GPF Update

Casey Creamer

Aug 1, 2023, 1:12:57 PM8/1/23
to stonebrid...@googlegroups.com, SBD Info (stonebridgedriversinfo@googlegroups.com)

Hello fellow Stone Bridge Drivers,

Just a quick update to let you know that the Hector Wine Company Glenkhana   http://grandprixfestival.com/glenkhan.html  is now also full.

To see where there are still a few places left just go to   http://grandprixfestival.com/participant.html  and looks for anything that doesn’t say sold out.

Expect to be seeing more updates from me in the near future as we get closer to that magic date.

Casey

Casey Creamer

Aug 8, 2023, 2:13:33 PM8/8/23
to stonebrid...@googlegroups.com, SBD Info (stonebridgedriversinfo@googlegroups.com)

Hello fellow Stone Bridge Drivers

August 21st is the deadline for being able to register for any of our Stone Bridge Driver events that still have room.

If you haven’t gotten in yet, don’t delay, go to    http://grandprixfestival.com/participant.html     and sign up for one of the very few positions that are left.

If you want to be part of the event, but don’t qualify for whatever spots are left, here is an alternative. Why not see how much fun life can be on the other side of the fence. Go to      http://grandprixfestival.com/volunteers.html      and become a festival volunteer.

Just imagine how muchfun you can have watching others trying to keep up with the car ahead of them.

See you soon,

Casey

Casey Creamer

Aug 14, 2023, 2:25:55 PM8/14/23
to stonebrid...@googlegroups.com, SBD Info (stonebridgedriversinfo@googlegroups.com)

Hello fellow Stone Bridge Drivers,

The Glenora Run is the latest Stone Bridge Driver Event to now be sold out for this year.

Just in time for the upcoming registration deadline of 8/21/23.

Look for a lot more updates coming soon.

Casey

Eric Koder

Aug 15, 2023, 2:52:36 PM8/15/23
to stonebrid...@googlegroups.com, SBD Info (stonebridgedriversinfo@googlegroups.com)
Hi.
Was wondering if you know anything if the old road course will be repaired by Vintage? Drove it the other week in my classic car and was very surprised how bad of shape the road is in.

Casey Creamer

Aug 15, 2023, 3:04:10 PM8/15/23
to stonebrid...@googlegroups.com, SBD Info (stonebridgedriversinfo@googlegroups.com)

It was repaired earlier this year in May. And it usually gets repaired shortly before our event. We are hoping that they get to do some more repair work in time for the Grand Prix Festival. But one never knows. We will do what we can, but no guarantees.

One thing I can tell you is that this original street course did actually have a dirt section as part of it. Now it is a public road. So check it out when you get there and drive accordingly while keeping up with the car ahead of you.

Casey

Jim Noll

Aug 15, 2023, 3:53:18 PM8/15/23
to stonebrid...@googlegroups.com, SBD Info (stonebridgedriversinfo@googlegroups.com)
You think its interesting on 4 wheels  Try it on 2 with vintage skinny tires !!!

Casey Creamer

Aug 24, 2023, 11:40:26 AM8/24/23
to stonebrid...@googlegroups.com, SBD Info (stonebridgedriversinfo@googlegroups.com)

Hello fellow Stone Bridge Drivers,

I want to remind you all that the Grand Prix Festival is a rain and/or shine event. The only thing that will change if it rains is that when you drive past me when I am standing in the middle of Franklin Street urging you to keep up with the car ahead, I might be wearing some sort of rain jacket. Otherwise nothing changes. If anyone decides not to show up for fear of rain, don’t expect any sort of refund. You signed up for a rain or shine event, and as long as we put on the event, we have provided what you paid for whether you show up or not.

If you are worried about rain, I suggest you bring your raincoats and umbrellas. I find that the more that people bring raingear, the less likely it will actually rain. I never show up to race without bringing my set of rain tires. That way, I rarely have to use them.

One more thing. If you are driving with your top down while doing your laps of the Old Course and it starts to rain, do NOT STOP to put up your top. If I catch anyone doing that, they will be removed from the laps immediately. If you just keep going and keep up with the car ahead, you really won’t get wet. But if it worries you that much, put the top up before you start your laps.

Of course as was the case last year, if any brief shower happens to show up, it will most likely happen during the laps of the Sporting Roadster Tour, and of course all of those cars will have their tops down. Go figure. I can tell you that since 1993, we have had very few tiny amounts of rain during our Grand Prix Festival even though we have seen torrential rain either a day or two before or on Saturday or Sunday after.

Either way, all you have to do is keep up with the car ahead, and all will be right with the world.

See you soon,

Casey

ralphbutton

Aug 24, 2023, 3:21:31 PM8/24/23
to stonebrid...@googlegroups.com, SBD Info (stonebridgedriversinfo@googlegroups.com)
Over the years I have found I'm not sweet enough to melt in the rain!  Thus the roadster will be ready, with rain tires but no top, bring it on!

