Re: [TacG_WW2] Digest for TacG_WW2@googlegroups.com - 3 Messages in 2 Topics

Robert Lloyd

Jul 12, 2012, 4:18:04 PM7/12/12
to Digest Recipients
John

Thanks for circulating this.

I think this is a really good idea.

I am away from home at the moment. I will send a longer reply in a few days when I have some more time

Regards

Robert Lloyd

Sent: Thursday, July 12, 2012 8:01 AM
Subject: [TacG_WW2] Digest for TacG...@googlegroups.com - 3 Messages in 2 Topics

Group: http://groups.google.com/group/TacG_WW2/topics

    H Ramsay <h.ra...@sky.com> Jul 11 06:14PM +0100

    John

    Its grand to hear from you -really have missed CC @ Expo- your suggestions
    sound good and I would be happy to support such a venture- just keep me
    informed of progess

    best wishes

    paul laverack

    John McLintock <jmc...@gmail.com> Jul 11 07:50PM +0100

    Paul,
    hello again. Thanks for your reply. I am pleased that you're happy to
    see these developments go ahead and look forward to seeing you again in
    Birmingham next year.

    The rest of you?
    Consider this my first 'pester'! Please give me your feedback on my
    suggestions as soon as you can. If we have a consensus in favour of
    them, I'll go ahead with them as promptly as I can manage, then put
    together a proposal for what we might actually ask of and offer the Expo
    in 2013. To reiterate: the sooner we can agree what we want to go ahead
    with, the sooner I can get onto the Expo organisers, and the bigger the
    chance that we won't be stuck in a pokey wee corner next year. My best
    wishes to you and yours, one and all.
    cheers,
    John
    On 11/07/2012 18:14, H Ramsay wrote:

    John McLintock <jmc...@gmail.com> Jul 11 11:20AM +0100

    Dear all,
    hello again. I promised to enlarge upon my ideas in my last email, so
    here I am. I'm going to begin with the idea of 'activating' the WW2
    Tactical Guild, because my ideas about growing our tournament hinge on that.

    Those who were at the first CC@UK Expo tournament will remember that
    this list started as a simple way to keep in touch for the sake of
    future CC@UK Expo events. Once that was going, I took the initiative to
    rename the group and to expand its mission statement. I left matters
    there at the time; then later developing things further wasn't a real
    option while I was too unwell to organise further CC@UK Expo events.
    What I always had in mind with the 'rebranding' was the idea that we
    could organise an umbrella group which would provide a collective
    identity any of us could use if we were to try to organise activities at
    events other than the UK Expo.

    So the first question I have to ask you all is: do you like the idea?
    This may have been a pet scheme of mine for a few years now, but it's a
    complete non-starter if the idea finds no favour among the rest of you.
    Anyway, there's not a lot more I can say about that just now, so I'll
    move on to what I think putting this into action will entail.

    Here is my proposal:
    1. We formally associate ourselves; ie. adopt a simple constitution and
    membership structure.
    2. We consider dues or some other kind of subscription to raise and
    maintain some small funds.

    Why do I think that this is a good idea?

    1. It strikes me that a properly constituted association is far more
    likely than a lone individual to be granted a decent space for a decent
    amount of time at UK Expo: we're making ourselves look better in other
    words. I think we'll need to do something like this if we want to build
    our tournament and really put it on the international CC tournament map
    (and where better to do that for the UK CC scene than at the UK's
    premiere games convention?). I also think that, should we see success in
    growing the event, and therefore this list, we'd inevitably reach the
    point where a bit of structure would be needed anyway. So I reckon that
    it would be better to put this in place BEFORE it's absolutely necessary.

    2. I don't know about the rest of you, but I've long thought that it'd
    be cool if we could have proper trophies and/or prizes for our CC
    tournament. We did manage to get a prize from the Expo organisers for at
    least one of our tournaments, but I think it'd be good if we could
    provide our own. In an ideal world we'd have a proper trophy which would
    pass from winner to winner in the traditional fashion, but I suspect the
    logisitics of that would (eg. engraving) be just a bit too much. Still,
    we might be able to consider going for a small trophy that winners could
    keep. Note too that a properly associated group should be more likely to
    attract prize support from sponsors, eg. GMT. Also, if we're going to go
    for the big event I've already talked about, then we'll need flyers to
    hand out. These will cost money.

    That's really about it for my thinking about how to develop the group
    for the sake of building it in the future. As I said: this can only go
    ahead if we have a consensus on the matter, so please, Please, PLEASE
    reply with your opinions on these ideas, ASAP! The sooner I know what
    shape we'll have for CC@UK Expo'13, the sooner I can contact the
    organisers to start finding out what they can offer us. And the sooner I
    open those communications, the sooner you can all be sure that we'll
    have a tournament in 2013.

    My best wishes to you and yours, one and all.
    cheers,
    John

Jul 13, 2012, 6:05:31 AM7/13/12
to tacg...@googlegroups.com
Robert,
hello again. Good to hear from you, and good to know you're onside with my idea. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts in more detail.

The rest of you? You know the drill, yada, Yada, YADA, etc. My best wishes to you and yours, one and all.
cheers,
John