Dixie's Little Stop, June 15, 2024, Italy, TX

StephenH

Jun 12, 2024, 1:30:39 PMJun 12
to Lone * Star * Randonneurs
I'm figuring to ride Perm No. 323, Dixie's Little Stop, on Saturday, June 15th, with a 7:30 AM start.
Come join the fun if you're so inclined.
My re-route on getting out of Italy worked pretty well last week (except for one dog), so I'll use that again.
If somebody else has a longer, shorter, or better route in mind, let me know, I'm somewhat open on things to do.
Dixie's Little Stop is around 81 miles total.  It used to go to the Dixie's store in Mt Calm.  That closed for a bit, and the route was re-routed up to the Valero a couple of miles up Hwy 31.
Malone is about the quarter-point and three-quarter-point, so you've got a store every 20 miles or so if needed, plus a bonus store at Milford, so it's a pretty good route in the heat.
My re-route on the start goes northwest on LR Campbell to Carolyn Road, down to Dale Acres Road, then cuts over to rejoin Hwy 77.  This cuts out some of the traffic on Hwy 34 and Hwy 77.  Last week, we had one dog on the outbound, but he wasn't there on the return.  There was maybe a 1/4 or 1/2 mile of Dale Acres that was paved, but had a thin layer of fine gravel over the pavement- so it wasn't soft or rough like gravel, but still slickish like gravel.  And assorted potholes to make sure you're paying attention.
The Tour de Italy is also that day.  I think the only place we overlap is they'll be coming back up FM 308 between Malone and Mertens.  So depending on the timing, we may see none of them, or may see 500 cyclists in that stretch.
The forecast shows low of 73, high of 94, sunny, winds from south at 9 mph.  I think humidity is moderate (59-74%).  So yeah, sweaty.
Let me know if you're interested, and I'll keep you posted on any changes.
Stephen H
stephen...@yahoo.com