GPF Update

Casey Creamer

Aug 6, 2019, 11:17:55 AM8/6/19
to stonebrid...@googlegroups.com, SBD Info

Hello fellow Stone Bridge Drivers,

In that grand effort to keep up with the Stone Bridge Driver event ahead of you, yet another SBD event is now sold out.

That is the Hector Wine Company Glenkhana.

There are only a very few spots left in a few SBD events. Check them out here     http://grandprixfestival.com/participant.html    and if you’re not in yet, sign up now or forever hold your steering wheel.

If you can no longer get into the SBD event of your choice, either relax your standards, or better yet, consider being a Festival Volunteer   http://grandprixfestival.com/volunteers.html    this year and see what it’s like on the other side of the fence helping and encouraging drivers trying to keep up with the car ahead of them.

Casey

Casey Creamer

Aug 14, 2019, 9:38:56 AM8/14/19
to stonebrid...@googlegroups.com, SBD Info

Hello fellow Stone Bridge Drivers,

September is the month ahead of us that we are trying to keep up with.

There are a few spots left in our Stone Bridge Driver events.

Be aware that the deadline for registering for the few remaining spots if Friday August 23rd.

Expect to see more GPF updates soon.

Casey

Casey Creamer

Aug 14, 2019, 11:46:46 AM8/14/19
to stonebrid...@googlegroups.com, SBD Info

Hello fellow Stone Bridge Drivers,

This update is mostly for those who are entered in the Glenora Run, but it might also be of interest to the rest of you.

Some will remember that the Glenora Run cars used to park at the end of their Old Course laps in a diagonal fashion on both sides of Franklin Street between 4th and 2nd Streets. You may also remember that a few years ago, a few drivers failed to move their cars when it was time for the Watkins Glen PD to reopen Franklin Street which happens to also be NYS Route 14. This was not the first time this had happened, but that day the PD decided it would be the last time it would happen and they informed us that from then on, we would have to park the Glenora Run cars in legal spots parallel to the curb and that we would then have to find some other place to park the rest of the cars.

Members of the Grand Prix Festival committee have been diligently, if not annoyingly lobbying the police department ever since to try to get them to give us one more chance at parking diagonally and most important moving all of those cars by 7:30 in time for the PD to orderly reopen that state highway, intersection by intersection. They intend to complete the process by 7:45pm – there is very little time for error!

I am happy to announce that the lobbying and annoying has paid off. They have agreed to give us one more chance. I should emphasize here that they mean one more chance. If even one car is in the way of reopening Franklin Street on time, that will be it, forever. No more chances.

The easy way to do this is when you see the SVRA race cars leave town after their laps to head back up to the track, make your way north on Franklin Street to get back to your car so you can move it by 7:30. After some cars leave, that will leave room for some who want to stay to simply park in a legal spot parallel to the curb, and then you have nothing to worry about.

If you won’t be able to get back to your car by 7:30 to move it, I suggest you opt out of display parking at the end of your 2 laps by signaling our traffic person at 4th and Franklin that you want to proceed straight east on 4th street instead of turning left onto Franklin. At that point you are on your own to go find a place to park where spaces will be few and far between.

There is a possibility that not all of the Glenora cars will fit on Franklin and in that case we have an area where we will be able park the remaining cars on display.

Here is hoping that while keeping up with the car ahead of you, you will also be keeping up with the 7:30 deadline ahead of you.

See you soon,

Casey

Casey Creamer

Aug 16, 2019, 7:43:39 PM8/16/19
to stonebrid...@googlegroups.com, SBD Info

Hello fellow Stone Bridge Drivers,

The Knapp Vineyards Sorting Roadster Tour has now joined the ranks of Stone Bridge Driver events that are sold out.

Check the website for the few that are not quite sold out yet.  http://grandprixfestival.com/participant.html

And remember that next Friday 8/23 is the deadline for getting your registration in.

