Michael Attardi: The Next Walt Disney?

Hayden Craddolph

Nov 29, 2007, 12:14:38 PM11/29/07
For Immediate Release

Contact: Alan Shirk: al...@shirkcom.com , 610-736-9223
             Hayden Craddolph: hay...@haydenfilms.com, 610-533-3087

(Photo Attached: See caption below.)

Can Michael Attardi Really Be the Next Walt Disney?

By Hayden Craddolph
President, Haydenfilms LLC

One would think that the entertainment news media would be all over a story that involves independent filmmaker, Michael Attardi, who not only surpassed the all-time wins record, but also has smashed the record as a non-studio giant. Attardi’s 66th award on the film festival circuit happened at the Queens International Film Festival.

No one can dispute that Attardi’s animation sensation, “Once Upon a Christmas Village,” starring the voice talents of Jim Belushi, Tim Curry, Amanda Davis and you guessed it, Michael Attardi, holds this incredible record-breaking feat.

Can you believe that this is his first film?

Let’s take a deeper look at the project; ever since I joined Michael Attardi on the film festival tour this year, one question that always seemed to surface was “How did you get Jim Belushi and Tim Curry in your film?”

With his humble response Attardi says, “I was very lucky to find two great actors who believed in the project.” What an understatement! Belushi and Curry both knew what they were getting into. They read his script, listened to his music and signed on the dotted line. Don’t think for a moment, that Belushi and Curry didn’t see his concept as a full-length feature animation mega-hit someday.

This is why both of these actor’s have survived the test of time. They positioned themselves a role in his feature. That is why they’ve lasted so long in this crazy business. It’s all about trusting your gut!

Did I mention that this was his first film?

Now let’s take a look at the animation; a typical question asked of Attardi was, “How did you make your animation film? It looks completely different and fresh than the same old CGI animation we see from Hollywood.”

Attardi responds, “I have a very creative and talented animation team that thinks outside the box. We mixed a lot of old school techniques as well as new technology that I believe separates our style from the typical Hollywood animation. We use live backgrounds, motion capture and an organic CGI texture to our characters.”

Oh, by the way, did I mention that this was his first film.

Another question that is always asked during his Q&A sessions is: “How much money did you spend?”  To everyone’s amazement, as mouths would drop to the floor: “This film cost us $110,000 to make.” Said Attardi. “Sony Animation thought we spent a million.” If I didn’t know Michael Attardi so well, I would have sided with Sony Animation. You see, Michael Attardi is just that talented.

He raised his own money, wrote the story, starred as the lead voiceover, collaborated on the music, collaborated on the special effects, directed and produced his multi-award winning short animation. As much as he has done, he is still humble enough to give much of his credit to his animation and musical teams.

I believe that I’ve mentioned that this was his first film?

Just like Michael, I, too, have a new approach for the entertainment business. I’ve learned that if it’s not recognizable to the suits in Hollywood, they will not touch it with a ten-foot pole.

They did it with Orson Wells, Walt Disney, Hanna/Barbara and even George Lucas. They laughed at Disney with his theme park and cartoon ideas.  Tell that to the Disney stockholders who have made a fortune on one man’s dream. Hollywood laughed at George Lucas when he only wanted the merchandising rights for “Star Wars,” as the studio thought they screwed him. Try and laugh at George now and his Lucas Films, which is sitting on the real empire that struck back.

This was why I thought it was important for me to write this article.

Michael Attardi is a needle in the haystack. One day, Hollywood is going to be pricked by that same needle they never looked for to begin with.  Attardi has shown up at their doorstep with a shiny new package that is glowing with 66 awards. They don’t know what to do, so they haven’t opened up the door yet to let him in.

Just think about it, why would they? It’s a package they’ve never seen before, well, since Walt Disney. I hope I didn’t forget to mention something important?

Oh! Like this was his first film.

About Dream Balloon Productions

Dream Balloon Productions started in 2001, is devoted to producing high-quality family entertainment through the use of computer-generated (CG) animation. With award-winning creative talent and technological capabilities, our goal is to produce family animation films that deliver great stories, breathtaking visual imagery and a likeability that appeals to both children and adults.

In 2007, Dream Balloon Productions became the first animation studio to use motion capture with computer-generated (CG) animation behind live backgrounds shot with a Boris scope on high definition (HD) format.

About Haydenfilms

Haydenfilms LLC, founded in 2001, is an independent film production and distribution company based in Kutztown, Pa. Its mission is to create and foster an online network of independent and student film producers, and to provide the support and resources necessary for filmmakers to succeed. The Haydenfilms Online Film Festival, which is in its third year, was the first online festival to accept all short films regardless of genre and the first to offer a $10,000 grand prize. The Haydenfilms website provides industry news, a crew database, production boards and shopping for filmmaking software and equipment.

Complete information on “Once Upon A Christmas Village,” an animated Dream Balloon Productions film is available at: www.dreamballoonproductions.com

For more details on Michael Attardi and “Once Upon A Christmas Village,” as well as Haydenfilms programs and events, visit www.haydenfilms.com . Or call 610-894-9639.

PHOTO CAPTION FOR ATTACHED JPEG:

Independent filmmaker Michael Attardi, right, with, from left, Hayden Craddolph, president and founder of Haydenfilms LLC; Federico Castellucio, actor and artist; and Gianna Palminteri, actress and producer.
--
SHIRKcommunications
www.shirkcom.com

HOME OFFICE: