TABLE MOUNTAIN TRAILERS TMT Saturday 14th August 2021

Gaeleen and Julian Tompkins

Aug 9, 2021, 3:37:53 AM8/9/21
to Table Mountain Trailers

Good Morning Trailers!

This week  Saturday 14th August TMT will be returning to Silvermine (Gate 1) – the dam side

Our route:  Steenberg ridge, Blackburn lookout, Panoramic route/Crassula path, River walk

Please remember to adhere to the COVID rules below:

·         No gathering in a big group at start or end of the run.

·         All runners to carry a mask or buff.

·         Practice social/physical distancing.

·         We will break into small groups as per regulations while we run.

·         Please carry emergency contact numbers in your bag or on your wrist/shoe.

·         We will monitor the groups on a weekly basis for size.

·         VOB reserves the right to stop TMT if the COVID infections increase again in the Western Cape.

·         If you have any symptoms or have been in contact with anyone with symptoms, please stay at home.

Rendezvous and start time

First entrance to Silvermine on the right coming from Tokai. Gates to the reserve open at 7.45 - 8:00am but the queues can be long so get there early and parking is limited, so please consider sharing lifts.  We'll meet at 8:15am at the ‘cyclist’ parking, which is up the road and to the right after the gate.  We will start running as soon as possible thereafter.

Please note there is an entrance fee of R35 for SA Citizens (think it’s cash only and remember to bring your ID), unless you have Wild Card or Green Card

Route
We start off with some single tracks taking us onto Steenberg ridge.  Thereafter we make our way to the fire lookout, and potentially an out and back to Elephant’s eye cave..  We then make our way to the Blackburn Ravine lookout, and here the group splits.  You can either do the Panoramic route or go back down to the gravel road and do the Crassula path.  After this we take a nice single track back to the cars for the shorter route, or for the longer route, down to the Old Wagon Road and finish off with the River Walk and back to the cars.  I will post a map/route on Friday’s email

Terrain and Distance.   Some undulating bush trails and gravel tracks, as well as some nice single tracks.

Distance will be approx. 10 km for the shorter route and 15 km for the longer route.  I am guessing in the region of 2hrs 30 mins

Our runs are pack runs and will may split into 2 or 3 pace groups on the day.  I will manage a relaxed group and do the Crassula path

What to bring

Water, whistle, warm/windproof top, rain jacket - weather dependent, space blanket, ICE ID - either on your phone, bracelet/tag, card in your backpack.

Please make sure that you are carrying the right equipment, enough food and water.

ImportantPlease remember to look behind you at every turn in the route to make sure the people behind you see which way you are going.  Please keep together and ensure that no-one is left on their own.

PS  Sorry no dogs allowed on VOB runs

Have a great week

 Gae (083 55 696 79)

image001.png

Gaeleen and Julian Tompkins

Aug 13, 2021, 4:03:42 AM8/13/21
to Table Mountain Trailers

Morning trailers

Tomorrow’s run is ON  Temperature 11-13 degrees with a fresh south easterly breeze – please come prepared.

See attached map for our planned route, and email below for more details

All groups tomorrow, including a walking group

Green star – meeting point – drive up the road to the cyclists parking on the right hand side

Black route – longer distance – approx. 15 km

Red route – shorter distance – approx. 10 km

Walkers – will do a shorter version of approx. 7 km

image001.png
Silvermine August.jpg

Gaeleen and Julian Tompkins

May 22, 2023, 4:24:14 AM5/22/23
to Table Mountain Trailers

Good Morning Trailers!

This week  Saturday 27th May will be returning to Silvermine (Gate 1) – the dam side, with a later start.

Our route:  Steenberg ridge,  Crassula path, River walk

Rendezvous and start time

First entrance to Silvermine on the right coming from Tokai. Gates to the reserve open at 7.45 - 8:00am but the queues can be long so get there early and parking is limited, so please consider sharing lifts.  We'll meet at 8:15am at the ‘cyclist’ parking, which is up the road and to the right after the gate, so NOT the parking at the gate.  We will start running as soon as possible thereafter.

Please note there is an entrance fee of R38 for SA Citizens (think it’s cash only and remember to bring your ID), unless you have Wild Card or Green Card

Route
See attached photo – I have mapped out the potential route, but there may be changes on the day.

We start off with some gravel and single tracks taking us onto Steenberg ridge.  Thereafter we make our way to the fire lookout, and potentially an out and back to Elephant’s eye cave..  We then make our way to the gravel road and then onto the Crassula path – there is an option to first do Blackburn ravine lookout and back if more distance is required.   Once we reach the gravel road after the Crassula path,  we take a nice single track back down to the Old Wagon Road.  We then run up the road until we find the start of the River trail.  We take this route until we intersect a gravel road, where we turn right at head back to our cars

Terrain and Distance.   Some undulating bush trails and gravel tracks, as well as some nice single tracks.

Distance will be approx. 12 km for the planned route, plus extra if required.    I am guessing in the region of 2hrs 30 mins

Our runs are pack runs and will may split into 2 or 3 pace groups on the day.  Weather permitting, there will be a walking group.

What to bring

Water, whistle, warm/windproof top, rain jacket - weather dependent, space blanket, ICE ID - either on your phone, bracelet/tag, card in your backpack.

Please make sure that you are carrying the right equipment, enough food and water.

ImportantPlease remember to look behind you at every turn in the route to make sure the people behind you see which way you are going.  Please keep together and ensure that no-one is left on their own.

PS  Sorry no dogs allowed on VOB runs

Have a great week

 Gae (083 55 696 79)

image001.png
Silvermine route.JPG

Gaeleen and Julian Tompkins

May 26, 2023, 2:20:03 AM5/26/23
to Table Mountain Trailers

Hi Trailers

Tomorrow’s run is ON – clear skies, slight breeze, please come prepared

Unfortunately the walking group has cancelled.