Casey

Casey Creamer

Aug 23, 2019, 3:04:38 PM8/23/19
to stonebrid...@googlegroups.com, SBD Info

Hello fellow Stone Bridge Drivers,

Most of you know this already but I did want to remind everyone that the Watkins Glen Grand Prix Festival is a rain and/or shine event. This is the Finger Lakes where the weather is ever changing.

Your best bet is to bring a raincoat and any other raingear to help ward off any moisture.

On another note I have attached a Driver’s Acknowledgement form. Please take a moment to print out a copy, fill it out and sign it, and bring it with you to check in for all Friday events. It is a great way to speed up the check in process. It is not needed for the Thursday FLX-Triumph Journey to the Top. Speaking of the FLX-Triumph, if you are in town on Thursday and not participating in that event, make sure to stop by at Lafayette Park between 10:00 and 2:00 to see the all Triumph car show portion of that event. And be there at 2:00 to give them a good send off as they start their various rally routes on their way to Lakewood Vineyards and later to complete their Journey by arriving at the Top of the Lake Restaurant.

So far, all of the last minute stuff on our end seems to be going well, so the Grand Prix Festival committee and all of the volunteers should be ready for you.

With Triumph as the Featured Marque, we expect a big crowd and a great Festival.

And you can just imagine what that big crowd is coming all this way to see. That’s right, they are poised and ready to watch all of you doing your best to keep up with the car ahead of you.

See you soon,

Casey

2019 Driver Rules Acknowledgement.pdf

Casey Creamer

Aug 23, 2019, 3:06:28 PM8/23/19
to stonebrid...@googlegroups.com, SBD Info

Hello fellow Stone Bridge Drivers,

Today is 8/23 and as promised registration is now completely closed for all 2019 Stone Bridge Driver events.

If you failed to keep up with the registration in front of you it is too late now.

And a big thank you to all of you who took the chance and signed up way in advance because that is what enables us to be able to plan the event properly.

See you soon,

Casey

Casey Creamer

Aug 24, 2019, 11:32:23 AM8/24/19
to stonebrid...@googlegroups.com, SBD Info

Hello fellow Stone Bridge Drivers,

You should all know that each participant in any Stone Bridge Driver event gets display parking in one form or another on festival day after your two lap tour of the Old Course, also known as the Cayuga Health System Laps of the Old Course. You not only have the best parking spots at the Festival, but the display of your cars IS an important part of The Festival.

Franklin Street reopens starting at 7:30.

Technically you are parked in for the duration of the festival, but there are a few ways around that. Each Stone Bridge Driver event parks in a different place, so the possibility of being able to sneak out early varies with each event.

If you absolutely, positively, have to get out of town before the latter part of the event, you can opt out of display parking at the end of your second lap. Opt out parking is not recommended, but if you insist on not having your display parking, when you get to the main intersection at 4th and Franklin,  opt out at the end of your 2nd lap by one or both people in the car putting your arm out the window and pointing straight ahead. That will give the Police officer and MP 4th & Franklin a heads up to clear the intersection so you can continue down 4th street and fend for yourself.

If you opt out, do not even think about parking in Lafayette Park with the Triumphs. Any car without the right sticker in that park will be towed.

If you turn the corner and head in the direction of the parking, you will be parked whether you wanted to or not. Once you are on Franklin Street after the end of your 2nd lap you are committed to parking. You will not be allowed to turn around at that point.

First you need to know how to count laps, even though our traffic staff is counting for you and you just need to follow our directions.

Your first lap starts the first time you cross the S/F line regardless of where you entered the course to get there. And your second laps starts the second time you cross the S/F line, regardless of where you exit the course to park.

So, if you are looking to opt out of the parking, after you have crossed the S/F line the second time, when you get to the intersection of Fourth and Franklin the next time, point that you want to go straight and then you are on your own. If you follow the rest of the group that will be parking, you will be parked too, no exceptions.

Please follow the directions of all traffic and parking people. The most important direction will be that all cars are to be parked nose in. We have a lot of cars to put across the Old Course in a very short period of time. While one group is parking, the next group is already on course doing their laps. This complex choreography only works if the group of cars that are parking get off of the course in a timely manner.

