Memorial Day Brevet-fest in Greenville

Pam Wright

May 18, 2023, 9:06:13 PM5/18/23
to Lone * Star * Randonneurs
Hi all

Hope you've got Memorial Day penciled on your calendar for a great set of rides!  Stephen Hazelton reworked a couple of these routes a while back to keep them together as long as possible, so thanks Stephen!

As usual, if you're a yes or a maybe, please print, sign and email photos of your waivers to Dan and me.  You can send waivers in for multiple distances and wait to decide til closer to ride start.  No Waiver * No Ride.

RSVPs will be posted as we receive waivers, so hope you'll plan to come out!

The details:

  • Services:  pretty plentiful in Greenville and stores along the way.  Known services are marked on the cue sheets.
  • Cue Sheet:  Please print your own cue sheet.  Not all info has been transferred to the GPS files.
  • Night Gear:  Required for 300, 400, 600, 1000k.  Sun is 6:18a-8:25p
  1. ACP 218K   OK is OK 218- Aberfoyle ACP Times
    1. Starts Walmart
    2. Rides with all routes for about 64.5 miles then turns off
  1. ACP 300k  OK is OK 300 - Aberfoyle ACP Times
    1. Starts Walmart
    2. Rides with longer rides until mile 91, then turns off
  1. ACP 400k Ok is Ok 400
    1. Same course as Day 1 of the 600k
    2. Ok is OK 400k and Day 1 of 600k_2019 Version (wControls)
  1. ACP 600k.  OK is OK 602km. (Cue sheet updated 4.23.23)
    1. D1 -  Ok is OK 400k and Day 1 of 600k_2019 Version
    2. D2 - OK is OK 600k D2, 2019version, ACP Times

  2. ACP Hound Dog 1000k

  • WAIVERS:  Attached are files for the RUSA waiver.  Sign, date, scan, and email the waiver to Dan (dandri...@me.com) and me by Thursday 5/25 AND bring your printed version to Dan at the ride start.
  • CUE SHEETS:  Attached.   Unless otherwise arranged, I will not have copies at the ride start.
  • PROOF OF PASSAGE:  Please plan to provide your GPS file, time-stamped selfies at each control and/or store receipts.  After you finish, please email your proof of passage and RUSA # to Dan. YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR TEXTING YOUR RUSA # AND FINISH INFO TO DAN 817.925.0158.

Please note:

Randonneuring inherently involves various hazards, and riders assume all risks associated with the activity.  Hazards include, but are not limited to, motor vehicles; other cyclists; loose dogs, livestock or wild animals; road flaws including cracks, potholes, ridges, gratings, rumble strips, sand or gravel; lightning, heat, cold, ice, or other hazardous weather; mechanical failures; fatigue; medical conditions; assault.  All routes are on public roads or paths, and neither the route nor any flaws in the road surface are marked.  All routes are unsupported.  Riders will be required to sign and submit the attached waiver prior to riding.  Please read it, as you are signing away some rights and are responsible for knowing what you sign.

Please ask any questions and I will post RSVPs and any updates to this email string.  And thanks in advance if you see anything amiss...lemme know :)  Ciao for now and holler back with questions!

Pam Wright

Waiver OKisOK 218 Aberfoyle.pdf
_OK is OK 600K_Cue_MotelStart_2021.xls
Waiver OKisOK 300 Aberfoyle.pdf
Waiver OKisOK 400.pdf
Waiver OKisOK 600.pdf
Waiver Hound Dog 1000k.pdf
OK is OK 218K-Aberfoyle 2022.xls
OK is OK 300K _Aberfoyle_5_14_2021.xls
_OK is OK 400K_MotelStart_2023.xls
_1000k Hound Dog Cue May2021.xlsx

Vikramsinh Jadhav

May 19, 2023, 12:12:31 PM5/19/23
to Pam Wright, Lone * Star * Randonneurs
Just a heads-up for people riding to Tishomingo(OK). Last year on 600k day1, I was chased by a few dogs and a pit bull bit me, not sure if the dog is still there but better to be cautious.

