Both SPLA and IO claim control of Lelo and Warjok

Elisabeth Janaina

Oct 18, 2016, 1:04:33 AM10/18/16
to southsudankob

Both SPLA and IO claim control of Lelo and Warjok

Memoscar Lasuba |

October 17, 2016 | 12:34 pm

Soldiers celebrate in the camp of Lelo following heavy fighting over the weekend - October 16, 2016. (Photo by REUTERS)

The SPLA and forces loyal to Dr. Riek Machar are both claiming control of Lelo and Warjok of Fashoda State, where they clashed over the weekend.The two sides also accuse each other of carrying out the attack.

At least 60 soldiers were reportedly killed in the gunfight.

“I made a visit to Malakal yesterday [Sunday] with a number of representatives from different media houses and we crossed over to western bank of the Nile River, which is Fashoda state,”

“We visited the areas that were attacked over the weekend – Lelo and Warjok. The SPLA forces are in full control of the two places,” said Brigadier Lul Ruai, SPLA Spokesman.

However, the spokesperson of Dr Riek Machar, James Gatdet, said IO forces were attacked but managed to repel the attackers – SPLA.“The truth of the matter is, our force controls Lelo,” Mr Gatdet told Eye Radio. “Our forces were defending themselves and managed to chase them back to Malakal.”