A timely manner is my polite way of saying RIGHT NOW!

One key element to that is parking nose in. After your whole group is completely parked, you can find a way to turn your car around if you really need to.

Here is the parking breakdown event by event.  (maybe the word breakdown was poorly chosen)

Tour de Marque/Triumph

All of you will be parking in Lafayette Park and will have no trouble being able to leave at any time.

Concorso Speciale:

You are pretty much locked in for the duration although there are a couple of creative ways to get out of there early, but you should plan on being there at least until the SVRA Cars arrive.

Glenkhana:

You are on display in a lot at 8th and franklin, but there are ways to leave if needed. That may include going the wrong way on a short one way street, but that is your problem.

Vintage Motorcycle Rallye:

How hard can it be to sneak a Bike out?

Founders Tour:

You are on display, but there are a few ways out for some of you via the side street.

Sporting Roadster Tour:

You are on display, but there are a few ways out for some of you via the side street.

Concours d’ Elegance:

You are on display all day and as soon as the Race Cars leave, you can get out of there.

Glenora Run:

Now this one is a little more complicated. Most if not all of you will be parked on the closed Franklin Street diagonal to the curb between 4th and 2nd Street. Once that diagonal parking has been filled, there may be a few of you who will be directed south on Franklin to a lot at 8th and Franklin. There will be some ways to sneak out by going the wrong way on 8th street to Madison. Not recommended, but possible. Those who are parked diagonally on Franklin will HAVE to move at 7:30 to allow for the reopening of Franklin Street. Don’t be late for that occasion. When you see the SVRA race cars leaving town to go back to the track, that will be a perfect time for you to make your way down the street to get to your cars so you can move them by 7:30.

If any of the ones on Franklin Street leave early it will really harm the display. But those on Franklin Street must move their cars by 7:30 at the latest.

LOONY Lotus Rendezvous:

You need to be on display because everyone likes to look at Lotus cars, but a few of you will find it easy to sneak out a little early if you have to, via the side street.

So you see, that most of you really won’t have much of a problem, but by all means if you are worried about getting out early, just opt out at the end of your laps when you get to 4th and Franklin.

If you decide to opt out, make sure you let your intentions be known at 4th and Franklin, because once you make the turn to head toward your parking area, you will be parked. There is no way at that point to turn you around or get you out of the mix. You will be parked with the rest of your group.

As long as you keep up with the car ahead of you, it will all work out just fine.

See you soon,

Casey

Casey Creamer

Aug 27, 2019, 8:21:28 AM8/27/19
to stonebrid...@googlegroups.com, SBD Info

Hello fellow Stone Bridge Drivers,

The Watkins Glen Promotions office now has the Grand Prix Festival official Programs hot off the presses and in stock.

These programs will be given out all day long at the Grand Prix Festival.

You can also view this wonderful publication in advance, here on our website.        http://www.grandprixfestival.com/documents/Program2019.pdf

Enjoy,

Casey

Casey Creamer

Sep 2, 2019, 9:55:53 AM9/2/19
to stonebrid...@googlegroups.com, SBD Info

Hello fellow Stone Bridge Drivers,

Today is Labor Day. So I thought it was about time to review the rules of the road relative to your Cayuga Health System two lap tours of the Old Course that are quickly approaching.

If you have done this before and have mastered the skill of keeping up with the car ahead of you, feel free to hit delete because you know the drill.

Otherwise please read it carefully and commit it to memory for use this Friday.

Rules for Laps of the Old Course for Stone Bridge Drivers

During your 2 lap tour of the Old Course it is an open road, not a closed course. There will be oncoming traffic and there may even be local traffic mixed in with your group if you wrongly let that happen. If you want local traffic mixed in with your group all you have to do is not keep up with the car ahead of you, which will allow them to get in and fill the gap that you created by not keeping up with the car ahead of you.

