Goatneck Brevet Series, April 24 NEW

Pam Wright

Apr 17, 2021, 8:29:37 AM4/17/21
to Lone * Star * Randonneurs
Hi all,

As Vickie has said... The winds will blow, the dogs will chase and the chip seal will be all over the place :-)  What better way to spend your weekend than playing in the hills to & from Cleburne!  Plenty of options, so take your pick and come play.

The details:
  • $5 Insurance fee - New from 2020 - All riders are required to pay a $5 insurance fee, per ride, IN ADVANCE OF RIDING.  This will go directly to RUSA, so please get with Dan (dandri...@me.com) and pay in advance into a "piggy bank" for yourself (you can pay in advance for multiple rides and save lots of hassle).  You are not allowed to pay after the ride.
  • Start Info:  Nolan River Mall, Cleburne, TX
    • Park:  Parking lot NW corner:  115 S. Nolan River Rd
    • Services:  Circle K (24hr) and Exxon (5a-10p) are at this intersection
    • Cue Sheet:  Please plan to print your own cue sheet.  I do not plan to bring any printed cues unless you let me know by Thursday that you need a printed version.
    • Start:  anytime by Noon on Sat 4/24.  Group start at 7am.
    • Night Gear:  Required for 300, 400 & 600k.  Sun is 6:48a-8:06p (so almost 13.5hrs!)
  • Routes:  All routes are out&back, so they stay together until each one turns around, then and the 600k goes out for a new loop 2.  As of today, the biggest construction area is about mile 53.6 on all routes, but the roadway is clear.
    1. ACP 200k (13.5hr time limit): Cleburne Goatneck 200k  - Out & Back to Bluff Dale
    2. RUSA 300k (20hr time limit):  Goat Neck 300 - Out & Back to Info Control.  This will be a revised, reduced route, so heads-up on the cue sheet and sign control.  If you go to the highway, you get bonus miles.  If you shortcut, you won't be official.  The new  turnaround is an info control at mile 93.3.  Still tweaking the cue sheet, so will send with any update.
    3. ACP 400k (27hr time limit): 400k Cleburne Goatneck via Godley  Out & Back to Palo PintoWith 600 k'ers.  Upon return to Nolan River, you will continue 12miles to Godley info control, then return.  One cool thing is you can stop at your vehicle (or hotel) to refuel or change clothing options.  FYI, I think the roughest part of the route is on this last loop on FM4.
    4. ACP 600k (40hr time limit):
  • WAIVERS:  Attached are files for the RUSA waiver.   Print these for your own use.  Unless otherwise arranged, I will not have copies at the ride start.  Sign, date, scan, and email the waiver to Dan prior to the ride start, and please let me know you're riding as well.

  • CUE SHEETS:  I'm tweaking and will send with updates.

  • PROOF OF PASSAGE:  Please plan to provide your GPS file, time-stamped selfies at each control and/or store receipts.  After you finish, please email your proof of passage and RUSA # to Dan. YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR SUBMITTING YOUR FINISH INFO.

  • Hotels:  Several options and Dan has arranged a group rate of $60.00 + tax at the Super 8, but you need to call to get it.  To get the discounted rate talk to Paddy (817.556.3330) and tell him you're with Lone Star.  This has smoking rooms, so if that's important to you, make sure you request a non smoking room.  It's the closest motel to the start and there are 24 hr stores right there on the corner, plus a Sonic and all kinds of fast food within driving distance.  All have microwave/refrig in rooms.  Don't get your hopes us for breakfast at the cheap ones...plan your own :)

  1. Motel 6 Cleburne Hotel in Cleburne TX ($45+) | Motel6.com  right now, showing $51-56/night
  2. Holiday Inn Express:  right now, showing $85-106/night
  3. Hampton Inn about .5miles east and showing about $85-91/night

Please note:
Randonneuring inherently involves various hazards, and riders assume all risks associated with the activity.  Hazards include, but are not limited to, motor vehicles; other cyclists; loose dogs, livestock or wild animals; road flaws including cracks, potholes, ridges, gratings, rumble strips, sand or gravel; lightning, heat, cold, ice, or other hazardous weather; mechanical failures; fatigue; medical conditions; assault.  All routes are on public roads or paths, and neither the route nor any flaws in the road surface are marked.  All routes are unsupported.  Riders will be required to sign and submit the attached waiver prior to riding.  Please read it, as you are signing away some rights and are responsible for knowing what you sign.

Please ask any questions and I will post RSVPs and any updates to this email string.   Weather looking great.   Ciao for now and holler back with questions!

Pam Wright

--
_RUSAWaiver Goatneck 200k.pdf
_RUSAWaiver Goatneck 400k.pdf

Dan Driscoll

Apr 17, 2021, 8:12:45 PM4/17/21
to Pam Wright Home, LSR Group
Pam…….Please,  sign me up…. I want to ride with U / U Guys ;=)

This is one of my favorite routes and the wild flowers will still be out with the rain we got yesterday ;=)

Can’t wait to roll with All Ya'll, DanD
<_RUSAWaiver Goatneck 200k.pdf><_RUSAWaiver Goatneck 400k.pdf><_RUSAWaiver Goatneck 600k.pdf><_RUSAWaiver Goatneck 300k.pdf>

StephenH

Apr 18, 2021, 1:55:52 PM4/18/21
to Lone * Star * Randonneurs
Pam, tentatively, I'm planning to ride the 200k on Saturday, then ride the Cleburne Clobber Perm on Sunday.  This perm is exactly the same as Day 2 of the 600k.

Some notes on the Day 2 route:
-You ride east into the sunrise, then ride west into the sunset.  So consider a visor on the helmet and a blinkie or two in the daytime.
-Stores are somewhat limited.  Maypearl grocery store, Avalon, Blooming Grove and the turn-around on the outbound, and Avalon and Maypearl only on the return.  In Maypearl, you can use the grocery store or go off-course to the convenience store or Dollar General.  The Avalon store used to be a store/cafe, appeared to be open yesterday, but I'm not sure if it's still a full store or just cafe or what.  Turn-around store is a fairly typical convenience store, but nothing special either, so no high hopes for cuisine.  Blooming Grove has a donut shop, Family Dollar, and convenience store, with the convenience store being slightly off-route.
-The only timed control on Day 2 is the turn-around, and that may be changed at some point.  But beware that this is not an especially fast course, so don't cut yourself too short on time.
-The route is mostly low-traffic county roads.  There are two very short sections with gravel on the road, otherwise all paved, but that's not the same as "smooth", either, so you just take it for what it is.  Five wooden bridges with grating, that you hit both ways, and all five were in fairly decent shape when we rode it.
-Coming back into Cleburne, you have a narrow but rideable shoulder for a bit, then the shoulder ends at Washington Street.  We had a parade behind us coming through that section on a Saturday afternoon, then no traffic to speak of going back out just few minutes later.  That is the only spot I'd expect any trafficky issues, though.
-Look at the map at Mile 38.3, intersection at 5 points.  You hit three intersections all right together, which makes it confusing to describe on cue sheet.  That's also one of the gravel areas.
-At Mile 23.56, it looks like the main road veers right, but you go straight.  And I think that's the other gravel area.

Thanks,
Stephen H

david west

Apr 19, 2021, 2:29:21 PM4/19/21
to Lone * Star * Randonneurs, Pam Wright
Pam,

I plan on attending.  I sent my waiver to Dan.  Thanks for all the info regarding where to meet and times.  I was wondering if the 200k cue sheet is the same route as the ridewithgps link is on the calendar from the site.

I look forward to meeting everyone.  New to randonneuring.  Not new to long distance cycling.

see yall Saturday.