It's going to be soon now!
Ralph

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy Note20 Ultra 5G, an AT&T 5G smartphone

Casey Creamer

Aug 31, 2023, 11:06:30 AM8/31/23
to stonebrid...@googlegroups.com, SBD Info (stonebridgedriversinfo@googlegroups.com)

Hello fellow Stone Bridge Drivers,

You should all know that each participant in any Stone Bridge Driver event gets display parking in one form or another on festival day after your two lap tour of the Old Course. You not only have the best parking spots at the Festival, but the display of your cars IS an important part of The Festival.

Franklin Street reopens at 8:00.

Technically you are parked in for the duration of the festival, but there are a few ways around that. Each Stone Bridge Driver event parks in a different place, so the possibility of being able to sneak out early varies with each event.

If you absolutely, positively, have to get out of town before the latter part of the event, you can opt out of display parking at the end of your second lap. Opt out parking is not recommended, but if you insist on not having your display parking, when you get to the main intersection at 4th and Franklin,  opt out at the end of your 2nd lap by one or both people in the car putting your arm out the window and pointing straight ahead. That will give the Police officer and Maryanne (our 4th and Franklin person) a heads up to clear the intersection so you can continue down 4th street and fend for yourself.

If you opt out, do not even think about parking in Lafayette Park with the Mustangs from the Tour de Marque. Any car without the right sticker in that park will be towed.

If you turn the corner and head in the direction of the parking, you will be parked whether you wanted to or not. Once you are on Franklin Street after the end of your 2nd lap you are committed to parking. You will not be allowed to turn around at that point.

First you need to know how to count laps, even though our traffic staff is counting for you and you just need to follow our directions.

Your first lap starts the first time you cross the S/F line regardless of where you entered the course to get there. And your second lap starts the second time you cross the S/F line, regardless of where you exit the course to park.

So, if you are looking to opt out of the parking, after you have crossed the S/F line the second time, when you get to the intersection of Fourth and Franklin the next time, point that you want to go straight and then you are on your own. If you follow the rest of the group that will be parking, you will be parked too, no exceptions. And of course if you are following someone who decides to opt out, take notice of them pointing their way out so that you don’t make the mistake of following them after being told so much to keep up with the car ahead of you.

Please follow the directions of all traffic and parking people. The most important direction will be that all cars are to be parked nose in. We have a lot of cars to put across the Old Course in a very short period of time. While one group is parking, the next group is already on course doing their laps. This complex choreography only works if the group of cars that are parking get off of the course in a timely manner.

A timely manner is my polite way of saying RIGHT NOW!

One key element to that is parking nose in. After your whole group is completely parked, you can find a way to turn your car around if you really need to.

Here is the parking breakdown event by event.  (maybe the word breakdown was poorly chosen)

Showcase of Speed:

You are really locked in with no way out until the SVRA cars are done with their laps.

Tour de Marque/Corvette

All of you will be parking in Lafayette Park and will have no trouble being able to leave at any time. But, why would you want to leave such a beautiful setting?

Concorso Speciale:

You are pretty much locked in for the duration although there are a couple of creative ways to get out of there early, but you should plan on being there at least until the SVRA Cars arrive.

Glenkhana:

You are on display, but there are ways to leave if needed.

Vintage Motorcycle Rallye:

How hard can it be to sneak a Bike out?

Founders Tour:

You are on display, but there are a few ways out for some of you via the side street.

Sporting Roadster Tour:

You are on display, but there are a few ways out for some of you via the side street.

Concours d’ Elegance:

You are on display all day and as soon as the Race Cars leave, you can get out of there.

Glenora Run:

Now this one is a little more complicated. You will be parked on the closed Franklin Street diagonal to the curb between 4th and 2nd Street. If any of the ones on Franklin Street leave early it will really harm the display. But those on Franklin Street must move their cars by 8:00 at the latest. At one point we lost the privilege of parking diagonally because a few cars didn’t remember to leave by the time we had to open Franklin Street which is also a state highway and has to open on time. Now we are back to diagonal parking there, but it will only work if every Glenora car remembers to be gone by 8:00.

LOONY Lotus Rendezvous:

You need to be on display because everyone likes to look at Lotus cars. And you will see that if you get hungry, there will be plenty of food available within a very short walk, so there is really no need to leave early.

So you see that most of you really won’t have much of a problem, but by all means if you are worried about getting out early, just opt out at the end of your laps when you get to 4th and Franklin.

If you decide to opt out, make sure you let your intentions be known at 4th and Franklin, because once you make the turn to head toward your parking area, you will be parked. There is no way at that point to turn you around or get you out of the mix. You will be parked with the rest of your group.

Please remember that display parking not only gets you one of the best parking spots possible, but it also is a very important part of our festival for the rest of the spectators. They love wandering over to your particular area to see all of the cool cars.

As long as you keep up with the car ahead of you, it will all work out just fine.