Below are the location details
While going on the uphill near Ten Point ranch on the state highway 22 in the direction from Tishomingo(OK) to Caddo(OK), dogs came from the house on the left-hand side. The exact location (the stretch of the road) is mapped here.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/34.2087333,-96.5901281/34.2087329,-96.5875024/@34.2087603,-96.5894234,343m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!4m1!3e0

Have a great ride!!
Vikram

StephenH

May 20, 2023, 11:32:51 PM5/20/23
to Lone * Star * Randonneurs
Several weeks ago, we did the Bug Tussle and Beyond perm.  So some notes:
-There were about 2.3 miles of gravel north of Gober, coming from Bonham back to Wolfe City.  Not sure what it's like now.  It was fairly smooth roadbase, and we just rode through it.  You can detour around, but it's extra distance, and keeps you on a busier road (Hwy 78).  So I plan to just ride through it again.
-The control store in Bonham was a KwikChek store.  Several, or maybe all, of the KwikChek stores have been bought by TXB and are now TXB stores.  For official control stores, the control is the location, not the brand name, so you use whatever is there.  If riding the 400k, you may want to confirm that store times in Bonham haven't changed, or are least are acceptable to you.
-When I reworked the 200k route, it got longer.  To help with that, I eliminated Achille as a control and added the Silver Dollar Grocery as a control.  When we were there a year or two ago, it was being run by a man who appeared to be around 80 years old.  So Google shows it still open, but that is the kind of store that could disappear overnight, too.  Anyway, when leaving Ector, consider stocking up with enough water for a long gap.  If you have to, you can go into Achille, but that adds about 4 miles.
-

Peter Rajcani

May 23, 2023, 10:03:31 AM5/23/23
to Lone * Star * Randonneurs, StephenH
Hi everyone,

I pre-rode the entire 600k route this past weekend and here my ride notes:
- There is about 5 miles of gravel (MP 54 to 59) before the Old Carpenter Bluff bridge to Oklahoma. It starts when you turn onto Carpenter Bluff Rd and continues all the way to the bridge. The gravel is hardpack, mostly smooth and very rideable if you pick a smooth line. I was on 28c tires with 80 psi pressure and got through it just fine. There are a few short paved sections to break up the gravel.
- There is road construction after Bonham (MP 210-215) with about 3/4 mile of gravel / stripped pavement. This section was a bit rough, but it is short.
- There is rough pavement with potholes after Bokchito (MP 175 - 185). I rode this section after dark, so I had to run my lights on high beam to see the potholes.
- Dog encounters: MP 36 (pack of 3 dogs), 180 (two dogs) and several dogs on Day 2 (MP 20-30). I was able to deal with them using my dog horn.
- No issues with the "bad dog" at MP 113, looks like the owner got another dog (the one that was there was smaller and was not chasing)
- Very little traffic after leaving Greenville (I started at 6:40 am), the Hwy 69 shoulder to Celeste was very rough, so I rode on the highway
- Lot of traffic between Achille and Durant (MP 70-78) with no shoulder. I rode this section in early afternoon on Saturday so it was very busy.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.

Take care,

Peter

Pam Wright

May 24, 2023, 9:27:46 PM5/24/23
to Lone * Star * Randonneurs

Pam Wright

    May 25, 2023, 6:39:53 PM5/25/23
    to Lone * Star * Randonneurs
    Hey Pam!

    I will probably drive up tomorrow mid-afternoon so I don't have to drive in so early on Saturday.  I looked at both the Best Western and then Holiday Inn Express.  Geez, Holiday Inn Express has gotten super proud of what they are charging these days.  I will call Best Western and work with them.  I remember the Walmart SuperCenter well.  I am not sure I remember exactly where we parked there but I will find out.

    Thanks,
    Debbie

    Dan Driscoll

    May 25, 2023, 7:11:20 PM5/25/23
    to Debbie Breaud, B --LSR Group
    Debbie, I have negotiated a $99.00 a night rate at the Best Western, use the code “Lone Star Rally”.

    If you come up Friday we’ll be doing dinner about 5:00pm and would love to have ya join us, not sure about the guest list for sure yet, but may be a few others.

    I’ll have a Hot breakfast set out at 5:45am and the longer rides will leave at 6:00am so you can see us off, and still have tons of time to get over to Walmart for the 200km start.