Dave West

Pam Wright

Apr 19, 2021, 5:00:48 PM4/19/21
to Lone * Star * Randonneurs, david west
HI David,

Looking forward to meeting you!  Attached is the entire 200k file (waiver, cue and brevet card if desired) and yes the RWGPS is as correct as I can get it for now.

We're at the motel across the street, so Dan and I will try to get to the start a few minutes before 7 to say hello!  The first 5 miles go pretty quickly and easily (mostly downhill) so the group can usually stay together til we hit the main road about mile 9.  Then traffic and hills will start separating anyone wanting to go faster.

I know you and Dan have talked, but feel free to ask any questions and see you Saturday.

Pam

Pam Wright

Cleburne 200k april24.pdf

Pam Wright

Apr 19, 2021, 6:45:42 PM4/19/21
to Lone * Star * Randonneurs
Hi all, getting some RSVPs, and notes, so here's the latest.  Pre-ride announcements and documents attached for all rides, along with the original email.  Hope you'll let me know you're going to join us!

200k
Debbie B
Ravi B
David West * New Member!
Stephen H
Charlie F

600k
Dan D
Gary G
Dana P
Pam W

Sunday 200k Perm (Cleburne Clobber same as 600k Day 2)
Stephen H

Friday Night Dinner at Pastafina's:  Map
Planning a pre-ride dinner if anyone is interested.  Let me know if you might join.  RSVPs so far:
Dan D
Gary G
Dana P
Pam W

Pre-Ride Announcements
  • All Routes - Dogs Mile 18.3 - a new pack of dogs is across from the New Hope Baptist Church (our old Texas Time Trials home base).  They are younger and a couple just as determined as the old pack.  Please be aware for your outbound AND return!
  • 600k Cue Sheets - 2 versions are attached.  The horizontal pages start D2 at zero to sync with the RWGPS file and the vertical pages continue the mileage from D1.
  • 600k D2 - Stephen created this new route and shared the following:
[...]
      • Mile 38.3, intersection at 5 points (please look at map if not using GPS).  You hit three intersections all right together, which makes it confusing to describe on cue sheet.  That's also one of the gravel areas.
      • Mile 23.56, it looks like the main road veers right, but you go straight.  And I think that's the other gravel area.
      • 300k Options - On Sunday, RUSA approved a revision of our existing 308km Goatneck to a 300k, so if you're thinking 300, you can do either the new 300k (https://ridewithgps.com/routes/35706556) or 308k (https://ridewithgps.com/routes/4342211)  Identical route except instead of going all the way to I20 to the closed store, the turnaround is at mile 93.3 with an info control, so you can get back to services a bit sooner.
      I'll plan another update probably Thursday so I hope you'll come along!
      Pam

      Pam Wright

      • $5 RUSA Ride Fee - New from 2020 - All riders are required to pay a $5 insurance fee, per ride, IN ADVANCE OF RIDING.  This will go directly to RUSA, so please get with Dan (dandri...@me.com) and pay in advance into a "piggy bank" for yourself (you can pay in advance for multiple rides and save lots of hassle).  You are not allowed to pay after the ride.
[...]
      • WAIVERS:  Attached are files for the RUSA waiver.  Unless otherwise arranged, I will not have copies at the ride start.  Sign, date, scan, and email the waiver to Dan (dandri...@me.com) prior to the ride start, and please let me know you're riding as well.
      • CUE SHEETS:  Attached.  Also attached are brevet cards if you would like to print for your records.   Unless otherwise arranged, I will not have copies of either at the ride start.
      • PROOF OF PASSAGE:  Please plan to provide your GPS file, time-stamped selfies at each control and/or store receipts.  After you finish, please email your proof of passage and RUSA # to Dan. YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR SUBMITTING YOUR FINISH INFO TO DAN.
[...]

