How do you read your RSS feeds?

1 view

Eric Durbrow

Jan 16, 2008, 1:54:49 AM1/16/08
to The-Efficie...@googlegroups.com
Recently, Netnewswire and its Windows brother became freeware and
several sites have debated whether desktop feed readers are more
efficient than web-based ones like Google Reader. I depend on RSS
feeds for research and teaching material and I use Google Reader's
Share feature to post so that students can see what's in the news.
Two questions:

1. Is there any advantage to using a desktop application for reading
feeds?
2. What is your favorite RSS feed reader and why?

Thanks!

Eric Durbrow Ph.D. eric.d...@comcast.net
Students: visit below possible articles to discuss (check with me
before posting): http://www.google.com/reader/shared/
16296206292021843372
• Visit www.thehungersite.com

Jan Erik Moström

Jan 16, 2008, 3:27:24 AM1/16/08
to The-Efficie...@googlegroups.com
Eric Durbrow <eric.d...@comcast.net> 08-01-15 22.54

>1. Is there any advantage to using a desktop application for
>reading feeds?

Yes, the user interface is much better and it's much faster to
read, and you can scan the feeds while being off-line ... in my
opinion on-line readers are a waste of time.

>2. What is your favorite RSS feed reader and why?

NetNewsWire, great UI, fast reading, good set of features, good
integration with other apps.

Pere

Jan 16, 2008, 4:18:31 AM1/16/08
On Jan 16, 2008 9:27 AM, Jan Erik Moström <mos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, the user interface is much better and it's much faster to
> read, and you can scan the feeds while being off-line ... in my
> opinion on-line readers are a waste of time.

Jan Erik, maybe it is a waste of time for you, but not for me.

Google reader works off-line (with google gears) and I can use it in
any computer.

So, it is possible that desktop readers are better for people using
one single computer, but this is not the case for many people.

Eric, as always, there is no absolute answer, you should try both and
decide which option fits better to your needs. The decision is yours.

pere

smolk

Jan 16, 2008, 5:56:56 AM1/16/08
to The Efficient Academic
I have long used Vienna, which has always been free and offered a
great UI and many features.
Since Google has become too intrusive to my taste, I am using its apps
less and less. Even my gmail is now forwarded to my home email
address.

Willem