DEM format and conversion

David Bekaert

Apr 20, 2015, 10:47:42 AM4/20/15
to suresh krishnan, TRAIN_...@googlegroups.com

Dear Suresh Krishnan,

Thank you for your question.

Best is to post your question directly to https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!forum/TRAIN_support, as it allows me to generate of an archive of Q & A.

You will need to subscribe as member first.

The “.dem” is not an actual format but rather an extension.

You can have a filename without “.dem”, which you set using setparm_aps, e.g. setparm_aps(‘demfile’,’~/mydem.bil’) in case your dem filename is  ~/mydem.bil

However, you need to make sure there is a corresponding “.rsc” file,  which contains the information about your dem, e.g. a file  ~/mydem.bil.rsc

Within this file you will need to specify the width, length, upper left lonlat corner, the grid interval, and optional the format.

Often you will need to make this input “.rsc” file manually.

The manual has a bit more information on the inputs.

I normally use the DEM constructed using the StaMPS/ DORIS construct_dem.sh script.

For a DEM generated in another way or not in the roipac, doris, or stamps processing  it will be a bit more tricky, and it can be a bit of trial and error till it displays correctly.

The format can vary from integer, float, to real 4, which can be specified in the .rsc file.

Not sure what your current dem format is, or if there is header information.

Let me know if I can help further.

Cheers,

David

Sep 29, 2016, 9:26:55 AM9/29/16
to TRAIN - Toolbox for Reducing Atmospheric InSAR Noise, sureshk...@gmail.com, eed...@leeds.ac.uk
Dear Dr David,

    I would like to greatly appreciate your work on TRAIN

    I am now using Gamma software to process InSAR data, so I have to convert the results obtained by Gamma to the format required by TRAIN. But I have a query on the format of final_*.dem, as I can not convert to this format correctly.  The result when I running aps_era(1,1) is showed in figure 2,  I think this problem lies in the process of reading final_*.dem file, but I am not sure. What's more, I wonder  whether there are some Toolboxes that can convert the results obtained by Gamma to the format required by TRAIN.

   Best regards

   Shuai Wang
figure 1.jpg
figure 2.jpg

David Bekaert

Sep 29, 2016, 10:25:43 AM9/29/16
to TRAIN_...@googlegroups.com, sureshk...@gmail.com, David Bekaert
hi,

Regarding the DEM files.
In the latest version of TRAIN (2beta) I incorporated a .grd  support.
I suggest to use that as does not require to set up the .rsc file and is therefore easier.

At the moment there is not yet such a gamma2train script, however I welcome any contributions and will include them in the next release.

D.

reyhanaz...@mail.ugm.ac.id

Feb 19, 2019, 9:23:04 AM2/19/19
to TRAIN - Toolbox for Reducing Atmospheric InSAR Noise
Dear David,
I had trouble deciding dem format. I tried a variety of ways such as converting from .tiff to .grd format and download from gmt sar but failed. Is there anyway I can do to change or obtain dem data in the rigth format ? I need your guidance.
Thankyou
Reyhan

On 29 September 2016 at 06:26, Shuai Wang <wang0814...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear Dr David,

    I would like to greatly appreciate your work on TRAIN

    I am now using Gamma software to process InSAR data, so I have to convert the results obtained by Gamma to the format required by TRAIN. But I have a query on the format of final_*.dem, as I can not convert to this format correctly.  The result when I running aps_era(1,1) is showed in figure 2,  I think this problem lies in the process of reading final_*.dem file, but I am not sure. What's more, I wonder  whether there are some Toolboxes that can convert the results obtained by Gamma to the format required by TRAIN.

   Best regards

   Shuai Wang

David Bekaert

Feb 19, 2019, 10:55:42 AM2/19/19
to TRAIN_...@googlegroups.com
you could leverage the gmtsar online DEM generation tool.
you could also try and use gdal to convert from tiff to grd.

D.