See you soon,

Casey

Casey Creamer

Sep 6, 2023, 12:52:00 PM9/6/23
to stonebrid...@googlegroups.com, SBD Info (stonebridgedriversinfo@googlegroups.com)

Hello fellow Stone Bridge Drivers,

I have attached an interesting press release related to our event.

See you real soon,

Casey

2023 Festival News Release.pdf

Casey Creamer

Sep 6, 2023, 1:07:09 PM9/6/23
to stonebrid...@googlegroups.com, SBD Info (stonebridgedriversinfo@googlegroups.com)

Another press release:

 Bill Green Named Grand Marshal

IMRRC Historian Bill Green has been named Grand Marshal for the SVRA Hilliard U.S. Vintage Grand Prix on Sunday, Sept. 10th. Longtime friends of the Center know Bill as the encyclopedia of racing history - especially its history in Watkins Glen.

Bill attended the very first Grand Prix in Watkins Glen in 1948 when cars raced through the center of the village on the street circuit. With the 75th anniversary of that day just weeks away, it feels fitting and highly appropriate for Bill to be selected as Grand Marshal.

Bill will be very busy on Friday, Sept. 9th fulfilling the duties of his role, but you can find him at the Grand Prix Festival at 3 p.m. in Lafayette Park for "The Legends Speak."

Racing Historian and Watkins Glen Native Bill Green Named Grand Marshal for Hilliard U.S. Vintage Grand Prix

August 31, 2023

The longtime member of the International Motor Racing Research Center will give the command ahead of the SVRA race on Sept. 10

WATKINS GLEN, N.Y. (August 31, 2023) – Longtime racing fan, historian and Watkins Glen native Bill Green was named Grand Marshal for the SVRA Hilliard U.S. Vintage Grand Prix on Sunday, Sept. 10, the track announced today.

Green attended the very first Grand Prix in Watkins Glen back in 1948 when cars traversed through the center of the village on a lengthy street circuit. Over the years, Green has fostered a wealth of knowledge and passion for motor racing that directly reflects the essence of Watkins Glen International.

“People like Bill, who have a deep love for racing and a dedication to this track, are the reason we do what we do here at Watkins Glen International,” said Chip Wile, Senior Vice President and Chief Track Properties Officer at NASCAR and Board Member of the IMRRC. “His work at the International Motor Racing Research Center helps preserve the 75 years of rich racing history in this town, and we’re honored to have him as our Grand Marshal for the SVRA race weekend.”

Green has been a resident of the Watkins Glen area his entire life and is a comprehensive library of information on all things regarding the history of Watkins Glen International. He attended the very first Watkins Glen Grand Prix when he was eight years old, and his love for racing has only grown since then.

“When I was asked to be Grand Marshal for this year’s Vintage Grand Prix Festival, I was surprised,” said Green. “I felt very honored as over the 75 years that road racing has been run at The Glen, I have attended almost every event held and seen history unfold.”

Green currently serves as liaison to the Historians Council for the International Motor Racing Research Center (IMRRC) located in Watkins Glen. He is internationally recognized for his extensive knowledge of racing in the area and for his personal collection of racing materials.

“Bill is universally known as ‘the guru’ for his encyclopedic knowledge of Watkins Glen racing history and his knowledge of racing in general,” said Mark Steigerwald, Executive Director for the IMRRC. “His selection as Grand Marshal in celebration of 75 years of racing here is an inspired choice, and a highly appropriate honor.”

The SVRA race weekend at Watkins Glen International kicks off on Thursday, Sept. 7, and continues through Sunday, Sept. 10, with three days of racing action, celebrating the tradition and history of 75 years of racing in Watkins Glen.

To purchase tickets for the SVRA Hilliard U.S. Vintage Grand Prix or for more information, please visit www.TheGlen.com.

Casey Creamer

Sep 11, 2023, 3:08:35 PM9/11/23
to stonebrid...@googlegroups.com, SBD Info (stonebridgedriversinfo@googlegroups.com)

For those who are interested in the pictures that were taken at this year’s Grand Prix Festival, see below and click where it says Z10 blow.

Sep 12, 2023, 9:20:52 AM9/12/23
to stonebrid...@googlegroups.com
Link does not appear to work

Casey Creamer

Sep 12, 2023, 9:22:06 AM9/12/23
to stonebrid...@googlegroups.com

I just clicked on it and it works if you click the right link.

But here is another one that should also work.

https://allstylesproduction.pixieset.com/z10stonebridgedriverswggpf/

Sep 21, 2023, 12:13:52 PM9/21/23
to stonebrid...@googlegroups.com, SBD Info (stonebridgedriversinfo@googlegroups.com)

Hello fellow Stone Bridge Drivers,

This is from the

National Corvette Museum

350 Corvette Drive

Bowling Green, KY 42101

312.459.4253  corvettemuseum.org

We put together a video with the historic lap, linked here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yee50Q_l7Bk, complemented by a news post, Celebrating The Early Roots Of Corvette At ‘The Glen’

Not the best demonstration of the art of keeping up with the car ahead, but good enough.

Casy