July 6, August 3rd brevets- night riding, anyone?

StephenH

Jun 25, 2024, 1:39:03 PM (4 days ago) Jun 25
to Lone * Star * Randonneurs
Saturday, July 6th, we have the Jailhouse routes, 104k, 216k, 301k scheduled.
On the 200k, all controls are 24-hour.
On the 300k, the controls are not 24-hour, but there are alternate stores fairly close that are.
These are planned to be normal daylight starts, but both of these routes can be ridden as overnight routes if desired.
If you plan to ride either of these, please let me know if you'd prefer a daytime ride, nighttime ride, or open to either.  (The nighttime ride would be Saturday night.)

Saturday, August the 3rd, we have the Midnight Rider, a 200k brevet from the City of West, Texas, near Waco, to Fairfield and back.  This route was specifically set up for nighttime riding in the heat, with stores every 20 miles or so that are open all night.  I haven't ridden the Fairfield part in daylight, and it may be a little trafficky over there in the daytime.  But if you plan to ride this route, please let me know if you'd prefer a daytime ride, nighttime ride, or open to either.  The nighttime ride will be Saturday night.

Both of these routes are set early in the month so you can get a 200k in first thing.  Night riding can make it considerably cooler.  But, sometimes, it can be just 100% humidity all night, too, and you have to deal with staying awake, etc.  So there are plusses and minuses.

But, let me know if there's a preference.  If I don't hear from anyone, or get an answer or two either way, I'll stick with daytime for Jailhouse and nighttime for Midnight Rider.

I'll have separate signup posts for them as the dates get closer.
Thanks,
Stephen H