Take Our Word For It Issue 205 (YES!)

1 view

Melanie and Mike

Sep 1, 2006, 12:27:33 AM9/1/06
to Take Our Word for It
Take Our Word For It Issue 205
http://www.takeourword.com

For Mac users who have trouble with our regular homepage:
http://www.takeourword.com/indexmac.html

**Greetings**

No, you're not dreaming. We're here!

**This Week's Issue**

NOTE: The links in this newsletter are good until the next issue is
published.

In Spotlight we give you The Low-Down on High Tea
http://www.takeourword.com/current/page1.html

In Words to the Wise we bring you the following words:

hussy
http://www.takeourword.com/current/page2.html#hussy

cougar/puma/mountain lion
http://www.takeourword.com/current/page2.html#puma

daftar
http://www.takeourword.com/current/page2.html#daftar

fixin' to
http://www.takeourword.com/current/page2.html#fix

In Curmudgeons' Corner Guestmudgeon John Archdeacon holds nothing back
http://www.takeourword.com/current/page3.html

In Sez You... we devote the column to letters about the pronunciation
of the word "pecan"
http://www.takeourword.com/current/page4.html

In Laughing Stock we bring you gassy children
http://www.takeourword.com/current/page5.html

**Book Review**

Next issue we will have a review of "The Meaning of Tingo" for you.

**Laughing Stock**

Please send us material for Laughing Stock. This week's winner, Ryan
McCarthy, will receive a $10 gift certificate to Amazon.com. Thanks,
Ryan!

**Curmudgeons' Corner**

We have a guestmudgeon this week, John Archdeacon (a long-time reader
of TOWFI and a previous Guestmudgeon), ranting about his language pet
peeves.

**Blog**

See our blog (http://www.takeourword.com/blog1) for a discussion of why
we've been absent and how you can help us reduce or even eradicate
future absences (http://takeourword.com/blog1/?p=65).

**T-shirt Store**

It's still there!

**Book Store**

We have added the review of Michael Sheehan's book, from the last issue
of this newsletter, to the book store.

NEW: if you have an etymological or language-related book to recommend
to us and other readers, let us know about it! We try to stay on top
of the latest books on those topics, but we aren't omniscient (darn
it!) and we're a bit behind at the moment.

**Other New Stuff**

You may notice that we've added more Google Adsense ad blocks to our
pages. We were making about $100/year from the ads on the home page.
We hope to increase that, but we aren't expecting a windfall. If you
see an ad that interests you, click on it!

Until next time,
Take Our Word For It!
Melanie and Mike

http://www.takeourword.com