IMPORTANT NOTICE : StartAid will begin moving to non Public use in March 2013

Kurtis

Feb 14, 2013, 2:16:49 PM2/14/13
to StartAid
Hi Folks,

Due to never trying to monetize StartAid by blasting you with Ads it
has become expensive to maintain servers for the large user database.

Starting Next month I am moving toward pruning inactive users and
moving to a much smaller server.

What this would mean is that is you have been an active user and then
your account should remain active with no impact.

Will likely move to an invite only system for new users. So the
signup page will be put on hold.

I ask that you all backup your bookmarks even if you are an active
user as I will not be doing restores after the purge. I then plan to
put inactive users accounts on hold for a month and then purge them
from the system if the inactive users do not ask to be reactivated.

Recently a lot of new members have simply been using startaid to spam,
so by reducing the spammers, inactive users I can do two things.
Move to smaller/cheaper servers and hopefully have StartAid perform
better for those of you that do use the service.

Thanks,
Kurtis

Kurtis Harper

Nov 5, 2013, 8:47:56 PM11/5/13
to star...@googlegroups.com
A couple of things, I moved StartAid to a new server on Nov 1 2013.  I am in the process of purging over 1 Million user accounts that are have been inactive, never activate and/or spammy.   In addition to those 1 Million + accounts I am also removing over 25 Million bookmarks and associated information from the database.

This means since I am running scripts isstead of a Mass purge of all accounts, that I will be running the cleanup scripts over the next week or so in order to keep impacts to a minimum.  NOTE, thes scripts will case the site to hang for several seconds when purging big accounts.  So you will notice these hiccups for the next week or so.

After the rough purge complete, I will be focusing in more on non users remaining and people spamming, so more I expect to cut another 200,000+ users in the next wave.

My goal is to keep Startaid to the core of people that really use it so that it can be fast and responsive and not bogged down with clutter.

Take Care,
Kurtis

Kurtis Harper

Nov 15, 2013, 7:08:57 PM11/15/13
to star...@googlegroups.com
Hi Folks,

I rebuilt the old database from the Backup I made on Nov 1 on another server.  It will let me create a backup file of your bookmarks if your account was deleted in error.

If you want a copy of your bookmarks, send me a note from the "Contact Us" form located in the options menu of Startaid.com.   Include the email address of the account your signed up with as well as your username and  I will generate you your bookmark file from the Nov 1 backup.

You can then import a copy of this back into a new startaid.com account from the options menu>Import bookmarks.

I will keep this backup for about a month, so please contact me right away if you need a copy :)

Kurtis
Message has been deleted

Oliver Dester

Nov 23, 2013, 6:44:56 AM11/23/13
to star...@googlegroups.com
Many thanks for this service - from Germany :-)

Message has been deleted

Linda Gittinger Hickman

Feb 18, 2014, 1:49:09 AM2/18/14
to star...@googlegroups.com
Are you giving any consideration of going to a paid service (perhaps tiered, with daily users being free?) as I would gladly pay a reasonable monthly or yearly fee for this service?  How does one go about getting an invitation to signup/re-signup?  Will you be adding a notice to the Firefox addon page as to when/if we will be allowed to sign up again or maybe a notice as to why an activation email is not received when we do sign up?

Thank you 'very' much for your time!

Kind regards,
Linda

Kurtis Harper

Feb 18, 2014, 1:26:17 PM2/18/14
to star...@googlegroups.com
You should be able to signup again with a new account if the old one
was purged for inactivity. Feel free to try a new email account.

Kathie Jones

Mar 2, 2014, 9:06:25 AM3/2/14
to star...@googlegroups.com
OH NO! Kurtis I would be more than willing to pay for using the service, but I saw no notification about the changeover and now my account is gone. I have YEARS of bookmarks that are now gone.
Is there anyway to restore my account? I am trying to get emailed the info to get back in my account and no-go. Is there ANY way to get the account back? I am so upset...uggghhhh. TONS of links and saves are gone gone gone. I used this service because I thought it was going to be archived online instead of in my system and now...
:close to tears:

Kathie

Valexandrie Croquelois

Mar 2, 2014, 10:45:09 AM3/2/14
to star...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I have important bookmarks but log in rarely. Now I can't log in anymore, could you please re-activate my account ?
My best,
Alex
login: valexandrie