July 2nd, 2022, Before La Bella 200k RUSA Brevet

StephenH

Jun 17, 2022, 5:50:10 PM6/17/22
to Lone * Star * Randonneurs
Come join us on Saturday, July 2nd, for the Before La Bella 200k RUSA Brevet.
This is an old route, and I assume was a predecessor to the La Bella Rani routes.  It was unused for many years, and then resurrected just for something different.  It's an okay route, nothing great.  It is fairly flat and has stores fairly close, so that's why we'll use it for this time slot.
Start location:  Italy, Texas, at the Exxon Tiger Mart/ Pilot store at I-35 and Hwy 34.
Start time:  Start time may vary, but we will figure a group start at 7:00 AM.

RUSA membership is required, see the RUSA website if not a member.
Lone Star Randonneur membership is required, see the LSR sit if not a member.
There is a $5 ride fee to defray insurance, get that to Dan prior to the ride.
Cue sheet and waiver are attached.  Complete the waiver and scan and send to Dan and copy me prior to the ride.
We will have some riders out of town on other adventures, and due to the hot heat, ridership may be limited.

The long-range forecast doesn't show the 2nd yet.  For the first, they show highs over a 100 (all that week), low but non-zero chance of rain, winds from the south.  Sunrise is 6:24 AM, sunset is 8:26, so this is a "daylight ride".  The route starts off going east, so consider a sunvisor for that riding into the sunrise.

Ride With GPS file is here:  https://ridewithgps.com/routes/4763915
I see this file shows going down the wrong side of the highway on Hwy 31, that's because the file is older than the highway.  I'll redo it if I have time.
The RWGPS file is intended to be used with a written cue sheet, not as a stand-alone guide.

Stores on the route:
Mile 7.6- Avalon, store/cafe, no need to stop that early in the ride, tho.
Mile 16.7, Blooming Grove- convenience store 1 block off-route, Family Dollar and donut place on route, new Dollar General east of town.
Mile 33.9, Dawson- convenience store on route.
Mile 56.3, Coolidge- convenience store on route.
Mile 67.4, Hubbard- Sefco and some other stores in town on route.
Mile 73.2, Valero outside Mt Calm, watch traffic getting in and out of here.
Mile 75.4, Mt Calm, Dos Juanes Mexican Restaurant and mini-store, you can't hardly see it riding by on the highway- they do sell ice and stuff.
Mile 102.9, Malone, Lucko's or whatever it's called now.
Mile 119.1, Milford, Milford Country Store.  You're almost done here, but this place has been a lifesaver a time or two, too.
Normally, I'll figure to stop at Blooming Grove only if needed, stop at Dawson, Coolidge, the Mile 73.2 Valero, and Malone.  Mile 73.2 to Malone is then the longest gap in services, and also you hit in the hot part of the day.
The route passes through Leroy and some other small towns with no stores open that I'm aware of.

If you're interested in doing a pre-ride, contact Dan for details.
If you're interested in doing this as a night-ride, also contact Dan well ahead of the ride.  The store in Hubbard, Mile 67.4, is 24 hours, the store at Mile 73.2 is open reasonably late.  But figure to make it to one of those stores and then find nothing open beyond there.  Of course, that may vary depending on how fast you ride and what time you start.  My experience:  Sometime these night rides work pretty well, other times, you'll find it cooler but 105% humidity and you still sweat buckets, it's just darker.

Check back for updates prior to the ride.
Stephen H
stephen...@yahoo.com

Note:
Randonneuring inherently involves various hazards, and riders assume all risks associated with the activity.  Hazards include, but are not limited to, motor vehicles; other cyclists; loose dogs, livestock or wild animals; road flaws including cracks, potholes, ridges, gratings, rumble strips, sand or gravel; lightning, heat, cold, ice, or other hazardous weather; mechanical failures; fatigue; medical conditions; assault.  All routes are on public roads or paths, and neither the route nor any flaws in the road surface are marked.  All routes are unsupported.  Riders will be required to sign and submit the attached waiver prior to riding.  Please read it, as you are signing away some rights and are responsible for knowing what you sign.

