Constantiaberg (Mast trail) - Cyclists robbed. Trail Runner tied up and robbed (01/03/2014)

1 view

Andre (Table Mountain Watch)

Mar 10, 2014, 5:54:41 AM3/10/14
to TableMoun...@googlegroups.com

Good Day

We did send out some of this information via Twitter last week but for the record here is some helpful additional information from "the HUBsa.co.za" forum:

CONSTANTIABERG / TOKAI / BLUE VALLEY/ VLAKKENBERG

thehubsa.co.za:   ....This is what happened (and where) in Tokai on Sunday:

"Just to let you know .....&......(names known ) were robbed while cycling up to the mast on Saturday [01/03/2014] around 15h00 around the point where the Hoerikwaggo Trail crosses the tar road. A trail runner had been robbed shortly before that and tied up (he got free and appeared out of the bush as they were walking down – they had taken his shoes). Three young black guys armed with knives.

Both ok in the circumstances (I think). One lady's
finger was graunched as they tried to pull her rings off. Didn’t take the bikes on which they slashed the tyres. It seems they then headed off down the mountain back towards Hout Bay.

..... tells me the parks & police response was quick and supportive in the circumstances after a rider went on down to raise the alarm. Case has been opened at Hout Bay SAPS."

The incident didn't happen at the Arboretum as reported on Twitter.
Response was good , but we now know that the saddle on the way to the Mast is another potential crime hotspot.It's a remote location and can only be monitored by San Parks rangers on the ground.
Perps are walking up from Hout Bay, smelling easy prey.

I am posting this because the person who knows the victims has asked me to- raising awareness.

I feel this is something San Parks should have done right after the incident. But, unfortunately they prefer to keep things like this to themselves, unless pressed for info.

For Rapid Response as well:    Contact Hout Bay Neighbourhood Watch - Control Centre  (WATCHCON):

   ".............That's right near my house, if they went down Blue Valley Road/Bokkemanskloof.

If possible Watchcon in Hout Bay should be notified ASAP when these things happen. There are many people on radios, also would have alerted the Bokkemanskloof guards.

For future reference, if something happens in or near Hout Bay contact Watchcon at  021 790 9333

It can be argued that the epicentre of some of the Karbonkelberg, Sandy Bay, Vlakkenberg (not the first attack on this range), East Fort area muggings is the IY Informal Settlement in Hout Bay.
Hout Bay SAPS managed to arrest a suspect with the goods after the March 5 attack - so perhaps they will have put a stop to the recent spate in Sandy Bay and perhaps (if its the same lot) the Vlakkenberg threat as well. There have been quite a few successful arrests over the past year or more by HB SAPS in this regard.   Using the number above - for Watchcon - could result in a faster response and wider cordon being created as the suspects walk down off the montain. Hopefully...

Either way, keep your eyes open and be careful out there.

Cheers
@TableMntnWatch

ARREST AFTER SANDY BAY MUGGING:

On Wednesday, 5th of March 2014 at approx. 18:40 a couple from Germany were threatened by an unknown male, armed with a knife and robbed them of their belongings near Rocket Road, Sandy Bay Hout Bay. SANPARK members chased the suspect, but he got away by disappearing into the bushes.

SAPS was alerted and brought two suspects in for questioning, but they could not be linked with the case.  SAPS then followed up more information that led to the searching of a house in Imizamo Yethu.

During the search a camera and 2 cellular phones belonging to the complainant were recovered.  More items including cellular phones, cash, bank cards and clothing were also confiscated and handed in.

One suspect was arrested and detectives reported that the suspect could be linked with other robbery cases

The 23 year old suspect will appear in the Wynberg Magistrate court on Monday 10th of March 2014 on charges of Possession of suspected stolen goods.

WO Tanya Lesch
Hout Bay SAPS
Corporate Communication
Tel 021 791 8660

Scott Fraser

Mar 10, 2014, 6:33:26 AM3/10/14
to Andre (Table Mountain Watch), TableMoun...@googlegroups.com
Hi Andre

Firstly, thanks for your work in running this group.

Reading the below, it struck me that riding in that section of TMNP is only allowed if it is paid for (either by a yearly fee, or by a fee per rider per day).  Surely this would mean that there would be some claim against TMNP for not ensuring the safety of a paying visitor?

Best Regards
Scott