Redhill break-ins

Table Mountain Watch

Mar 17, 2014, 2:46:13 AM3/17/14
to TableMoun...@googlegroups.com
Word of warning to those visiting the Redhill area.  Two cars from our group yesterday were broken into at the parking lot (the parking lot just off the road i.e. the turn off to the navy base) for the main area yesterday, and according to the police a third car was also broken into.
Luckily not much was stolen as there was not much in the car (ours at least, but I do not know about the other car....), but the hassle, admin, and costs involved with a break in are always frustrating!

Anyway, I think it would either be best to park next to the house there (we were told to by the owner as he was leaving, and tried to..but, a very very vicious staffie prevented us from doing so by attacking the tyres of our car).  It seems as though there is a group of people simply just breaking into cars there, no matter if there is anything valuable in the car or not. Either opportunism, or simply malicious vandalism!

The other options for accessing these areas if you do not feel like dealing with a vicious dog is to park at the Coppermine parking and take a little longer of a walk.  BUT, if you do this please do not compromise the sensitive access of the area by trying to take a short cut through the wetland area. There is a perfectly good and well marked path to follow, and if you use your noggin you should find your way easily.

Source:  Climb ZA

Monty Reynolds

Mar 17, 2014, 3:57:57 AM3/17/14
to Table Mountain Watch, TableMoun...@googlegroups.com
Took a quick stroll up Kloof corner just after 8am yesterday. Had a spot of breakfast up there and returned about an hour later. 2 gym bags and handbag removed from boot. NO SIGN OF FORCED ENTRY! My wallet was still in the front compartment. 'Phoned T.M. emergency and am still waiting for Ranger!
I purposely parked on Tafelberg Road, rather than the parking area below, as the amount of broken glass is clear evidence that the area is a hot spot.
It's puzzling that the authorities don't have the will to solve the problem. Surely, with the amount of unemployment in our city there must be thousands of peolple only too willing to get a job as a security guard for the city......................'the city works for you'?