ACTION ALERT: Contact your OR legislators TODAY to support key climate legislation

SCG Sustainable Cottage Grove

Feb 25, 2022, 1:17:56 PM2/25/22
to SCG Sustainable Cottage Grove
Friends,

The 2022 short session of the Oregon legislature is underway and there are important bills related to climate and climate justice under consideration that NEED YOUR SUPPORT.

Below is a summary of bills and how you can help.

Please contact your local representatives in the OR House and Senate to urge passage of these bills, and where noted, adopt specific amendments to improve the bills.

Also — and very important — please spread the word to your networks as well.

Attached to this email are some sample letters and also a one pager on the Reach building code legislation.

Our Cottage Grove area representatives are:

State senator:

Senator Floyd Prozanski (D)
Email: Sen.Floyd...@OregonLegislature.gov
Phone: 503-986-1704

State representative:

Representative Cedric Hayden (R)
Phone: 503-986-1704

  • SB-1518. (REACH bill) Improves building codes to reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions. We learned after that legislative leadership has adopted our view that this bill to authorize cities to adopt more protective building codes does not go far enough. They are now working to amend the bill to establish a legislative task force to develop a comprehensive overhaul of building codes and regulatory programs to reduce GHG emissions from buildings, reduce damage from wildfires, and ensure protection from fire smoke. The task force will develop a comprehensive package for the 2023 session. Your message should focus on the need for stronger policies aimed at reducing GHG emissions from buildings, which should not be delegated to cities or counties. Go here for more info.

  • Emergency Heat Relief for Communities, HB-4058, and Renters, SB-1538, Renters. Provides assistance for owners and tenants to replace natural gas heat with electric heat pumps for protection from heat waves and reduction of greenhouse gas emissions.

-

  • HB-4077, Environmental Justice Council Mapping. Identifies neighborhoods most at risk from exposure to environmental contaminants so that policies can be aimed at protecting those communities.

§  Bill overview: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1sJyexuiOPH3odZVYdUQoxXF90_m51KvT91i7yxqHVMg/edit

§  Contact: man...@uniteoregon.org

  • HB-4141, Replacement of Fossil Diesel. Requires fossil diesel to be replaced by 2029 with renewable diesel derived from biomass. We like the concept, but only if amended to prohibit the use of food crops (soy, corn, flax, canola, and sesame) to produce motor fuels. To read ECA’s testimony, go here

  • HB-4115, Treasury Transparency. Requires the state treasurer to disclose investments in fossil fuels and other industries at financial risk from decisions intended to eliminate fossil fuel use.

§  Testimony Talking Points for HB 4115 Treasury Transparency Bill: https://docs.google.com/document/d/14Lmp9S8OVUaDJJAG-AYRFrKbvWa8AlH_iYDlmSZrRuw/edit

§  One-pager and current HB 4115 bill language: https://www.divestoregon.org/treasury-transparency-bill/

HB 4115 email or phone text.pdf
HB 4141 email or phone text.pdf