      Cleburne 300k april24.pdf
      Cleburne 400K april24.pdf
      Cleburne 600k april24.pdf

      Pam Wright

      Apr 22, 2021, 4:46:58 PM4/22/21
      to Lone * Star * Randonneurs
      Hi all, last update for the weekend, so here's the latest.  Pre-ride announcements and documents attached for all rides, along with the original email.  Hope you'll let me know you're going to join us!

      200k
      Debbie B
      Ravi B
      David West * New Member!
      Stephen H

      300k
      Stephen H
      FYI, Dan and I will be at the Super 8 Friday night, so don't be expecting us at the parking lot much before 7am.  Feel free to call or text with any questions.  See ya there!

      Pam Wright

      Cleburne 200k april24.pdf
      Cleburne 300k april24.pdf
      Cleburne 400K april24.pdf
      Cleburne 600k april24.pdf

      Pam Wright

      Mar 22, 2022, 3:42:55 PM3/22/22
      to Lone * Star * Randonneurs, bryan...@gmail.com
      Hi all,

      I'll keep stealing from Vickie!... The winds will blow, the dogs will chase and the chip seal will be all over the place :-)  What better way to spend your weekend than playing in the hills to & from Cleburne!  Plenty of options, so take your pick and come play.

      We have 3 Goatneck 600k versions and this latest revision by Stephen a year ago was huge.  All rides can stay together until shorter ones turn around and those wanting to just ride Sunday, can ride with 600k'ers on Stephen's new Day 2.   We'll probably also have a group eating dinner Friday night at Pasta Fina, so please RSVP for rides and food...Come on out!

      The details:
      • $5 RUSA Ride Fee - All riders are required to pay a $5 insurance fee, per ride, IN ADVANCE OF RIDING.  This will go directly to RUSA, so please get with Dan (dandri...@me.com) and pay in advance into a "piggy bank" for yourself (you can pay in advance for multiple rides and save lots of hassle).  You are not allowed to pay after the rideIf you pay by PayPal PLEASE be sure to send as "Friends and Family!"
        • Start Info:  Nolan River Mall, Cleburne, TX
          • Park:  Parking lot NW corner:  115 S. Nolan River Rd
          • Services:  Circle K (24hr) and Exxon (5a-10p) are at this intersection
          • Cue Sheet:  Please plan to print your own cue sheet.  I do not plan to bring any printed cues unless you let me know by Thursday that you need a printed version.
          • Start:  anytime by Noon on Sat 4/9.  Group start at 7am.
          • Night Gear:  Required for 300, 400 & 600k.  Sun is 7:05a - 7:56p (so almost 13hrs!)
        • Routes:  All routes are out&back, so they stay together until each one turns around, then and the 600k goes out for the new loop 2.  As of today, the biggest construction area is about mile 53.6 on all routes, but the roadway is clear.
          1. ACP 200k (13.5hr time limit):   #00003 - Cleburne - Goat Neck Perm - Out & Back to Bluff Dale

          1. RUSA 300k (20hr time limit):  Goat Neck 300 - Out & Back to Info Control.  This will be a revised, reduced route, so heads-up on the cue sheet and sign control.  If you go to the highway, you get bonus miles.  If you shortcut, you won't be official.  The new  turnaround is an info control at mile 93.3.  Still tweaking the cue sheet, so will send with any update
          1. ACP 400k (27hr time limit): 400k Cleburne Goatneck Godley Finish Out & Back to Palo PintoWith 600 k'ers.  Upon return to Nolan River, you will continue 12miles to Godley info control, then return.  One cool thing is you can stop at your vehicle (or hotel) to refuel or change clothing options.  FYI, I think the roughest part of the route is on this last loop on FM4.

