Describe your HiDef audio setup

Redbeard

Feb 1, 2020, 10:58:38 PM2/1/20
to SurroundSound
I’m starting to think about building my next audio computer, so I am curious as to how others render their HiDef and surround audio digital files (i.e., FLAC, APE, DSD, ALAC).   What hardware, OS and software do you use?

Also, has anyone built a HiDef audio system using a Raspberry PI?  Not clear if that's possible, or practical.

Currently I'm running a seven year old homemade computer running an AMD A4-3400 APU, 8 GB DDR3 SDRAM, 160 GB SSD (Windows 10 boot drive), 10 TB Media HD and Blu-ray drive.  I play audio in ISO, DSD & FLAC formats using foobar 2000 > WASAPI output via HDMI.

Other software I use often:
MP3tag  -  batch tagging.
DVDA Explorer - DVDA ripping
Exact Audio Copy - CD ripping
Audacity - audio editing
AudioMuxer - DVD & Bluray ripping
G-Force - graphic visualizations

My current setup has a nice form factor, little fan noise, fairly low energy consumption and performs well, but graphics could be improved.  I'd like to improve on all these characteristics for my new setup.

Advise and comments appreciated!

razi

Feb 2, 2020, 11:16:36 AM2/2/20
to SurroundSound
Hi Redbeard,

you use a lot of SW for your "Audio-Setup", but I miss a good Scraper ..
DVDA-Ripping can Foobar2000 do too, so you dont need DVDA Explorer.
I´ve never heard about "G-Force", I´ll check it.
And if you think about to extend to videos/film so would recoment VLC-Player.

For a good "Desktop" for DVDA´s could be Cyberlink´s Power-DVD (until version 7, afterwards there is no DVD-A-Playback possible).
How do you handle SACDs? Or donn´t you?

I used always a Mediaplayer, because I didn´t find a complet solution for videos AND music (audio) in ONE unit.
I think, such a device would be a better solution ... (may be I´m wrong).

razi

razi

Feb 2, 2020, 11:18:11 AM2/2/20
to SurroundSound
may be kodi could be a solution, but it does not comple meet your reqirements....

yeroc

Feb 10, 2020, 1:29:27 PM2/10/20
to SurroundSound
Very simplistic, no artwork and basic menus, but I use an Oppo 203 UHD (m9702 player running Oppo OS is @ $400 online) connected to my Synology NAS and pumped through Marantz SR7012 7.1.4 setup.

razi

Feb 22, 2020, 3:24:09 PM2/22/20
to SurroundSound
Hi yeroc,

it sounds good..
And it works for DVD-A-iso (what abuot menues in DVD-A?) and SACD-iso (multichannel) from NAS??
Also with DSD and Bit-stream-output via HDMI?
It was not so claer, what I found about it in internet.

Razi

razi

Mar 2, 2020, 10:58:07 PM3/2/20
to SurroundSound
That's it! M7902 was a good tip. I'll order one too....

RW

Mar 4, 2020, 7:19:10 PM3/4/20
to SurroundSound
Oppo 105 connected to Integra DHC-80.3 Prepro, Crown digital amps, driving Gallo Reference 3.1s, Center, and Surrounds.  I also have a Fiio X3 media player which is a pretty nice hardware player, and I use Pulsar media player software on my Samsung (Android) phone and HP Omen 17" laptop.  I really like Pulsar - totally free, no ads, and a very well constructed user interface.  I tried about 5 or 6 software other players and Pulsar was the best at finding and cataloging my existing library of hi-def file-based music.  Very intuitive and easy to use interface to boot!

The system sounds terrific!  Having matching speakers/drivers makes for a very cohesive and immersive soundfield.  It took me several years to construct the system using pre-owned gear found on Audiogon, Audio Asylum, etc.  Everything was in great shape (looked damn near new!) and I paid about 30 cents on the dollar.  Your basic budget killer system, heh, heh!!
RW
Message has been deleted

yeroc

Mar 13, 2020, 1:23:15 PM3/13/20
to SurroundSound
The M9702 will play SACD.iso but I can't confirm whether it plays with menus, probably does since it's reading the .iso (it also plays DVD, BD and UHD folder and .iso with menus). As for DVDA.iso, I can't confirm, sorry. I believe .iso will run over network if your NAS can do NFS.

My Oppo 203 will play DSD and bitstreams over HDMI so I expect the M9702 can do the same.

Ich Colonius

Mar 13, 2020, 2:27:11 PM3/13/20
to Digest recipients
SACD do not have a menue .....
like DVD-A it has. SACD is like a CD, not more.

BlueMail for Android herunterladen
Am 13. März 2020, um 18:21, yeroc <cor...@gmail.com> schrieb:
The M9702 will play SACD.iso but I can't confirm whether it plays with menus, probably does since it's reading the .iso (it also plays DVD, BD and UHD folder and .iso with menus). As for DVDA.iso, I can't confirm, sorry. I believe .iso will run over network if your NAS can do NFS.

My Oppo 203 will play DSD and bitstreams over HDMI so I expect the M9702 can do the same.

gmail

Mar 14, 2020, 7:52:44 AM3/14/20
to Digest recipients
I ordered a M7902 too, I hope I'll get it soon because of worldwide problems with Corona.
Your checks sounds so good, that I want to have one too.

With best regards,
Rainer

yeroc

Apr 8, 2020, 6:39:50 PM4/8/20
to SurroundSound
Been getting into DSD files, and have determined that HDMI can only output DSD64. So 203 and likely M9702 are out for DSD128+, need to test my Marantz with a DLNA server.

gmail

Apr 9, 2020, 6:13:31 AM4/9/20
to Digest recipients
Most of my DSD-FILES are DSD64, think.
So it should not so important t the moment for me.

But I didn't get my M9702 yet, I'm just waiting for it.
I was told, it is "in the queue", what evert means.

Best regards, Razi