Looking for House Staff and Bakers for Pirates of Penzance, the Upcoming Sudbury Savoyards Show

Persis Thorndike

Feb 11, 2014, 10:59:32 PM2/11/14
to Pirates, Sav Announce, Persis Thorndike
Hello Fellow Savoyards and Friends of the Sudbury Savoyards:

Come celebrate the Sudbury Savoyard 2014 season with Pirates of Penzance or The Slave of Duty.The 5th comic opera collaboration by Gilbert and Sullivan, Pirates opened at the Fifth Avenue Theatre in December 1879, for a run of over three months, and was well received by both audiences and critics. The story concerns Frederic, who, having completed his 21st year, is released from his apprenticeship to a band of tender-hearted pirates. He meets Mabel, the daughter of Major-General Stanley, and the two young people fall instantly in love. Frederic finds out, however, that he was born on 29 February, and so, technically, he only has a birthday each leap year. His apprenticeship indentures state that he remains apprenticed to the pirates until his 21st birthday, and so he must serve for another 63 years.[2] Bound by his own sense of duty, Frederic's only solace is that Mabel agrees to wait for him faithfully. For more information on the show, please visit the web site:www.sudburysavoyards.org

Sound exciting? You too can be part of this terrific production by joining our baking team, or volunteering to work House Staff.

Bakers provide the homemade treats to sell at our concession table. Last year our wonderful assortment of homemade cookies, brownies, bars, cupcakes, and the all time favorite Rice Krispie Treats, literally flew off the tables. And our specialty gluten-free, and diabetic items were an added bonus for those patrons for whom it was a big deal. For those of you who are so inclined, cookies and bars with that “Piratey look” would be a welcome addition to our concession table.

If you are not a baker, then please consider volunteering to work House Staff, a.k.a. an usher. It is the House Staff that creates that most important first impression on our audience. In addition to free admission to the production, your reward is the satisfaction you receive from your gracious and courteous service to our patrons. Our theme this year is Steampunk, colors this year will be brown and white, with a touch of red; ties for men and scarves for the ladies. Hats (Boaters), of course, are welcome.

The dates for this years’ production are as follows:

Thursday, February 20, 8:00 pm Dress Rehearsal
Friday, February 21, 8:00 pm
Saturday, February 22, 8:00 pm
Sunday, February 23, 2:00 pm
Friday, February 28, 8:00 pm
Saturday, March 1 at 2:00 and 8:00 pm

As you know, proceeds from our productions are donated to world hunger reliefRemember that through your kindness and generosity you are contributing to this noble cause.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Please contact Persis Thorndike, House Manager, per...@thorndike.name, 508-282-0089 or Susan Elberger, Assistant House Manager, saes...@yahoo.com, if you are interested in joining one of our teams.

Persis Thorndike & Susan Elberger
House Managers, Pirates of Penzance