          1. ACP 600k (40hr time limit):
                          5.    Sunday 236km Permanent  - Come ride Day 2 with the tired 600k'ers :)  Sign up for Perm #4047:  #4047 Cleburne Clobber
          • WAIVERS:  Attached are files for the RUSA waiver.  Unless otherwise arranged, I will not have copies at the ride start.  Sign, date, scan, and email the waiver to Dan (dandri...@me.com) and me by Thursday 4/7.
          • CUE SHEETS:  Attached.   Unless otherwise arranged, I will not have copies at the ride start.
          • PROOF OF PASSAGE:  Please plan to provide your GPS file, time-stamped selfies at each control and/or store receipts.  After you finish, please email your proof of passage and RUSA # to Dan. YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR SUBMITTING YOUR FINISH INFO TO DAN.
          • Hotels:  Several options and Dan has arranged a group rate of $70.00 + tax at the Super 8, but you need to call to get it.  To request this rate, use DRISCOLL as the code.  This has smoking rooms, so if that's important to you, make sure you request a non smoking room.  It's the closest motel to the start and there are 24-hr stores right there on the corner, plus a Sonic and all kinds of fast food within driving distance.  All have microwave/refrig in rooms.  Don't get your hopes us for breakfast at the cheap ones...plan your own :)
            1. Motel 6 Cleburne Hotel in Cleburne TX ($45+) | Motel6.com  right now, showing $55-61/night
            2. Holiday Inn Express:  right now, showing full
            3. Hampton Inn about .5miles east and showing about $150/night

[...]

            Please ask any questions and I will post RSVPs and any updates to this email string.  And thanks in advance if you see anything amiss...lemme know :)  Ciao for now and holler back with questions!

            Pam Wright
            .

            Cleburne 200k april24.pdf
            Cleburne 300k april24.pdf
            Cleburne 400K april24.pdf
            Cleburne 600k april24.pdf

            Pam Wright

            Mar 30, 2022, 4:33:47 PM3/30/22
            to Lone * Star * Randonneurs
            Hi all,
            Quick update for April 9 and all the info below and attached.  Not too early, or too late, to get your waivers in for any and all your ride "maybe's!"  Planning another update early next week, so lemme know which one(s) you're thinking about :-)

            Dinner Pasta Fina - Friday 6pm
            Dan
            Pam
            Brigitte
            Bryan

            200k
            Sue Shields - maybe
            Brigitte Reid
            Stephen Hazelton - maybe

            300k

            400k

            600k
            Mike Misner
            Dan Driscoll
            Pam Wright
            Joe Landry
            Bryan Reid
            Gary Gottlieb
            Dana Pacino

            Sunday 147mile/236k Perm

            Cleburne 200k april24.pdf
            Cleburne 300k april24.pdf
            Cleburne 400K april24.pdf
            Cleburne 600k april24.pdf

            Pam Wright

            Apr 5, 2022, 9:36:58 AM4/5/22
            to Lone * Star * Randonneurs
            Hi all,
            Quick update for April 9-10 and all the info is below and attached.  Not too early, or too late, to get your waivers in for any and all your ride "maybe's!"  Lemme know which one(s) you're thinking about and if there are changes I'll do another update in a couple days :-)

            Even if you're not riding, will you join us for dinner Friday night?!?!  Whoever you are, we've been missin' you!!

            Friday 6pm
            Dan
            Pam
            Brigitte
            Bryan
            Gary
            Dana
            Mike
            Debbie maybe
            And hopefully a surprise Celebrity guest!!!

            200k
            Brigitte Reid
            Stephen Hazelton
            Debbie Breaud
            Sharon Stevens
            Tibor Tamas - maybe

            300k

            400k

            600k
            Mike Misner
            Dan Driscoll
            Pam Wright
            Joe Landry
            Bryan Reid
            Gary Gottlieb
            Dana Pacino

            *New* Sunday 236k Brevet
            Newly approved "today" as a brevet, if you want a Rando Scout point, ride the Cleburne Clobber brevet instead of the perm!  They are the same route and will ride with  600k'ers day 2, so either sign up for the perm (#4047) or send Dan a signed waiver (attached), but let us know, so we can keep you posted on the start time.  I'm guessing 7am'ish.
            Debbie Breaud

[...]