BeforeLaBellawWaiver.pdf
BeforeLaBellaCue.pdf

StephenH

Jun 26, 2022, 10:13:00 PM6/26/22
to Lone * Star * Randonneurs
Update:
It has been suggested to move the group start time to 5:00 AM to avoid some of the afternoon heat, and that is currently pending, to be confirmed mid-week, partly depending on the weather forecast.  (You do not need to start at the group start time.)
New and updated RWGPS file:  https://ridewithgps.com/routes/39968541
This was rerouted south of Dawson to miss a dog area, also some highway numbers were corrected, etc.
An updated cue sheet is attached as well.
Let me know if you see any problems with either.
Route was pre-ridden this last week, and bridges are all passable, etc.

Current forecast is a high of 96, low of 76, 34% chance of rain with isolated thunderstorms in the morning.

Riders, currently:
Stephen
Sharon
Debbie
Chris Michels
If I've left you off the list, or you're on the list and not riding, please let me know.

Thanks,
Stephen H
BeforeLaBellaCue_Rev_6_26_22.pdf

StephenH

Jun 28, 2022, 1:56:45 PM6/28/22
to Lone * Star * Randonneurs
Update:  Group start at 5:00 AM.  Some of us are staying at Italy Inn, some driving out.  The early-morning storms have left the forecast.
If you've not stayed in Italy Inn before, the secret is to have low expectations, it is not a high class place.  Last I remember, they don't have fridges or microwaves in the room, but that could change.
There are motels 15 to 20 miles away in Waxahachie to the north or Hillsboro to the south if you find the Italy Inn full, or want something higher-class.
I called to make my reservation, couldn't get through after several tries, finally called the store number.  It turned out, somebody had put the motel phone on "DND".
Reminder:  It is DARK at 5:00.  Headlight, taillight(s) and reflective gear meeting RUSA standards are required for the 5:00 AM start.

Updated rider list:
Stephen
Sharon
Debbie
Chris Michels
Sue
Joe Landry
If I've left you off the list, or you're on it and not riding, please let me know.
Thanks,
Stephen H

Pam Wright

Jun 28, 2022, 2:20:16 PM6/28/22
to Lone * Star * Randonneurs
Last week, our room DID have micro & fridge!  She said "yes" when I asked about other rooms, but you might still double-check if you book by calling them.  Booking.com showed they have them too :-)  Our room was a little better than in the past, but I'd still encourage eye mask and ear plugs.

Pam Wright

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/Talk2LSR/401d6258-a136-4031-89cb-a2eef6217020n%40googlegroups.com
.

Dan Driscoll

Jun 28, 2022, 2:38:28 PM6/28/22
to Stephen Hazelton, LSR Group
FYI, The Italy Inn now has a Frig and Microwave in each room, and included in your room fee is free coffee and sodas.

Last weekend I got a couple large cups of coffee Friday evening and then just nuked them early Saturday morning, so I did not have to scare everyone walking out of the elevator in my PJ’s for coffee.

DanD

Susan Shields

Jun 28, 2022, 3:34:42 PM6/28/22
to StephenH, Lone * Star * Randonneurs
Thanks, Stephen!

On Jun 28, 2022, at 12:56 PM, 'StephenH' via Lone * Star * Randonneurs <Talk...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Update:  Group start at 5:00 AM.  Some of us are staying at Italy Inn, some driving out.  The early-morning storms have left the forecast.

StephenH

Jun 29, 2022, 10:40:14 PM6/29/22
to Lone * Star * Randonneurs
Updated forecast:
High of 92, low of 75, 40% chance of rain with scattered showers and thunderstorms mainly in the afternoon, winds SSE at 10-15 mph.
The forecast has changed every time I look at it, so check again immediately prior to the ride.

Updated rider list:
Stephen
Sharon
Debbie