Gravel Tour of Italy Perm this Saturday

Peter Rajcani

Jun 13, 2024, 10:28:59 PMJun 13
to Lone * Star * Randonneurs
Hi LSRs,

I am planning on riding the Gravel Tour of Italy Perm route on Saturday. This is a gravel route that I created, and it is challenging and fun - 133 miles / 214 km with about 72% gravel (95 miles) with 3,664 ft of elevation gain. The route starts at the usual spot in Italy (Tiger Mart/Dennys). The route on very low traffic roads.

I plan to start at 8 am on Saturday, lights may be needed to finish (assuming 10 mph avg pace including stops)
Let me know if anyone is interested to join me

Peter

Peter Rajcani

Jun 16, 2024, 10:30:53 AM (13 days ago) Jun 16
to Lone * Star * Randonneurs
Hi LSRs,

I rode the 214k route yesterday and it was epic! I almost ran out of water at mi 90 since the store in Pursley at mi 88 was closed.  I stopped by a house in town and asked for water and nice people gave me 2 bottles which carried me through to the next store in Blooming Grove. That one was closed too (closes at 8 pm and I got there at 8:45) but there was a vending machine, so I got some cold coke for the last 20 miles.  I am planning to change the route to include a store in Wortham, about 10 mi past Tehuacana. I am also planning on bypassing a very rough rutted dirt road about 10 mi before Italy which got really bad after recent rains. Stay tuned for a route update, I plan to ride this route again in fall when it's less hot.

Take care,

Peter

StephenH

Jun 18, 2024, 9:18:20 PM (11 days ago) Jun 18
to Lone * Star * Randonneurs
In Blooming Grove, there is a fairly new Dollar General on the east side of town, and a Family Dollar on the west side of town, and Google maps shows both are open until 10:00.
There is also a donut place which is open early in the morning if your schedule happens to take you through then.

That store in Pursley is a backup store on our Audax ride later in the year.  Did it look like it was permanently out of business, or a one-time thing?
Google shows it being open 7 days, but I was thinking it had always been closed on Sundays.
We have a 600k route that passes through there on Day 2 (when it's closed anyway).
Also, I think we have a 112k route that goes to that store; we may need to remove it from use.
Last time I was in there, the stock of "store" stuff was pretty sparse, it looked like they were making more money from cafe operations, maybe.  But they did have ice and water.

We've used the store in Wortham a lot, it's on several different routes and it (like most Cefco stores) has always had a pretty good stock and long hours.
There is a pretty decent store in Coolidge, over on Hwy 171, used on a couple of our routes.
There is a store in downtown Frost, on Hwy 667.  I think it's closed on Sundays.  It's a small store, and I doubt it's open very late in the evenings.