Be aware that one third of you want to drive too fast, and wish the rest would speed up.

Another third of you want to drive too slowly, and are annoyed at how fast everyone else is going.

While the other third just wants to do it properly with everyone keeping it at a safe and proper speed.

My goal is to keep this festival going for as many years as possible. That means NO MISHAPS on the Old Course. It is better to have a little bit of fun for a lot of years than to have a lot of fun for only one year.

Although each Stone Bridge Driver Event will have its own lead car, there will be one common pace car that will pace each group for all of the Stone Bridge Driver Laps. This year the pace car will be a 1976 Classic Mini Driven by Bill Penglase, our Pace Car driver. Charlie Beck will be driving a Miata as the last car (sweep car) for each group. If you are running in the back and having trouble keeping up, DO NOT try to wave the Sweep Car around you. The Sweep Car is the last car in each group for a reason.

In the past, most groups were be split into two lanes as they entered Franklin Street on their approach to the S/F line for the start of their two laps. This year when you enter Franklin Street for the first time on your approach to the S/F line you will be directed by our Splitter (Dancing Dan) to either the right lane or the left lane depending on a number of circumstances. But you will not be split left, right in alternating fashion. Although there will be no splitting, we still refer to Dancing Dan as the Splitter. He is a pro and is used to splitting real race cars driven by pros, so act accordingly. Meaning look for his signals and do what he tells you, and try not to hit him. He is trained to not move, so you only have one spot to avoid.

Each group will get a standing start with the right lane going first and then the left lane will follow the cars from the right lane as they approach turn one at the beginning of their two laps. This will happen one lane at a time. In other words one lane will proceed and then the other will follow. This will all be at the direction of our traffic people. So, all you have to do is pay attention and go when and where they tell you to go. Do not delay when it is time to go.

By the way, there will be no driver switches, or discharge or pick up of passengers during your two laps of the Old Course. Even while you are momentarily stationary awaiting the start of your laps.

There will be no passing at all while doing your two laps on the Old Course. Sorry, but we really have to keep it safe for the longevity of this great event.

Keep in mind that when we do our laps, the Old Course is still an open road. It is NOT a closed course as it is for the SVRA cars, later on.

There will be no breaking of any speed limits while doing your two laps on the Old Course. There will be Police cars patrolling the course in the opposite direction who will be issuing traffic tickets to any violators.

Standard NY seat belt laws will still be in effect and will be enforced. And the driver and every passenger in your car must have signed a waiver when they showed up at their respective events. That means no added passengers for your two lap tour. And if I catch any driver texting or talking on a cell phone while driving, you will instantly be thrown out.

While speeding is prohibited, driving too slow will also not be tolerated. If you and/or your car are not capable of maintaining 55 MPH outside of the village limits, we ask that you agree to not participate in your respective two lap tour of the Old Course. Please tell your event chair at your drivers meeting that you won’t be able to keep up and you will be told where to go and what to do so that you will still be able to park with your group.

Anyone who is taking part in the two lap tour, who fails to keep up with the group, will be pulled out of their group on Franklin Street by one of the traffic workers and asked to remain there while the rest of their group completes their laps. I know this sounds harsh, but I have to tell you that not keeping up with the car ahead of you can be as dangerous and/or disruptive as driving too fast.

It will be up to each and every Stone Bridge Driver to KEEP UP with the car in front of you. You will not be required to break any speed limits or drive in a dangerous manner to accomplish this task of keeping up. But it will only work if everyone does their part. If one car lags behind, they hold up the train behind them, and then they have to go too fast to catch up, and then we have huge holes in the group, which in turn encourages pedestrians to cross the street, which can of course put them and our entire festival in jeopardy. Also even relatively small gaps will unnecessarily allow local cars and trucks to get into the mix which will then make it impossible for you to keep up without dangerously speeding. When I see the gap on Franklin Street and you tell me there had been a big truck who got into the line, I automatically know you were not keeping up properly. That is the only way that truck could have gotten in front of you.