    DanD

    Debbie

    May 25, 2023, 7:34:29 PM5/25/23
    to Lone * Star * Randonneurs
    Dan, I just talked to the hotel and I was told your rooms are all sold out unless I wanted to pay a $189.00 or $199.00 before tax.

    Pam Wright

    May 26, 2023, 11:48:35 AM5/26/23
    to Lone * Star * Randonneurs, Houston Randonneurs E-Mail Group, Hill Country Randonneurs E-Mail Group, Heart of Texas Randonneurs
    HI all, not too late to join LSR for a brevet-fest in Greenville this weekend :)   Updated RSVPs below and a dog reminder from Vikram from just a year ago.  Notes have been added to the attached cue sheets and GPS!!

    FYI, revised cue sheets attached reflecting additional road notes shared from Peter's 600k preride.  I will have cue sheets & waivers available tonight if needed, but won't be at the 200k start tomorrow.  Also learning my slowwwww internet at home wasn't saving corrections to the 200k GPS, but it's saved now and is not 200 miles :)

[...]

    David Carpenter

    300k
    ✔️ Tak N

    400k - Start time 6am from Best Western
    Joe L
    ✔️DanD
    ✔️Pam
    Russell D
    ✔️Chris M
    ✔️John Hsu

    600k - Start time 6am from Best Western
    ✔️ Brock Durham

    Inline image

    Hope you've got Memorial Day penciled on your calendar for a great set of rides!  Stephen Hazelton reworked a couple of these routes a while back to keep them together as long as possible, so thanks Stephen!

    As usual, if you're a yes or a maybe, please print, sign and email a pdf of your waiver(s) to Dan and me.  You can send waivers in for multiple distances and wait to decide til closer to ride start.  No Waiver * No Ride.

    RSVPs will be posted as we receive waivers, so hope you'll plan to come out!

    The details:

    • Start Info:
        • Start Time - currently 7am for 200 | 6am for 300/400/600
        • START TIME MAY BE ADJUSTED FOR THE LONGER RIDES IF YOU WILL LET ME KNOW ASAP IF YOU'D PREFER TO START EARLIER.
        • All routes officially start at Walmart and end at the Exxon on Wesley.  Anyone staying at the Best Western/Holiday Inn will ride past the Walmart so no need to change cue sheets or GPS.  Routes stay together the first 100k, then the longer routes peel off as shared below.
        • 903.454.3700
        • Rate:  Current web search shows $130/night.  Call and ask for the $99 Lone Star Rally rate, but sounds like they may not be honoring that this late.
[...]

        Debbie

        May 26, 2023, 12:40:33 PM5/26/23
        to Lone * Star * Randonneurs
        Good morning,

        Based on what I was told by the Hotel that they were booked unless I wanted to pay some really high rates,  my plan is to drive in early tomorrow morning and meet everyone early for the 218K starting point at Wal Mart.  Stephen can you verify if y'all are starting at 6:30 a.m. or 7:00  a.m.?

        Thanks!
        Debbie

        Pam Wright

        May 17, 2024, 6:17:29 PMMay 17
        to Lone * Star * Randonneurs

        You can ride Day 2 of the Hound Dog as Beauregard The Wonder Dog II, ridden twice.  This is a one-way perm, and the only controls are the start and stop.  it follows the Hound Dog route outbound.  If you elect, you can follow the Hound Dog route back in also, and that will get you a few bonus miles.

        Day 3 of the Hound Dog 1000k can be ridden as a perm via Is You Is Or Is You Ain't, ridden twice.  This is a one-way perm, and you can ride it out and back to cover the Day 3 route.  However, in Mount Pleasant, the Hound Dog turns around at the loop outside town, while the perm goes on into town to a store.  This adds about 1.7 miles each way, it looks like.  So if you keep a group together, everyone gets 3.4 bonus miles, or the 1000kers can chill while the permster does their bonus 3.4 miles.

        Pam Wright

        Pam Wright

        May 17, 2024, 6:18:48 PMMay 17
        to Lone * Star * Randonneurs
        Ignore this email!!!  I was trying to send my Mom something (as she looked over my shoulder) and it sent both emails :(. Working on the 1000k ride info :)

        Pamela Wright