Re: [தமிழ்_ஆராய்ச்சி]: GTF: மூத்த தமிழ் அரசியல் தலைவர் திரு. இரா. சம்பந்தன் மறைவு குறித்து உலகத் தமிழர் பேரவை அஞ்சலி

DR ARUJUNA SIVANANTHAN

Jul 7, 2024, 6:38:19 AMJul 7
to Tamil_Araichchi, tamil_a...@yahoogroups.com
May his soul rest in peace.

Comparisons with SJV Chelvanayagam are inevitable.

Sambandan was a large landowner in the Trincomalee area, happy to accept donations and fond of whiskey. Also, as a lawyer he was mediocre at best and clung on the perks of being a politician till the very end.

The former was one British Ceylon’s leading civil lawyers, a King’s Counsel, declined the offer of a place on the bench of its Supreme Court made by British rulers, spent all his wealth on the Tamil struggle in the end catching CTB busses for transport and died 6,000 Rupees in debt. Also, he was the first to introduce the word “Genocide” into the modern Tamil lexicon.

ஆவரங்கால்

Jul 8, 2024, 5:08:15 PM (14 days ago) Jul 8
to தமிழ் ஆராய்ச்சி
Actually Sampanthar's wife is the big landowner.

However he managed to get his wife to donate lots of land to those living in their land after 2009 difficult times.

Also Sampanthan was earing were quite big and I triy to link that to Sampanthan declining SJVs invitation to the party a couple of times then accepted in later years. (A similar story with MAS).

DR ARUJUNA SIVANANTHAN

Jul 8, 2024, 5:23:31 PM (14 days ago) Jul 8
to tamil_a...@googlegroups.com
I ought to have made this point earlier.

“Thanthai” Chelva despite being physically frail, suffering from Parkinson’s disease was at the vanguard of the Tamil civil disobedience campaign in the 1960s. He was in his sixties by then and had a metal plate on his head following his operation for Parkinson’s.

For this he was manhandled and assaulted by Ceylon’s security forces. He has surgery in U.K. for his condition and had a metal plate in his head.

Many eminent advocates served their apprenticeship under him.

His first apprentice was P Navaratnarajah, MA (Cantab), Queens Counsel and the person who drafted the “Banda-Chelva” pact.

On 8 Jul 2024, at 22:08, ஆவரங்கால் <avar...@gmail.com> wrote:

Actually Sampanthar's wife is the big landowner.

Vasi

Jul 11, 2024, 8:25:52 AM (11 days ago) Jul 11
to tamil_a...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Arujuna Sivananthan. I just checked the 1960s elections to learn more about it at Chavakachcheri Electoral District - Wikipedia
Shocking to see the following Tamil men contested against 'Thanthai' Chelva's political party. Illankai Tamil Arasu Kachchi.
It seems like the BIcycle has been (directly or indirectly) causing lots of TROUBLES to Tamils for a long time.

Who would go against 'Thanthai' Chelva?
Did you know these 4x men?
What they were up to?
If they were against 'Thanthai' Chelva, did they support Sri Lankan Government then?

I haven't heard much about them. May be they moved out of Sri Lanka or passed away.
If anyone has further information, please enlighten me.

1960 (March) Parliamentary General Election

V. Kumaraswamy - All Ceylon Tamil Congress (Bicycle) - LOST against ITAK
A. S. Kanagaratnam - Lanka Sama Samaja Party - LOST against ITAK

1960 (July) Parliamentary General Election

S. K. Thiravianayagam - All Ceylon Tamil Congress (Bicyle) - LOST against ITAK

1965 Parliamentary General Election

M. Sivananthan - All Ceylon Tamil Congress (Bicycle) - LOST against ITAK