Scrivener for Academic Work

Michael Pitkowsky

Oct 26, 2010, 4:32:39 PM10/26/10
to the-efficie...@googlegroups.com
I find Scrivener to be excellent for writing first drafts of academic work. It allows me to have my research material (e.g. PDF's, notes, etc.) and the text that I am writing in the same program. I enjoy being able to write in smaller pieces, e.g. chapter sections, and then to put them all together. One of the best features is the split screen which allows me to view my notes or articles at the same time as I am writing. I want to emphasize that Scrivener is good for a first draft and that the final editing needs to be done on a full-blown word processor.

If you are interested in Scrivener, their website has some helpful videos.

Michael P.

rla...@gmail.com

Oct 26, 2010, 5:09:34 PM10/26/10
to the-efficie...@googlegroups.com
Thank You for your input Michael!

Laurence Vittes

Oct 26, 2010, 5:55:45 PM10/26/10
to the-efficie...@googlegroups.com
Good summary - which word processor do you use?

Michael P.

Michael P.

Oct 26, 2010, 8:08:38 PM10/26/10
to The Efficient Academic
I generally use Mellel, although for .doc or .docx documents I use
Nisus Writer Pro. I do a lot of work with Hebrew, so Mellel and NWP
are good options for me. For a nice overview of academic programs for
a Mac see here: http://bit.ly/v8p5. If you are on Windows, I am not
familiar with any options besides Microsoft Word or Open Office.

Lokman Tsui

Oct 26, 2010, 9:28:59 PM10/26/10
to the-efficie...@googlegroups.com
Hi Michael,

Thanks for sharing that. Just wondering why you choose Nisus Writer Pro over Mellel when you need to work with .doc or .docx documents? Any particular reason? Better compatibility?

Thanks,
-Lokman

Michael P.

Oct 26, 2010, 10:08:22 PM10/26/10
to The Efficient Academic
Lokman,

Mellel cannot open .docx, so I use NWP whenever that's needed. Text
Edit also opens .docx, so that is also an option.

Michael

Amílcar

Oct 27, 2010, 4:43:03 PM10/27/10
to the-efficie...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately it only runs on MAC. I am having a hard time using MS office word for large projects and scrivener would be really useful. I have found Liquid Story Binder (http://www.blackobelisksoftware.com/index.html) for windows, but it does not have the ability to add footnotes/endnotes, which makes it nearly useless for academic projects.

Scrivener will be available for windows in early 2011.

2010/10/26 Michael Pitkowsky <mpitk...@gmail.com>
I find Scrivener to be excellent for writing first drafts of academic work.  It allows me to have my research material (e.g. PDF's, notes, etc.) and the text that I am writing in the same program.   I enjoy being able to write in smaller pieces, e.g. chapter sections, and then to put them all together. One of the best features is the split screen which allows me to view my notes or articles at the same time as I am writing.  I want to emphasize that Scrivener is good for a first draft and that the final editing needs to be done on a full-blown word processor.

If you are interested in Scrivener, their website has some helpful videos.

Michael P.

Eric Durbrow

Oct 27, 2010, 4:49:01 PM10/27/10
to the-efficie...@googlegroups.com
There is a Scrivener beta for windows NOW, I believe.

>> the-efficient-aca...@googlegroups.com<the-efficient-academic%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

>> .
>> For more options, visit this group at
>> http://groups.google.com/group/the-efficient-academic?hl=en.
>>

> --

EHD
dur...@gmail.com

Jan Erik Moström

Oct 28, 2010, 3:08:51 AM10/28/10
On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 22:43, Amílcar <amilc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Unfortunately it only runs on MAC. I am having a hard time using MS office
> word for large projects and scrivener would be really useful. I have found
> Liquid Story Binder (http://www.blackobelisksoftware.com/index.html) for
> windows, but it does not have the ability to add footnotes/endnotes, which
> makes it nearly useless for academic projects.
> Scrivener will be available for windows in early 2011.

While Scrivener is Mac-only at the moment you can download a Windows
beta right now http://www.literatureandlatte.com/nanowrimo.html