Ride Plans- July 20, 2024

StephenH

Jul 14, 2024, 1:28:36 PM (13 days ago) Jul 14
to Lone * Star * Randonneurs
On the calendar for July 20, 2024 is a 400k out of Italy.  If you are interested in riding that, please contact Dan directly (if you have not done so).  If you have any trouble getting ahold of him, shoot me an email.

Tentatively, on July 20th and 21st, I am planning to ride Perm No. 4295, "East TX Part 2- Nacogdoches to Trinity".  This is a 92 mile perm with about 7 miles of rough gravel and a little loose sand, one-way perm with overnight at Trinity, TX.  The weather that weekend has some possibility of thunderstorms, so I'll confirm plans later in the week when that gets more definite.  If you're interested in riding, let me know.  I'd likely drive down to Nacogdoches Friday night and start early Saturday.  I've ridden the gravel part before, but have never ridden the whole route.  I'll probably be on the touring bike.

Stephen H

StephenH

Jul 18, 2024, 2:08:14 PM (9 days ago) Jul 18
to Lone * Star * Randonneurs
Updated ride plans:
I've been watching the weather down in Nacogdoches.  Currently, they are forecasting 1" to 2" of rain for today, and minor flooding of the Angelina River.  So I'm going to put the kibosh on that route for the moment.  And figure to ride it at some point in the near future.

So, on to Plan B.  I've created 3 perms that have Never Been Ridden.  One of those is Beauregard the Wonder Dog II.  The original Beauregard the Wonder Dog was basically Day 2 of the Hound Dog 1200k, so it was like 200 miles.  But the "II" version is Day 2 cut in half, with an overnight at Gilmer.  So ride Greenville, Texas, to Gilmer Texas, spend the night, ride back Sunday.  There are some longish gaps between stores, and some bigger hills out towards Gilmer, so figure full Camelbak plus extra bottles.  It is all paved, I think 97 miles each way, and I'll probably be on the Lynskey.  I'll figure to return via the same route.  This is Perm No. 3834, with 156k and 3,491' of climbing.  Let me know if you're interested, and I can coordinate details.  Starting more or less at dawn on Saturday.
Stephen H
stephen...@yahoo.com