SACD-R Playback on Oppo DV-980H

MichaelE

May 30, 2015, 12:18:34 PM5/30/15
to surrou...@googlegroups.com
Hello All:

I've about a "custom" firmware update that enables the Oppo DV-980H to recognize and play SACD-Rs.  (Right now I get the "unknown disc" error when I insert one in mine.)  Can anyone tell me where to find that firmware?  I currently have the latest upgrade from Oppo, MVer: 05.00.01.07 Batch: DV980-19-0722

John Kleitz

May 30, 2015, 3:23:15 PM5/30/15
to surrou...@googlegroups.com
Hi Michael, I've found the firmware you are looking for, but I cannot find the source (where I got it from). Someone in this group (I believe Richard) posted the link a while ago and I've tried using the firmware. As a result though, I still cannot hear any output even though it does play back SACDs. I may be doing something wrong, but I cannot figure out what it is. You're welcome to try this firmware and please let me know if you were successful. Just use it like you would a normal firmware update (be cautious and don't interrupt).
I've posted it to your to your email address.I hope it works for you. Possum

On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 5:09 PM, MichaelE <michael....@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello All:

I've about a "custom" firmware update that enables the Oppo DV-980H to recognize and play SACD-Rs.  (Right now I get the "unknown disc" error when I insert one in mine.)  Can anyone tell me where to find that firmware?  I currently have the latest upgrade from Oppo, MVer: 05.00.01.07 Batch: DV980-19-0722

980.BIN

MichaelE

Jun 3, 2015, 12:38:32 AM6/3/15
to surrou...@googlegroups.com
Possum--thanks very much; that worked!  Not quite sure why it worked: when I press the "OSD" button on my remote after the update, it displays the same version of the firmware as before, 05.00.01.07, batch DV980-19-0722.  (I was imagining you had sent batch DV980-21-1031, which is apparently a beta that Oppo withdrew: http://www.opendrivers.com/modeldriver/oppo_dv-980h-driver-download.html. I found that link after seeing your post.)  But I'm not asking questions.  Really appreciate the good turn, and am now enjoying the handful of SACD-Rs in my possession.  Hope you can get it working, too.  Maybe need to tweak some of the player settings that were reset to "default" as a result of the update?

Best,
Michael

tony harris

Jun 20, 2024, 10:46:02 AM (13 days ago) Jun 20
to SurroundSound
Hi you all!
I know it is insane to dig up an almost 10-year-old thread, but you are indeed my only hope!
Since most recent Bluray players have scrapped SACD-R support, I have been looking for an older, cheap player that has this compatibility. And somehow, after finding an offer for a used Oppo DV980H, I found your thread here and decided to buy it. It seems to have the latest official firmware which has NO support for SACD-R. I downloaded from here the 980.BIN file and tried the firmware update - but it does not work! The instructions say I have to put this file on a FAT-formatted USB drive, put that in the player, open and close the drive and it is supposed to find the update. But it doesn't! It just shows me the contents of the drive. I cannot seem to find any firmware downloads on the net. Does anyone maybe have something left? Or maybe the .ISO file of the update so I can try the CD-R upgrade?
Thanks SO much in advance!
Tony

Stephen Brandon

Jun 20, 2024, 11:03:54 AM (13 days ago) Jun 20
to 'LennonCobain' via SurroundSound
Good luck! I hope someone is able to help you! Sadly I don't have any input on this issue in particular, but will mention that the Blu-Ray player I have the Marantz UD-5005 does support SACD-R, and does not appear to be getting any new firmware updates (hasn't gotten on in years) so will probably continue to do so until it breaks, so if you can find that or its upmarket sibling the UD-7005 (which has more/better analog outputs, which are not important to me as I have mine hooked up via HDMI to a DSD capable receiver so I just use its DAC instead of the players internal ones), those might be good options if you can't get your Oppo working.

I have considered trying to buy one from Ebay just to keep around so that if/when mine breaks I have a backup, so I can play the backups of my SACDs should my originals ever get damaged.

kbb762

Jun 20, 2024, 12:05:21 PM (13 days ago) Jun 20
to surrou...@googlegroups.com
Sony is still the only one that still supports the SACD format.

tony harris

Jun 20, 2024, 12:37:26 PM (13 days ago) Jun 20
to SurroundSound
HI all, and thanks for keeping this subject alive!
@Stephen: I will keep that in mind, I had those Marantz machines on the list but their price always exceeded my budget unfortunately.
@kbb762: That information is in fact unrelated, as this thread is about the self-authored "SACD-R" format, which I doubt is supported by any current Sony machines.

razi

Jun 21, 2024, 2:45:57 AM (12 days ago) Jun 21
to SurroundSound
Hi;
I personaly, have an OPPO  BDP-93EU (BluRay Player)  and as far as I remember to update firmware,
you have to switch off power, put in your "stick", and swtich on power again. May be, you have to push an other button (eject?) with the power-on button or meanwhile.
I'm not so sure, it' long ago, that I did that (because I have one with DVD Audio with ISO support).
Normally, OPPO supports SACD-R from "scratch" (original firmware)!

But at the other hand, are you sure, that your SACD-R is working well?
Make an ISO of them (may be with ImgBurn: https://www.imgburn.com/) and put this ISO into Foobar2000 (with SACD components foo_input_sacd!)
and try to play back them. Look, if it works.

And do not mix up SACD-R with DSD-DISC, last is a specially Sony-format and with an other structure.

Try your luck ....

Rob Sulzinger

Jun 21, 2024, 3:48:24 AM (12 days ago) Jun 21
to SurroundSound

Michael Eldridge

Jun 21, 2024, 3:48:24 AM (12 days ago) Jun 21
to surrou...@googlegroups.com

Tony: unfortunately I do not still have the .bin file that "Possum" sent me all those years ago. (And I typically don't play SACD-Rs any more anyway; instead I usually play the ISOs through foobar2000 with the SACD plugin installed. (Or, more typically, since the old laptop on which I've installed foobar often strains under the load, I convert the ISOs to FLACs.)

What you might do, though, is send a query to Oppo Customer Support in Menlo Park: ser...@oppodigital.com. Last summer I sent a BDP-93 to them and they were willing to do a one-time "roll-back" of the firmware enabling it to once again play SACD-Rs. They said they were not permitted to do a similar rollback on a 103, but it's not impossible that they would do one for a 980H.