FW: Urgent: State aims to control local transit projects

Carey Rogers

Apr 15, 2014, 3:50:37 PM4/15/14
to Carey Rogers

From: Meehan, Leslie (MPO) [mailto:Leslie...@nashville.gov]
Sent: Tuesday, April 15, 2014 1:06 PM

Subject: Urgent: State aims to control local transit projects

Good Afternoon Transit, Walk and Bicycle Supporters –

Please forward the following to your networks today.

The Nashville MPO staff just learned that Senate Bill 2243 and House Bill 2156 will likely go to a conference committee and all indications are that an amendment will be introduced that will require state legislative approval for any Bus Rapid Transit project using a dedicated lane on any state highway or state right-of-way,  anywhere in Tennessee.  With the General Assembly wanting to adjourn soon, this is likely to move pretty quickly.  We need all of you to act now by communicating with your house and senate members to let them know that this is an interference with local decision making process.  I’ve attached a letter from our region that was sent to the transportation committees a few weeks ago for your reference, but keep in mind that this was drafted for an earlier version of the bills.  Phone calls and emails voicing your opposition are critical now.

Please take a brief moment to contact your state representatives:

“We urge you to vote against any legislation that will require the Tennessee General Assembly to approve Bus Rapid Transit projects using dedicated lanes on state highways.  We urge you to allow the members of Tennessee’s Metropolitan Planning Organizations, which represent local governments, transit agencies and the Tennessee Department of Transportation, to work together to determine the most appropriate transportation projects and alignments to fit the needs of the metropolitan areas of our state.”

http://www.capitol.tn.gov/legislators/

Please let me or Michael Skipper know if you have any questions. Michael can be reached by text or cell at 615-925-2838 or by email at ski...@nashvillempo.org.

-Leslie

Leslie A. Meehan, AICP | Director of Healthy Communities

Nashville Area Metropolitan Planning Organization

800 2nd Ave South | PO Box 196300 | Nashville, TN 37219

v 615-862-7211 f 615-880-2450

Email | mee...@nashvillempo.org

Web | www.nashvillempo.org

middleTNmayors_HB2156_March2014.pdf