Memorial Day 1000k - Greenville

Pam Wright

May 19, 2024, 5:20:18 PMMay 19
to Lone * Star * Randonneurs
Hi all, not too late to join LSR for a brevet-fest in Greenville Memorial Day weekend :)

Stephen's posting the 2,3,4 and 6 while I'm posting the 383 and 1000k's.   Fillable waivers attached and cue sheets if you would like to know construction, additional stores, what's up ahead and when stores close.

NOTES
  • TXDOT has lots of construction so on the attached 1000k cue sheet, I highlighted some of the bigger areas in pink.
  • Stores - Called most that we stop at and updated hours on the attached cue sheet to the best of my ability and time.
  • 400k & 600k -  mile 113.4 outbound and mile 136 inbound on the 600k Day1.   Vikram shared he was bitten on the return (mile 136) and notes that this is on an uphill, which made him slower and more vulnerable.  Photos below.
  • Mile 91.3 - Caddo Store (C&H One Stop Valero). No answer to old phone number and google now showing only corporate number.  Added Dairy Queen & Dollar General hours to attached cue sheets.
  • 600/1000k - Winnsboro Exxon has disconnected number - Please use any store and provide proof of passage
  • D1:
    • GPS:  D1 Hound Dog 383K
    • Start:  4am Sat 5/25.  (LOL Happy Birthday to meeeeee!)
    • 383k:  also offered as one-day 383k  - waiver attached - cue sheet is D1 of 1000k attached
  • D2:
    • GPS:   D2 Hound Dog 1200
    • Start:  TBD, tentatively 6am
    • Perm also available:    https://rusa.org/cgi-bin/permview_GF.pl?permid=3834
    • You are responsible for signing the RUSA permanent waiver from your personal RUSA page.
    • (You can ride Day 2 of the Hound Dog as Beauregard The Wonder Dog II, ridden twice.  This is a one-way perm, and the only controls are the start and stop.  it follows the Hound Dog route outbound.  If you elect, you can follow the Hound Dog route back in also, and that will get you a few bonus miles.)
  • D3:
    • GPS:  D3 Hound Dog 1000k 2024
    • Start:  TBD, tentatively 7am
    • Perm also available:  https://rusa.org/cgi-bin/permview_GF.pl?permid=3750
    • You are responsible for signing the RUSA permanent waiver from your personal RUSA page.
    • (Day 3 of the Hound Dog 1000k can be ridden as a perm via Is You Is Or Is You Ain't, ridden twice.  This is a one-way perm, and you can ride it out and back to cover the Day 3 route.  However, in Mount Pleasant, the Hound Dog turns around at the loop outside town, while the perm goes on into town to a store.  This adds about 1.7 miles each way, it looks like.  So if you keep a group together, everyone gets 3.4 bonus miles, or the 1000kers can chill while the permster does their bonus 3.4 miles)

Interested Riders:
  • Amy Russell
  • Chris Michels
  • Dan Driscoll
  • Pam Wright
  • Mike Misner

Pamela Wright
Waiver Hound Dog 383Km.pdf
Waiver Hound Dog 1000Km.pdf
_1000k Hound Dog Cue May2024.xlsx

StephenH

May 19, 2024, 9:09:17 PMMay 19
to Lone * Star * Randonneurs
The dog bite mileage looks to be within a mile or two of where we've had dog problems before, so likely the same dog or same owner.
You can bypass that area by riding around on Hwy 78.  I don't know how traffic would be that way- I think okay to Milburn at least.  It is 0.3 miles longer each direction to do that.
On Days 2 and 3, you generally head east into the rising sun, so consider a visor and daytime blinkies for extra visibility.
On Day 2, on the return, the scheme of this was to hit that section between Quinlan and Greenville late at night.  You have some road sections and some bridges where the shoulder ends, and if you're fast enough to get there early in the evening, the traffic may be an issue.  Regardless, make sure you're plenty lit up and reflectorized through there.