218k RUSA, 300k, 400k, 600k, 1000k ACP Brevets, May 25-27, 2024, Greenville, Texxas

StephenH

May 14, 2024, 10:20:41 PMMay 14
to Lone * Star * Randonneurs
Join us Saturday, May 25, 2024, for a 218K RUSA Brevet, or 300k, 400k, 600k ACP, or 1,000k ACP Brevets.
This post specifically covers the 218k-600k routes.  There will be a separate post with waivers and information for the 1,000k.  If you are interested in riding the 1,000k, let Dan and Pam know now, and then be watching for that additional information.

If you plan to stay in a motel in Greenville, let Dan know ASAP- he will be checking if he can get us a cheaper rate at the host motel.

These are the OK is Ok routes we have ridden for years, with some modifications in the last few years.  All rides start in Greenville, Texas.  They go north up to the historic Carpenters Bluff Bridge over Red River.  The 218k turns back east in Oklahoma and comes back in via Bonham.  The 300k continues on up to Caddo, OK, before circling back through Bonham and in.  The 400k and 600k continue on to Tishomingo and Ravia, OK, then come back in via Bonham.  Day 2 of the 600k is an out and back, the Winnsboro Wander route out to Winnsboro.

Start time:  Pending.  I anticipate the 1,000k will have a dark-thirty start, which helps hit certain control stores open later in the ride, and also reduces traffic on Hwy 69 outbound.  On the 218k-600k routes, we can start at the same time, or do a daylight start, which has certain advantages and disadvantages.  If you are riding, let me know your preferences, and we will try to juggle things around to keep people happy.

Start location:  The normal starting point for these routes is the Super Walmart parking lot at the southeast corner of I-30 and Hwy 34/ Wesley Street, Greenville, Texas.  Address is shown as 7401 I-30 Frontage Road.  Normally, coming from the west, we take the Wesley Street exit, turn right, then immediately left into the parking lot.  The entrance to the parking lot is hard to see in the dark.  Park out on the west side of the parking lot, behind the Red Lobster.  We might shift the starting point for some rides to the Best Western across the street if coordinating with the 1000k, to be confirmed.

The 218k is a RUSA brevet (contrary to the LSR schedule).  This means you get extra time and mileage credit for that extra 18k, but it does not qualify for certain ACP awards.
The other routes are all ACP brevets and qualify for certain ACP awards.  Time and mileage credits are figured on the nominal distance, without regard for any leftover k's on the route.

RUSA membership is required.  See the RUSA website for details.
Lone Star Randonneurs membership is required.  See the LSR website for details.  Get the form and money to Dan either by mail or electronically prior to the ride- do not bring money for this to the ride.
Lights and reflective gear per RUSA requirements are required for the 300k, 400k, 600k, and 1,000k.  They are recommended for the 218k, and required if we shift that to a pre-dawn start.

Complete, print, and sign the attached waiver for the ride of interest, then scan and email to both me and Dan.  Then bring the original waiver to the ride start.  If you're not sure which distance you can submit multiple waivers and decide the morning of the ride.

Additional ride notes will follow in updates.

Tentative Ride With GPS files are these.  We may edit or update these prior to the rides, so check back later for any updated versions:
OK is OK 218- Aberfoyle:   https://ridewithgps.com/routes/35540810
OK is OK 300k- Aberfoyle:  https://ridewithgps.com/routes/35541913
Ok is OK 400k:  https://ridewithgps.com/routes/42646385
Ok is OK 600k:
Day 1:  https://ridewithgps.com/routes/42646385
Day 2:  https://ridewithgps.com/routes/42942981

Note that Day 1 of the 600k is the same as the 400k.
Note that Day 2 of the 600k and Day 2 of the 1000k are not the same.

The long-range forecast shows partly cloudy Saturday and Sunday and isolated thunderstorms Monday, with 24-32% chance of rain.  That's a long way off (for forecasting) so check back right before the ride and be prepared for whatever weather happens.  The rides are officially "on" rain or shine.

Stephen H
stephen...@yahoo.com
400k_OK_Waiver.pdf
300k_OK_Waiver.pdf
218k_OK_Waiver.pdf
600k_OK_Waiver.pdf

StephenH

May 19, 2024, 10:05:51 PMMay 19
to Lone * Star * Randonneurs
Updates:
Day 1 of the 1000k is being offered as a standalone brevet.  Pam is hosting that, see her post on the 1,000k and the 383k.
Days 2 and 3 of the 1000k are available as perms, and I may ride one of those outbound Sunday, back Monday, likely Is You Is Or Is You Ain't, Greenville to Mt Pleasant.  I'll do a later start than the 1000k and likely a more leisurely ride as well.  Let me know if you're interested in riding with me there.

Ride Start Times and locations:
218k:  7:00 AM start, location pending.  Sunrise is 6:18 or so, so this is a daylight start.
300k:  Pending
400k:  4:30 AM start, start from Walmart parking lot.
600k:  Pending

Riders:
218k:
Stephen
Debbie

300:
Joe

400k:
Joe

600k:
(none)
If I've left you off, let me know.

Additional Ride Notes:
218k- You hit the store at Ector at Mile 39.3.  Stock up there!
There used to be a store open at Mile 60.  It wasn't much of a store, run by elderly people, and looked like both store and people were on borrowed time.  Per the latest report, and per Google, that store is now closed.
It looks like there is a new Dollar General at Mile 52.4, though.
The next control after that is Mile 89.5, so a gap of 50 miles from Ector.
The Red River ATV Park at Mile 78.5 might have drink available, I never have checked.  When checking online in the past, they were basically open "upon request".
Lil's Chuckwagon at Mile 82.8 is now shown as K-Garden.  As Lil's, they did sell bottled water and a few snack items, I don' t know about the current store.  Google shows hours as 11 AM–2:30 PM and
3:30–9 PM on Saturday.
Or, when you come out on Hwy 78 at Mile 64.8, you can ride two miles off-course back up to Achille for a decent store.
Dan reports that where the cue sheet warned of dogs, there weren't any, then there were some surprise dogs elsewhere.  Dogs come and go, owners come and go, fences come and go, and sometimes dogs just mellow out or get old, too.  300k, 400k, 600k, riders, see the dog-bite note on Pam's post.

Updated forecast:
Saturday- low of 74, high of 89, partly cloudy, winds from south at 14 mph, 21% chance of rain.
Sunday- low of 74, high of 90, partly cloudy, winds from S at 15 mph, 17% chance of rain.
Monday- low of 71, high of 91, partly cloudy, winds from S at 13 mph, 21% chance of rain.
Stephen H
stephen...@yahoo.com