Maybe Pavey 128k Populaire, June 29, 2024

StephenH

Jun 18, 2024, 9:00:16 PM (11 days ago) Jun 18
to Lone * Star * Randonneurs
Hey Folks:
I just had cataract surgery on my left eye, and all seems to be well there.  But because of that, I don't plan to ride on June 22.  More likely, will try a hike around White Rock Lake or something along that line (holler if you're interested in that!).  I'll also be trying to sort out new mirror and cue-sheet-seeing options.

But, join us June 29th for the inaugural running of the Maybe Pavey 128k RUSA Populaire out of Alvarado, Texas.

The route is here:  https://ridewithgps.com/routes/44396257  Most of the route is rural or semi-rural narrow winding country roads with low traffic.  The "Maybe Pavey" name comes from the fact that the first time I rode this, it had three stretches of gravel.  Two of those turned out to be temporary and have since been repaved.  The third section is short, smooth, fine gravel, similar to the local bike trails, and generally no problem for a road bike.  Of course, the counties may spring some new gravel on us at any time.

This route has stores at Mile 26.1, 42.2, 61.1, plus the start/stop, so it makes a pretty good hot-weather route.  There is some tree shade along the way.  That tree shade also gives me "speckled shadows" which can make it hard for me to spot potholes, and these quaint scenic byways are not always that smooth even if paved.  There are two or three wooden bridges that need some caution, although usually not a problem.  So get a comfortable bike, don't get in a hurry, and chug your way through it.

Start time:  7:00 AM.  Sunrise is at 6:25 AM, so this is a daylight start.

Start Location:  Same place as Red Bandana.  Specifically, the Alvarado High School parking lot.  From Hwy 67 and I-35W, proceed south on the I-35W service road, and use the onramp to get on the freeway.  Then take the first exit, Exit 24, for FM 3136/FM 1706.  At the traffic light, turn back left under the freeway, then turn right on the far service road.  Proceed down past the off-ramp stop-sign, and turn into the school parking lot.  This turn is hard to see in the dark.  Go down to the end of the parking lot, then back up close to the road to park.  You pass the start control store on the way to the parking lot.  The QT up at Hwy 67 may have nicer restrooms, though.

Lone Star Randonneurs membership is required to ride.  See the LSR website for details.  If you are just signing up, get the form and money in to Dan prior to the ride, do not bring it to the ride start.
RUSA membership is required to ride.  See the RUSA website for details.
A waiver is attached.  Print, complete, sign, scan, and email to both me and Dan.  And bring the original to the ride start.

The long-range forecast shows a low of 77, high of 96, 24% chance of rain, 62% humidity, winds SSE at 10-15 mph.  That forecast may change, so check closer to the date, but bet that it will be some variation of "hot and sweaty".  So bring your Camelbak and bottles, and be prepared for some warmth.

Check back for any updates and rider list.
Stephen H
stephen...@yahoo.com
MaybePaveyWaiver.pdf

StephenH

Jun 25, 2024, 1:22:09 PM (4 days ago) Jun 25
to Lone * Star * Randonneurs
Update:
Riders:
Stephen
Debbie
Dan- maybe
Pam- maybe
If you're riding and not on the list, let me know!

Forecast:  High of 99, low of 78, sunny, 5% chance of rain, winds from south at 13 mph.  Humidity 56%, ie, somewhat sweaty, I do believe.