Issue 210 is finally here!

Melanie and Mike

Apr 17, 2010, 6:45:33 PM4/17/10
to Take Our Word for It
Take Our Word For It Issue 210
http://www.takeourword.com

For Mac users who have trouble with our regular homepage:
http://www.takeourword.com/indexmac.html

**Greetings**

We're back! No, we haven't achieved monthly publishing status yet, but
we're on our way there.

**This Week's Issue**

NOTE: The links in this newsletter are good until the next issue is
published.

In Spotlight it's elementary, our dear readers, as we look into some
more element names
http://www.takeourword.com/current/page1.html

In Words to the Wise we bring you the following words:

fruit and fruition
http://www.takeourword.com/current/page2.html#fruit

Ockham's Razor
http://www.takeourword.com/current/page2.html#razor

cut to the chase
http://www.takeourword.com/current/page2.html#cutchase

hone and home in
http://www.takeourword.com/current/page2.html#hone

livery and delivery
http://www.takeourword.com/current/page2.html#livery

In Curmudgeons' Corner Guestmudgeon Fred speaks of the afterlife
http://www.takeourword.com/current/page3.html

In Sez You... we hear from readers about the previous issue of TOWFI
http://www.takeourword.com/current/page4.html

In Laughing Stock someone's offering a ridiculously good deal
http://www.takeourword.com/current/page5.html

Click on the images within each section of TOWFI this week to visit
interesting related web sites.

**Laughing Stock**

Please send us material for Laughing Stock. This week's winner is
Danielle. Congratulations, Danielle, and thanks for your submission!
We'll get your gift certificate to you very soon (but don't hesitate
to remind us).

**Blog**

Don't forget to read our blog (http://www.takeourword.com/blog1) for
etymological and other language-related discussions that you won't
find here or in TOWFI. And you can participate in the blog
discussions! (We will post a new entry there soon, but you can read
previous entries now.)

**Newsletter-Only Etymology**

It's back!

From Jackie:

What's the etymology of salami?

This is a fairly simple one. Etymologically it means “salt” or
something that's salted. Salami is made with a great deal of salt.
According to the OED the word first turns up in the English written
record in 1852. We checked this, and all earlier occurrences appear to
be references to the Greek island of Salamis* or people with the
surname Salami. The surname could refer to a family from the island
of Salamis, or it could also refer to a family that had an ancestor
who made salami (in Italy). Interestingly, salami is the plural in
Italian, and salame is the singular. However, in English we rarely see
the form salame.

Wikipedia suggests that the Island of Salamis got its name from
Phoenician salam “peace”.

Until next time,
Take Our Word For It!
Melanie and Mike