              3. ACP 400k (27hr time limit): 400k Cleburne Goatneck Godley Finish Out & Back to Palo PintoWith 600 k'ers.  Upon return to Nolan River, you will continue 12miles to Godley info control, then return.  One cool thing is you can stop at your vehicle (or hotel) to refuel or change clothing options.  FYI, I think the roughest part of the route is on this last loop on FM4.

              4. ACP 600k (40hr time limit):
                            5.    Sunday 236km Permanent or Brevet - Come ride Day 2 with the tired 600k'ers :)  Sign up for Perm #4047:  #4047 Cleburne Clobber or sign and return the attached waiver to Dan and pay the $5 ride fee.
            • WAIVERS:  Attached are files for the RUSA waiver.  Unless otherwise arranged, I will not have copies at the ride start.  Sign, date, scan, and email the waiver to Dan (dandri...@me.com) and me by Thursday 4/7.
            • CUE SHEETS:  Attached.   Unless otherwise arranged, I will not have copies at the ride start.
            • PROOF OF PASSAGE:  Please plan to provide your GPS file, time-stamped selfies at each control and/or store receipts.  After you finish, please email your proof of passage and RUSA # to Dan. YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR SUBMITTING YOUR FINISH INFO TO DAN.
            Cleburne 200k april24.pdf
            Cleburne 300k april24.pdf
            Cleburne 400K april24.pdf
            Cleburne 600k april24.pdf
            Clobber 236k Waiver & Cue.pdf

            Pam Wright

            Apr 7, 2022, 12:44:23 PM4/7/22
            to Lone * Star * Randonneurs
            Even if you're not riding, will you join us for dinner Friday night?!?!  Whoever you are, we've been missin' you!!

            But wait...there's more! New riders and it's not too late.  Send in your signed waiver for 200, 300, 400, 600 or the 236k on Sunday...we'd love to see you!  Last update, so hope to see you tomorrow night or Saturday :-)

            Friday 6pm
            Dan
            Pam
            Brigitte
            Bryan
            Gary
            Dana
            Mike
            Debbie maybe
            Patrick :-)
            And hopefully a surprise Celebrity guest!!!

            200k
            Brigitte Reid
            Debbie Breaud
            Sharon Stevens
            Tibor Tamas
            Gary Gottlieb
            Dana Pacino

            300k

            400k

            600k
            Mike Misner
            Dan Driscoll
            Pam Wright
            Bryan Reid
            Patrick Chin-Hong

            *New* Sunday 236k Brevet
            Newly approved "today" as a brevet, if you want a Rando Scout point, ride the Cleburne Clobber brevet instead of the perm!  They are the same route and will ride with  600k'ers day 2, so either sign up for the perm (#4047) or send Dan a signed waiver (attached), but let us know, so we can keep you posted on the start time.  I'm guessing 7am'ish.
            Debbie Breaud
            Gary Gottlieb
            Dana Pacino

            Latest weather looks like wind & hills will be my biggest challenge...as usual :)  Full ride details below the weather.

            Inline image

            Inline image

            Cleburne 200k april24.pdf
            Cleburne 300k april24.pdf
            Cleburne 400K april24.pdf
            Cleburne 600k april24.pdf
            Clobber 236k Waiver & Cue.pdf

            Debbie Breaud

            Apr 7, 2022, 5:13:08 PM4/7/22
            to Pam Wright, Lone * Star * Randonneurs
            I’m likely just doing the 200k on Saturday. Too much going on with work and trying to figure out how to handle all of the things I’m trying to pull together for retirement, what I have to close out with LM, and on and on. It is unbelievable, all of the documentation and all of the contacts I have to make…,and I’m pretty rattled. And that’s an understatement. See you Saturday.
            Debbie

            Sent from my iPhone

            On Apr 7, 2022, at 11:50 AM, 'Pam Wright' via Lone * Star * Randonneurs <Talk...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

            Cleburne 600k april24.pdf