SANParks ranger stabbed at Karbonkelberg

Table Mountain Watch

Oct 11, 2013, 7:37:33 AM10/11/13
to TableMoun...@googlegroups.com

AN SA National Parks ranger is recovering in hospital after he had been stabbed several times by a man while on patrol on Karbonkelberg in Hout Bay yesterday, parks spokeswoman Merle Collins said.

Allister Sylvester and his colleague Una Cloete were on a routine patrol when the attack happened at 2pm, Collins said last night. “They came upon an individual who seemed to be engaged in poaching activity. They took his photograph and while they were trying to secure (handcuff) him, he stabbed the ranger,” she said.

She said the attacker ran off.

“Allister was stabbed seven times in his upper body. Una is fine, but she was traumatised,” Collins said.

Police spokesman FC van Wyk said the suspect had not yet been caught. “We can confirm the incident. An attempted murder docket has been opened,” he said.

Cloete said she and Sylvester had been deployed to the area and approached a man they saw close to a beacon.

“When we got to him we saw he had a plastic bag. In it were black mussels. We explained to him it was a restricted area and he was not supposed to take mussels out. He seemed fine. Allister took his details while I took the bag to throw the mussels into the water. I heard Allister radioing in the man’s details. Then I heard Allister shouting on the radio that the guy is running away,” she said.

Sylvester had pursued the suspect and then she heard him scream on the radio he had been stabbed. The suspect wore a grey top and black jacket.

“I spoke to Allister and he said he was fine,” she said.

EMS spokesman Robert Daniels said he was airlifted to Constantiaberg Medi Clinic in a serious but stable condition.

Anyone with information can call Crime Stop on 0860010111 or SMS Crime Line 32211.

Source:  SANParks ranger stabbed on mountain