SCG’s March “First Friday” potluck dinner (Friday); PIELC panels Saturday and Sunday

SCG Sustainable Cottage Grove

Mar 2, 2016, 1:24:36 PM3/2/16
to SCG Sustainable Cottage Grove
In this issue:
  • Sustainable Cottage Grove’s “First Friday” potluck - this Friday night @ 6:30pm, Healing Matrix
  • Public Interest Environmental Law Conference (PIELC)  — Fri, Sat, Sun, with panels on Community Rights, Aerial Spraying, and more: 3/4, 3/4, 3/6

* * * *

March "First Friday" Potluck
building community, one great meal at a time

This Friday night, March 4th, 6:30pm
Healing Matrix, 632 E. Main St.

Don't miss out on our great potluck get together

As we do every month, Sustainable Cottage Grove hosts a monthly potluck so that we can all get together and socialize over a great meal.

Please join us TOMORROW NIGHT for our March potluck dinner

Bring a friend, a healthy dish to share, dinnerware, and plenty of conversation. We always have a great time, so be sure to join us. Everyone is welcome to attend

Feel free to tell a friend and invite them to join us as well.

Please contact Rob Dickinson (541-543-5735 / ro...@pobox.com) if you have any questions.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Some of the folks that attend out potlucks (and some who don't, but would like to attend) have let us know that it can be challenging for those who have food allergies or dietary restrictions because the dishes aren't well labeled.  It's not a requirement, but it would be a big help if you label your dish in any ways that would be informative to others, including labels like "vegetarian", "vegan", "gluten free", "dairy free", or "has meat", or "has nuts", or "made with wheat", etc.  Whatever you think might be useful to other guests.

* * * *

Join Oregon Community Rights Network (and local CR groups) at the 2016 Public Interest Environmental Law Conference (PIELC)

Following Nature’s Lead for Civil Disobedience: Building a New Direct Action Movement Community by Community

(LAW 142) 2:20 - 3:35
Saturday March 5th (panel 8)

As nature goes on the offense with ever increasing catastrophic climatic events, our activism stays stuck in the 1970s. Our organizing has refused to confront a structure of law that protects environmentally destructive corporate behavior.This panel is about the growing Community Rights movement and how communities are “occupying the law” to dismantle the corporate state, legalize sustainability and secure nature’s rights, and the convergence of community rights with direct action aimed at physically stopping harmful corporate projects.

Panelists:

Kai Huschke, Organizer, Community Environmental Legal Defense Fund
Rob Dickinson, Organizer, Oregonians for Community Rights
Mary Grace Hickok, Organizer, Cascadia Forest Defenders

Banning Aerial Herbicide Spraying: Time to End this Unjust and Toxic Assault on Our Communities and Environment

(LAW 242) 10:35am - 11:50am
Sunday March 6th (panel 11)

Over forty years, Oregonians have fought back against unjust corporate aerial spraying of toxic herbicides drifting onto adjacent properties that severely impacts the health of families, livestock, food crops, wildlife and watersheds. Despite tireless efforts, within the regulatory and legislative process, little has changed while chemical trespass continues unabated with few protections. Panelists will address the Community Bill of Rights vs. conventional legislative process, the risks to forest ecology, why timber companies get away with this practice and our new initiative to ban aerial spraying here in Lane County.

Panelists:
Roy Keene, forestry consultant & director of Our Forests
Eron King, Freedom from Aerial Herbicides Alliance, ORCRN
Tao Orion, author of "Beyond the War on Invasive Species"
Rob Dickinson, Oregonians for Community Rights

Learn More about The Freedom from Aerial Spraying of Herbicides Bill of Rights Charter Amendment!

Community Based Efforts to Protect Oregonians from Harmful Industrial Logging Practices

(EMU Oak) 4:00pm - 5:15pm
Friday March 4th (panel 5)

Helicopters spraying dangerous chemicals over communities, corporations converting healthy forests into developments, clearcuts destroying habitats for endangered species. These are the tragedies rural Oregonians face every day. This panel will discuss what is happening in local communities to address these issues in small towns and counties around the state.

Panelists:
Nancy Webster, Citizens of Rockaway Beach for Watershed Protection
Cameron La Follete, Executive Director, Oregon Coast Alliance
Eron King, Oregon Community Rights Network
Max Beeken, Coast Range Forest Watch

The Oregon Community Rights Movement needs your help!

The network of local Community Rights groups: The Oregon Community Rights Network (ORCRN) and the state constitutional amendment campaign: Oregonians for Community Rights (OR4CR) need volunteers to deepen and grow the movement around Oregon. No matter what the specific threat is— to social inequities, to local economies, to the environment at large—the fundamental cause is the same: Governmental structures and corporate constitutional rights/laws are rigged against the people in order to serve corporate interests, regardless of their harm to individuals, communities and the planet.

Because there is a single over-riding cause, we can develop a unifying, over-riding remedy: The Community Rights Movement, which places our communities’ rights above corporate “rights”. This Movement begins here, now, at the local level where we can have effect—and eventually by building rights into our state and federal constitutions in order to restore the People’s sovereignty and our democracy. How do we do this? We have teams in many different areas: fundraising, coalition building, event planning, communications, media relations, and outreach. If you have any experience or are at all interested in volunteering please contact Zach <volu...@oregoncommunityrights.org> or
fill out this volunteer form: http://www.oregoncommunityrights.org/volunteer

Thanks for your continued work and support!

- OR4CR Campaign Committee and ORCRN

Oregonians for Community Rights
http://www.oregoncommunityrights.org/

Created with NationBuilder, software for leaders.