Good article on developing a writing habit

Eric Durbrow

Feb 11, 2010, 11:51:59 AM2/11/10
to The-Efficie...@googlegroups.com
I thought people on this list might be interested in this (non-computer) essay on developing a writing habit.
http://chronicle.com/article/The-Habit-of-Writing/64001/?sid=ja&utm_source=ja&utm_medium=en

It would be interesting to see how computer applications can help foster a writing habit. It seems in Academia, people prefer long infrequent stretches of writing time although some experts on procrastination (Boice) advocate shorter frequent writing periods.

Lalit Ramchandani

Feb 12, 2010, 9:57:44 PM2/12/10
to the-efficie...@googlegroups.com
Eric,

Thank You for sharing. I was just wondering what is yours as well as the others' perspective on the writing sessions? Does the writing time include researching, analyzing, and marking up articles?

I can't remember where I had read about defining writing broadly including the above mentioned stages of research.

Lalit

Notice of Confidential Information:
Any and all information transmitted may be confidential and/or privileged, and is intended solely for the the individual or entity to which it is addressed. Unauthorized copying, disclosure or distribution of the material as well as any action taken in reliance on it is strictly prohibited by law. If you are not the intended recipient, or have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail and related documents. Any unauthorized reading, distribution, copying, or other use of this message or its attachments is strictly prohibited. This message may not be copied or distributed without this disclaimer. Thank you.

ariew

Feb 13, 2010, 10:29:50 AM2/13/10
to The Efficient Academic
Another good series for writing is here: http://pegboylesingle.com/

There are several articles here, a series written for the Chronicle.
You can access them in the link above. She calls it "Demystifying the
Dissertation" but I found it really good to set up a writer's support
group among some of my friends.

A key insight for me is to distinguish aid in writing for content
(specific to your field and subject of research) and aid in
establishing a habit. They are two different projects (though, of
course, related). In the positive psychology literature, one of the
best models for habit forming is Alcoholics Anonymous. So, the best
tip is to simulate their habit forming techniques--frequent positive
feedback is key.

Best,

André Ariew

Department of Philosophy
434 Strickland Hall.
University of Missouri-Columbia
Columbia, MO 65211-4160
573-882-2764
ari...@missouri.edu
http://web.missouri.edu/~ariewa

On Feb 11, 10:51 am, Eric Durbrow <durb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I thought people on this list might be interested in this (non-computer) essay on developing a writing habit.http://chronicle.com/article/The-Habit-of-Writing/64001/?sid=ja&utm_s...

> It would be interesting to see how computer applications can help foster a writing habit. It seems in Academia, people prefer long infrequent stretches of writing time although some experts on procrastination (Boice) advocate shorter frequent writing periods.
>
> EHD

> durb...@gmail.com

Derek Chirnside

Feb 13, 2010, 7:57:58 PM2/13/10
to the-efficie...@googlegroups.com
I read somewhere recently on the difference between procrastination and incubation.
Incubation is bookended by intense hard work.
Incubation without activity (ie followed by procrastination) is not good.

:)

-Derek

A great topic, this is!!