SuperNotecard as an authoring tool

CRC

Oct 15, 2008, 8:59:56 AM10/15/08
to SuperNotecard
Mindola:

I'd like to propose a model for a way I would like to use
SuperNotecard as a complete authoring tool. In the broadest sense, I
would like to "write" in SNC and then export it to Word (and perhaps
other tools like LyX). First point is that the export needs to use
Styles. It should output both paragraph and character styles.
References should be exported as properly styled footnotes. (By the
way, I'm having trouble opening SNC RTF using Word 2007. Just export
"10 Days" and try opening it in 2007).

As to the use of SNC, I'd like to be able to start by building an
outline. Here the concept is that anything at the "bottom" of the
outline (leaf) is styled as text and anything above that is a header
(H1, H2, etc.) when exported. I like the idea of each "card" being a
paragraph or a point (in an ordered or unordered list). I then build
and as the structure evolves, the styling for the element follows it's
position in the hierarchy.

This approach stumbles a bit on the SNC distinction between a
"card" and a "deck". To do this, a "Deck" should simply be anything
that is not a leaf. Thus in my vision an card switches between being a
card and a deck when it is moved in the hierarchy.

The last item is a need to provide some level of "hint" or other
indication that something may not be what it seems in the hierarchy.
In this case I think of a "deck" containing cards which represent
points in an ordered list. In that case, the "deck" is "hinted" that
it is really the container for a list.

I've been using an outliner and some word macros to accomplish
this, but I would prefer the SNC metaphor to look at and reorganize my
content. The word macro uses a simple tabbed version of text with
"hints" like I described above and works fairly well. Thus if SNC
exported a tabbed version of the outline and provided a way to remove
the distinction between card and deck (a deck is simply a card with
other cards nested inside it) I could probably accomplish my goals.
Some other changes might eliminate the need for my macro.

What do others think about this approach??

Thanks,
Charles