Treat it like a funeral procession in a big city that has to go through traffic lights all together as one unit. They can do it, so can you.

You all know the old joke: Why did the pedestrian cross the road? No it really wasn’t to get to the other side. It was because one of you failed to keep up with the car ahead of you and now we have a bunch of pedestrians in the way. Shame on you!

Not keeping up with the car ahead of you not only encourages stupid pedestrians to put themselves into harm’s way, but it will also allow cars, trucks, and dreaded RVs out on the course to get into your line and in the way of everyone. The best way to keep them out is to keep up with the car ahead of you. This will also make it impossible for the interlopers who try every year to get into the act.

We have a lot of Stone Bridge Driver vehicles to put across the Old Course in a very small amount of time. That creates a very tight schedule that only works when you are doing your part by following directions and keeping up with the car ahead of you.

Another thing to consider is that while you are enjoying your 2 laps of the Old Course, you are also “The Show” downtown for many, many spectators. Well, it isn’t much of a show if there are big gaps between groups of cars. That leaves you just one choice:

Keep up with the car ahead of you.

Please help the festival by doing your part to obey these rules. You will still have a fun drive and you will find that it will be so much more enjoyable for everyone when you are all going at approximately the same speed.

Casey Creamer

Sep 4, 2019, 8:59:06 AM9/4/19
to stonebrid...@googlegroups.com, SBD Info

Hello fellow Stone Bridge Drivers,

Today is Wednesday and we are just a few days away from the main event.

For those of you who show up in town early, don’t forget the FLX Triumph Journey to the Top on Thursday. There will be a Triumph only car show at Lafayette Park from 10:00 to 2:000. Then all of the Triumphs embark on their rally routes that include a stop at Lakewood Vineyards and then they drive the rest of the rally as they make their way to the Top of the Lake Restaurant in Penn Yan, which happens to be located just where you would expect, at the top of Keuka Lake. Randy and his team have done an outstanding job as usual of organizing this terrific Thursday branch of the Grand Prix festival.

Next on the agenda is the main Grand Prix Festival on Friday.

We have been planning and working on this event all year long and I can tell you that the Grand Prix Festival Committee is ready for you.

Now all you have to do is show up and be prepared to spend the day keeping up with the car ahead of you and BEING the Grand Prix Festival.

See you soon,

Casey

Casey Creamer

Sep 7, 2019, 9:49:42 AM9/7/19
to stonebrid...@googlegroups.com, SBD Info

Hello fellow Stone Bridge Drivers,

Well, another great Grand Prix Festival is in the history books.

I hope you all had a good time. I noticed one who probably didn’t have a great time as he got removed from the laps. There was a huge gap and when he was pulled over, his explanation was that a truck got between him and the rest of the group and then went too slow which left him way behind. Well, I guess he didn’t fully understand that keeping up with the car ahead of you means NOT leaving a gap big enough for a big truck to slip into.

The good news is that we keep seeing less and less of this problem every year, so we are definitely making progress.

Well, I enjoyed the day and I certainly enjoyed watch most of you keep up with the car ahead of you.

Each one of you should have gotten and Early Bird registration form in your participant’s packet. You know what to do with that.

See you next year.

Thanks for BEING the Grand Prix Festival. We can’t do it without YOU.

Casey

Casey Creamer

Sep 12, 2019, 8:25:18 AM9/12/19
to stonebrid...@googlegroups.com, SBD Info

Hello fellow Stone Bridge Drivers,

Our web guy Eric has been diligently keeping up with the website in front of him. As a result, surprise, there was a photographer at the Stone Bridge and you are able to purchase shots of your car on our website http://www.grandprixfestival.com/

Use the word “Vintage” as a coupon code for a discount.

To purchase photos a shopping cart icon will appear when hovering over a photo that must be clicked to make a purchase.  More photos are being added daily as there are thousands to sort through, so check back often if your car is not on the site yet.

You will also notice that the 2020 registration form is now posted on the website.

Casey