10
to The Efficient Academic
mellel does not change formats of anything unless i tell it to. cut
and paste into word or pages, or hit enter in the wrong place and they
reformat your documents. mellel won't and if it ever does, i'm
moving to emacs. in word i spent more time trying to recover from
minor disasters than writing. mellel there aren't any disasters...
yet. basically i'm unixy, i want a word processor that just does
things very well, simply and without much baggage. i also use
writeroom sometimes for the same reason.

Lalit "Leo" R

unread,
Oct 22, 2010, 8:36:10 AM10/22/10
to the-efficie...@googlegroups.com
Jeremy just described the reasons I use Bean. I change my background to a beize brown and my font to navy blue. It's very relaxing on the eyes to keep writing with.
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages