Trial over, buy tasker - the qust continues.

fuzzywu...@gmail.com

Apr 26, 2024, 5:24:07 AMApr 26
to Tasker
Sorry folks, I am not wanting to seem like I am flooding the forum with posts.....

I asked a while back and didn't get any replies.

Further searching showed me the "answer" is to uninstall TASKER, and then REINSTALL it.

Yeah, that was a big mistake.

Lost all my work in doing so.
Luckily I had "backups" but they were old.

Anyway this post:
I have uninstalled TASKER and REINSTALLED it.
Went through the pain of getting some/most of my programs back.

Guess what:

I am getting the notifications again.

ITMT - be it related to the newer install, but understand that before I did the un/re-install things worked.

The "ADDON" .... wifi for tasker worked.
Now it says it is not compatible.

:(
So  few of my "programs" won't work any more.

Moving on.

I would like help with:
I have a few "programs"  (I don't know what to call them in the TASKER echo system.   they are profiles, tasks, scenes and other stuff.)

I'd like to back them up BEFORE uninstalling TASKER.
How do I know where they are/live (path) on the phone?

S21 Ultra.   6 UI installed.
Kinda wishing I didn't as that caused problems with TASKER too.

If I "loaded" some from else where (lucky backups) are they now in the local tasker directory?

When I've installed the new version where/how would I go about putting them back in the tasker directory and have them active?

Thanks in advance.

João Dias

Apr 26, 2024, 6:37:12 AMApr 26
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Hi there, thanks for the report! Can you please try this version? https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YGuMAWRfyYlUKMdgb4xyVEUfddWz_zzI/view

I fixed some issues with license checking. Sorry for the trouble!

Thank you for your contact.

   Join: connect multiple devices (send pushes, remote SMS, notifications) on Android, Windows, Mac, Linux
   Tasker: customize/automate anything on your phone!
   AutoApps: add advanced functionality to Tasker via plugins

João Dias

fuzzywu...@gmail.com

Apr 26, 2024, 5:19:21 PMApr 26
to Tasker
Thanks, but.....   (Sorry)

Before I do anything I need to know how to "backup" all my work and also make sure all the "projects" are in the TASKER directory.
It is painful having them all over the place on the phone.

João Dias

Apr 29, 2024, 5:26:26 AMApr 29
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Hi. It's not mandatory to backup your work just to update the app but if you really want to you can go into Tasker > Menu > Data > Backup.

Hope this helps!

fuzzywu...@gmail.com

Apr 29, 2024, 5:58:29 AMApr 29
to Tasker
Thanks...

But it worries me that the backup path is still in the `tasker` directory.

Yes, I could change it myself, but I am just confused about how good the "backup" will be if the directory is deleted.

Awaiting reply.

João Dias

Apr 29, 2024, 6:13:37 AMApr 29
to tas...@googlegroups.com
IF you want you can simply move the file to a different directory before installing the update, but installing the update will not delete that directory at all.

fuzzywu...@gmail.com

Apr 29, 2024, 6:18:28 AMApr 29
to Tasker
Thanks.

Yeah, that's where it is getting confusing.

I appreciate I am asking difficult questions.

Let's say I installed the new version.   (oops, gotta change my setting to block foreign installs again)

How do I check the version (from within tasker - I'm guessing)
Or:  How do I check the version.   I'm guessing it installed because it warned me about foreign installs and I activated it.

I need to learn how to put all the things I wrote in the tasker directory so they are all local/in house and not spread all over the phone's memory.

fuzzywu...@gmail.com

May 19, 2024, 5:38:38 PMMay 19
to Tasker
BAD NEWS FOLKS.

The message is back.

So now what?

francwalter

May 21, 2024, 8:41:06 AMMay 21
to Tasker
Why dont you switch to Google Play version?
Never such issues and you can install it on several devices, not just one per license.

fuzzywu...@gmail.com

May 22, 2024, 2:34:51 AMMay 22
to Tasker
AFAIK, it is the google version.

Or that is the one I originally got.

That was like...... 10 years ago.

I am mentioning it here - again - because:

It was working.
One day it threw up this message.

(I'm unsure if it went away and then came back)

I was offered solutions, one of them worked.

Then it has come back.

So if not for me, but for anyone else's benefit who is also going through the same stuff I thought I would share.

On a side note:
The message was popping up fairly often.

Like a few times a day.

NOW:
I am not seeing it for a couple of days.

SOMETHING WEIRD is happening.

João Dias

May 22, 2024, 3:48:15 AMMay 22
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Is the Google Play Store app running on your device? Are you maybe blocking it for some reason? What version of Tasker are you using?

fuzzywu...@gmail.com

May 22, 2024, 5:00:27 AMMay 22
to Tasker
So as to give the right answer:
How do I get/find which version is running?

João Dias

May 22, 2024, 5:02:40 AMMay 22
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Go into Android Settings > Apps > Tasker and the version should show up there.

fuzzywu...@gmail.com

May 22, 2024, 5:17:31 AMMay 22
to Tasker
6.2.22
(Nearly put 6.22.2)   (I need glasses)  ;)

Frank Röhm

May 22, 2024, 5:21:38 AMMay 22
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Am 22.05.2024 um 11:00 schrieb fuzzywu...@gmail.com <fuzzywu...@gmail.com>:

> So as to give the right answer:
> How do I get/find which version is running?

I have never found direct info about this (GP/DP version). A reliable way is to look into the actions. If you have Crypt Actions, it is the DP version, if Crypt is completely missing, its the GP version.

Another way is to check if you can Release the order code (license) in Menu > more > Order Validation > Release code
If this is missing it is the GP version.

João Dias

May 22, 2024, 5:34:12 AMMay 22
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Fuzzy, can you please try this version? https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YGuMAWRfyYlUKMdgb4xyVEUfddWz_zzI/view

The issue should be fixed there. Thanks!

fuzzywu...@gmail.com

May 22, 2024, 5:38:20 AMMay 22
to Tasker
Thanks.

That isn't the same one as posted a while back?
It will take a bit of time as I have to get this link to the phone.

fuzzywu...@gmail.com

May 22, 2024, 5:39:02 AMMay 22
to Tasker
Oh, and important question:

This won't delete any of my profiles/programs will it?

João Dias

May 22, 2024, 5:42:11 AMMay 22
to tas...@googlegroups.com
It should be, but for some reason you still have an older version installed 😅 This version doesn't delete any of your profiles/tasks, no.

fuzzywu...@gmail.com

May 22, 2024, 5:50:34 AMMay 22
to Tasker
Good news/bad news.

When I install it, it seems to install, but when I check back in the `settings/applications/tasker` I get the same version number.

Do I need to restart the phone?
Should I reset the phone?

fuzzywu...@gmail.com

May 22, 2024, 5:56:17 AMMay 22
to Tasker
More information:

Phone restarted and still showing same version.   :(

I'll see if I can get it to install.

João Dias

May 22, 2024, 5:58:47 AMMay 22
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Does it install if you do it from here? https://www.dropbox.com/s/2sk7ifs01excsp7/Tasker.33.apk?dl=1

fuzzywu...@gmail.com

May 22, 2024, 6:00:23 AMMay 22
to Tasker
Samsung S21 Ultra.
Nearly up to date with the one UI.

Downloaded the `.apk` file (from before)

Opened the Samsung file explorer and it showed me the recently downloaded file.

Clicked on it, gave permission to install and it seemed to do through the motions.

Still showing 6.2.22.

fuzzywu...@gmail.com

May 22, 2024, 6:04:19 AMMay 22
to Tasker
Though it is said that stupid people do the same thing over and over expecting different results:

Tried again and when I clicked on the tasker.apk file it asks which app I want to use.
I pick Package installer.
Then it says "Do you want to update this app?"
I click Update

It starts but then says "Package installer keeps stopping.
App info
Close app.

Help.

João Dias

May 22, 2024, 6:19:37 AMMay 22
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Can you simply try joining the beta and updating from Google Play?

fuzzywu...@gmail.com

May 22, 2024, 6:29:13 AMMay 22
to Tasker
will this delete any of my files?

fuzzywu...@gmail.com

May 22, 2024, 6:41:15 AMMay 22
to Tasker
Ok, I'm stupid.

I read the instructions on how to "back up".....

I'm double stupid.

I do the `data/backup`

I'm offered a prompt `Tasker/configs/user/backup.xml`

Is this backing up ALL my code?

Profiles / tasks / scenes / vars ?

It is too implicit.

Nothing done this end yet.

João Dias

May 22, 2024, 8:21:39 AMMay 22
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Updating to the beta will not delete any of your settings.

fuzzywu...@gmail.com

May 26, 2024, 8:11:31 PMMay 26
to Tasker
(Sorry, been busy.)

Well, as things were,I have not updated/upgraded.

The message has now stopped.

But who knows, it may start again - now I have said it has stopped.

fuzzywu...@gmail.com

Jun 4, 2024, 7:04:34 AMJun 4
to Tasker
Of course it came back some time after my posting the previous reply.

I tried AGAIN to get the one sent to me installed.
Previous attempts failed.   Installer stopped.

Very vague message.  No details.

But - after trying another way - it got installed.
No errors AFAIK.

Checked the settings/apps/tasker scroll down to version.

6.3.8 - beta.

(Different size to what it was.  Which is a good indication things happened.)

(Drum roll)

Still getting the message.

:shrug:

aa6vh

Jun 4, 2024, 10:03:33 AMJun 4
to Tasker
I get that message on a couple of my phones, but only when the phone is offline (not connected to the internet). such as when in Airplane mode.

How is your connectivity when this happens?

João Dias

Jun 4, 2024, 10:41:07 AMJun 4
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Do you have the Google Play Store installed and running on your device?

aa6vh

Jun 4, 2024, 11:25:33 AMJun 4
to Tasker
Yes, it is still the play store version, especially on my older phones. It is a nuisance, as sometimes it will appear mere hours after turning on Airplane mode. Turning off Airplane Mode fixes it.

Interestingly, no other app other than Tasker has produced this error.

fuzzywu...@gmail.com

Jun 4, 2024, 4:51:21 PMJun 4
to Tasker
@joaomgcd,

Yes, I do.

@aa6vh
I only have WiFi/Mobile data turned on when I need it.
Other than that they are OFF.

fuzzywu...@gmail.com

Jun 4, 2024, 4:52:35 PMJun 4
to Tasker
@joaomgcd,

SORRY,

I stuffed up - didn't I.

You said, Install the beta then update via google.

I only installed the update.

I'll address the update via google ASAP.

fuzzywu...@gmail.com

Jun 5, 2024, 1:08:47 AMJun 5
to Tasker
Well, I logged into google.play (or what ever the URL is) via the play store.

Searched for TASKER.

No matter which one I chose there was only the OPEN option.

No UPGRADE found.

Frank Roehm

Jun 5, 2024, 3:10:13 AMJun 5
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Did you join the beta in Google Play?
That means: open the Google Play app on your phone (being online!) and search for Tasker. Look if it says: Tasker (Beta).
If not, join the beta and wait.

Maybe you have issues with your Google Play app or it's service?

I rarely install apps through a browser and the Google Play website, I normally use the Google Play App. I wonder why you do.

Nicely, frank

fuzzywu...@gmail.com

Jun 5, 2024, 3:17:31 AMJun 5
to Tasker
Thanks for the reply.

Ok, the play shop app opened.

I type TASKER and press search.

This is the list I see:
tasker
tasker free
tasker by taskrabbit
autoinput tasker
macrodroid app
automate app
macrodriod device automation app
tasker settings
tasker plugin
tasker app

Selecting tasker app, I get the page with an ad at the top, then the tasker  icon/app shown below.
(Installed)  and the OPEN button to the right.

I am at a loss where to see this "BETA" bit.

I installed this YEARS ago via the app.  (Like 8 - 9 years ago)
Yes, ok, on another phone but only recently has this message come up.

Frank Roehm

Jun 5, 2024, 3:25:42 AMJun 5
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Tap on Tasker in your search list!
Now you should have TWO buttons:

'Uninstall' and 'Open'

And here you should read:

Tasker (Beta)

fuzzywu...@gmail.com

Jun 5, 2024, 3:44:57 AMJun 5
to Tasker
I am so sorry, but I seem to be missing something.

(screen shots to help explain the situation.)

Thanks.
Screenshot_20240605_173600_Google Play Store.jpg
Screenshot_20240605_173841_Settings.jpg

fuzzywu...@gmail.com

Jun 5, 2024, 4:01:10 AMJun 5
to Tasker
Oh and sorry, if I click on the OPEN button, TASKER opens.

So nothing about BETA there either.

francwalter

Jun 5, 2024, 4:43:43 AMJun 5
to Tasker
fuzzywu...@gmail.com schrieb am Mittwoch, 5. Juni 2024 um 10:01:10 UTC+2:
Oh and sorry, if I click on the OPEN button, TASKER opens.

Yes, but I told you to first tap on Tasker after your search:

Tap on Tasker in your search list!
Now you should have TWO buttons:

'Uninstall' and 'Open'

And here you should read:

Tasker (Beta)

So please could you first tap on Tasker (and NOT on the 'Open' button) and then you dont press 'Open' neither! It is just to see, if you have the Beta installed.
In your screenshot you have not yet tapped on Tasker.

fuzzywu...@gmail.com

Jun 5, 2024, 4:56:49 AMJun 5
to Tasker
Sorry.

Ok, so I click on the TASKER icon.

New screen.

Deactivate and OPEN.

Then:
What's new.

App support

Switch accounts

About this app

Then further down, the reviews.

Clicking on the "What's new" ....

Back to the "when you click on the icon" and that screen.

No mention of a BETA.

Sorry for reasons unknown I can't get the screen shots from the phone to the computer as I did earlier.
I'll keep trying and maybe go for the desperate method.
Message has been deleted

francwalter

Jun 5, 2024, 5:04:33 AMJun 5
to Tasker
Can you join the Beta group here?

fuzzywu...@gmail.com

Jun 5, 2024, 5:06:13 AMJun 5
to Tasker
Sorry that had a bit too much personal details.

Shall resend shortly.

Screenshot_20240605_184914_Google Play Store.jpg

fuzzywu...@gmail.com

Jun 5, 2024, 5:07:28 AMJun 5
to Tasker
Again I am sorry.

We are tripping over each other's messages.

So how do I join the beta group here?

I am really not having a good time/day/week with the parsing of information.
Brain crashed.

francwalter

Jun 5, 2024, 5:14:49 AMJun 5
to Tasker
Ah, now I see the screenshot (this was really clarifying):

"Switch accounts to become a beta tester
This app is associated with a different
account fxxxxxx...@gmail.xxx. To
get beta updates for this app, first switch
to that account in Play Store and join the
beta."

So please tell me that you didnt know, that you cannot run one Tasker license in Play Store with another Play Store login!???
(Google Play version's) Tasker's license sticks to the Play Store login, so if you switch Google account, you cannot use the same Tasker license.
That is furtherly why it has only the 'Deactivate' and not 'Uninstall' button.

So please login with your appropriate Google account, where you have bought Tasker in the first place and use Tasker only there.
If you want to switch Google accounts, then just uninstall Tasker completly, make a backup before that, and buy it again for this other account.

What me really wonders is, what to you do with Tasker anyway?

fuzzywu...@gmail.com

Jun 5, 2024, 5:23:58 AMJun 5
to Tasker
I shall raise my hand and say I am confused.

The e-mail address shown on the screen shot is mine.

So reading what you just said:

>To get beta updates for this app, first switch to that account in Play Store and join the beta."

Switch to which account?

f****@g****.***?
(edited because of complaint from site when I pressed <post>)

That's the one I log into the playstore with.

I have had the SAME e-mail account since I bought it.
That has followed me from phone to phone.
And this is the second only phone it has been on.

Thanks very much though for taking the time helping me.   (Though many would argue I'm not worth it.)

To summerise:
the e-mail is the same as the one with which I bought it.
The original phone is kinda now outdated.  :(

All updates until now have not been a problem.
Well, ok, not NOW...   The version one (or was it two) before this they started popping up.

Does that help?

francwalter

Jun 5, 2024, 5:36:13 AMJun 5
to Tasker
And you are sure, that when you look into Google Play account (tap on your avatar) that the email there is identical with that:
f...yw...y.d.g etc.?
(I put dots instead of letters, to keep privacy)

fuzzywu...@gmail.com

Jun 5, 2024, 5:47:52 AMJun 5
to Tasker
{{Thanks}}

I shall have to admit that is/WAS a problem.

When I bought the phone there was a bit of miss communication happened.

I'm glad you mentioned that as the playstore was on a wrong account.

So, moving on, I now see the BETA listed.

Scrolled down.

JOIN BETA.

Woo Hoo!

So, at this point the message isn't visible.

I've "joined the beta testers".....

Now the message should not happen again?

Frank Röhm

Jun 5, 2024, 10:53:30 AMJun 5
to tas...@googlegroups.com

> Am 05.06.2024 um 11:47 schrieb fuzzywu...@gmail.com <fuzzywu...@gmail.com>:
>

> Now the message should not happen again?

If your active Google Play App is connected to the exact same Google account, from which you bought once Tasker, the license issue should not happen, right.
And as I think, this has nothing to do with Beta, just that you tried to use Tasker without license (with the wrong Google account).

But still I wonder, what do you do with Tasker? How do you use it?

aa6vh

Jun 5, 2024, 11:23:45 AMJun 5
to Tasker
francwalter,

I think the problem is that Tasker is checking with the Play Store periodically (and in my opinion way too often) to see if the installed app is properly licensed. When I turn on Airplane mode, or when Mr Fuzzy turns off data and wifii (thus turning off internet access). the license verification cannot complete, and we see that error message. When I turn off Airplane mode and restore Internet access, the error message goes away since the license verification will now succeed.

fuzzywu...@gmail.com

Jun 5, 2024, 4:50:49 PMJun 5
to Tasker
I use TASKER for a lot of things.

Mostly phone, but .......

I put the phone into a quieter mode if needed.
Then allow me to restore original volume levels.

Alert me of calls/SMSs that arrive overnight.

Alert me with low battery levels

It is handy.

But recent events have killed/destroyed one which is like the "find my phone" where if I was out, I could press a button and my location was shown on my home computer.
But the recent update of the phone has stopped some of the addons working and so I can 't do that any more.

Auto reply to SMSs if I am busy.

and other stuff.

Frank Roehm

Jun 6, 2024, 12:50:58 AMJun 6
to tas...@googlegroups.com

> I use TASKER for a lot of things.
> ... the "find my phone" where if I was out, I could press a button and my location was shown on my home computer.

Tell me more about that use! Sounds interesting! I am on Android 9, I guess I still could use it.
But with find your phone it's usually not possible to press a button on the phone, as it's lost!?

You seem to be a tasker power user (like me), you are right, tasker is super handy :)

fuzzywu...@gmail.com

Jun 6, 2024, 1:13:49 AMJun 6
to Tasker
The phone turns on GPS, Mobile data.....
Gets its location and transmits it to a cloud server.

That then gets sent to my machine.

The lat/long are decoded and it is shown on a map.

But it is now broken as some of the addons are broken with recent updates to phone's software.

And you have to have the needed programs on your  home machine.

Frank Röhm

Jun 6, 2024, 1:24:51 AMJun 6
to tas...@googlegroups.com

> Am 06.06.2024 um 07:13 schrieb fuzzywu...@gmail.com <fuzzywu...@gmail.com>:
>
> The phone turns on GPS, Mobile data.....

But how do your phone turn on GPS, Mobile data, if its lost?

fuzzywu...@gmail.com

Jun 6, 2024, 1:28:39 AMJun 6
to Tasker
You seem to think it is for when the phone is lost.

It isn't / wasn't.

It was just a test I did once which I was going to expand to bigger/better things.

But now because some of the plugins / addons are broken, I can't.

And it was kind of hard to test by myself.

But every time I "pressed the button" on the phone, an icon of me would appear on the map - at my home address.   :(

So I know it works/ed.

But - as said - recent updates by the manufacturer stuffed up some of the addons.

João Dias

Jun 6, 2024, 8:34:06 AMJun 6
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately I can't seem to reproduce the issue and it's not happening for other people anymore with the version I sent you :/ Are you maybe able to let me know, step by step, how to reproduce the issue so I can try to do it myself, to reproduce it and then try to fix it? Thanks in advance!

francwalter

Jun 6, 2024, 8:54:28 AMJun 6
to Tasker
joaomgcd schrieb am Donnerstag, 6. Juni 2024 um 14:34:06 UTC+2:
Unfortunately I can't seem to reproduce the issue and it's not happening for other people anymore with the version I sent you :/ Are you maybe able to let me know, step by step, how to reproduce the issue so I can try to do it myself, to reproduce it and then try to fix it? Thanks in advance!
João Dias

Joao, he used the wrong Google account, see above :) :) :)

João Dias

Jun 6, 2024, 10:53:52 AMJun 6
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Oh 😅 Missed that!! Great, glad that's figured out then! Thanks!

fuzzywu...@gmail.com

Jun 6, 2024, 4:47:37 PMJun 6
to Tasker
To all:
I am sorry I got caught by that mistake.

As I am not constantly in the play store I missed that small detail.

Greatest apologies to you both (Francwalter and joamgcd) for not seeing that sooner.

João Dias

Jun 7, 2024, 3:37:41 AMJun 7
to tas...@googlegroups.com
No problem :) I'm just glad you got it.