Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy, 170k Populaire, September 6, 2021

StephenH

Aug 29, 2021, 5:01:32 PM8/29/21
to Lone * Star * Randonneurs
Hey Folks,
On Monday, September 6, 2021, we have a 170k Populaire, "Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy", out of Cleburne, Texas.

Contrary to the name, this is NOT an easy route, with lots of climbing, and in particular, one notable "wall".
Start time is 7:30 AM.
Start location is the parking lot of the Nolan River Mall, at the corner of Nolan River Road and Henderson/ Hwy 67-Bus, in Cleburne, Texas.  Park at the northwest corner, out away from the mall, and near the Circle K and Exxon convenience stores.  Address is shown as 1663 W. Henderson St., Cleburne, TX.  Nolan River Mall is a strip shopping center, not a big indoor mall.  If you use the restrooms in the convenience stores, please be a good citizen and buy stuff there, too.

Lone Star Randonneurs membership is required.  See the LSR website for details.  Get a check in to Dan prior to the event if needed.
RUSA membership is required.  See the RUSA webpage for details.
There is a ride fee, get that into Dan prior to the ride.

The RWGPS file is here:  https://ridewithgps.com/routes/26458876  I've updated this some, but figure on using it in conjunction with a written cue sheet.  I'd suggest to look it over and ask any questions ahead of time.   Double check the RWGPS for updates prior to heading out.
A cue sheet is attached.
A waiver is attached.  Print it, sign, scan, and email to Dan prior to the ride.  Please email me to let me know you're coming as well.
I anticipate that all proof of passage (including info controls) will be via electronic verification.  If you need a paper card, let me know and I will email a pdf copy.
I've just ridden this route one time.  I was able to make it up "the wall" by doing leg-press exercises in lowest gear for a while.  But it was a challenge.  So bring your granny gears, hope your chain doesn't break, and don't fall over.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VngeiFUE408  (not my video).
You hit Glen Rose at about Mile 29 and again at Mile 69, but there are no supply points in between, so be prepared to ride 30-40 miles in the hilly heat with a Camelbak or whatever it takes.
The long-range forecast is a high of 94, low of 73, 14% chance of rain, winds out of the SSE at 11 mph (more or less, cross-winds).  Humidity at 57%, fairly high.  Sunrise is 7:07, so this is a daytime start.  Control time runs out at 6:50, and sunset is at 7:46 PM, so this should be all daylight riding.

Please email me or Dan with any questions, and to let me know you're riding.
Stephen H
EasyPeasy_CueSheet.pdf
EasyPeasyWaiver.pdf

StephenH

Sep 3, 2021, 9:47:56 PM9/3/21
to Lone * Star * Randonneurs
Forecast:;  High of 94, low of 70, 10% chance of rain, partly cloudy, winds from NE at 5 to 10 mph.  Humidity 59%, which is somewhat high.

Rider list:
Debbie
Dan
Pam
Stephen
Sharon
Delwin
If you're riding and not on the list, please let me know.  Or if you're on there and not riding, please let me know.
Stephen H

StephenH

Sep 4, 2021, 10:42:47 PM9/4/21
to Lone * Star * Randonneurs
To answer some questions from today:
"The Wall" is about Mile 45.9 on the RWPGS route above.  You turn a corner (info control there), go over one bump, see the sideways-truck-on-cheese sign, and there you are.
"The Wall" is about 0.25 miles long, from Mile 45.9 to Mile 46.16 or so.
According to the Paluxy Pedal website, The Wall is "a hill with 19% grade at the top".  Based on past experience, the percent grades can vary depending on how they're measured, and if there are several numbers floating around, people tend to use the steepest.
The longest gap between services:  Supply points are in Glen Rose both times, which is an open control on the way out, and not a control on the return, so you can stop anywhere in town both times.  I recommend the Tiger Corner Exxon station both times.  Doing it that way, it's 28.5 miles from start to that store.  Then from that store back to that store is 41 miles.  Then from that store back in is 36.2 miles.  If you stop at David's grocery store instead, you can adjust this to 30/39.5/36.2 splits.  Dan, I told you wrong this afternoon when I was going off memory.
There may be water, snacks, or vending machines available at the Fossil Rim wildlife place, but I haven't been in to see.  I remember that parking lot as a rough gravel parking lot to get back to it, too.  And it's not that far out of Glen Rose.
In the past, we've gotten water at the churches at Mile 87.5 and at Mile 96.4.  However, that's been a while, that access can vary, and water quality may vary as well, so no guarantees in either case.
There are no other stores except for what is in Glen Rose.
So be prepared for long hot hilly spans between supply points and plan accordingly!
There is a less-steep and shorter but still notable hill at Mile 63.  This is Dinosaur Hill.  When you see a cow sign, you're almost there.  Don't get caught in a high gear as you start up.  It's short, but around 12% as best I remember.
There are a number of lesser hills that will catch your attention as well.

Parts of this route are on the Goatneck 112k and the Goatneck 205k route.  "The Wall" is on the Paluxy Pedal charity ride on October 2nd.  There was a Goatneck charity ride on July 31st that does part of this route as well.

We've ridden this route once as a Populaire, and that was on October 6, 2018.
I've ridden this route once as a Permanent, and that was in November, 2017.
So be warned:  It'll be hotter this time than the previous times we've ridden it.  And leg cramps and steep hills are not a good combination!

Updated rider list:
Debbie
Dan
Pam
Stephen
Sharon
Delwin
Gary
Dana

Also, I plan to be at the ride start a half-hour prior to the start.
Any questions, or if you need to be added to or removed from the list, let me know.
Stephen H