Jubek deploys ‘special units’ to curb Juba night crimes

Elisabeth Janaina

Sep 25, 2017, 12:39:30 PM9/25/17
to southsudankob
Jubek deploys ‘special units’ to curb Juba night crimes
Obaj Shago | September 25, 2017 | 2:59 pm
Aerial view of Juba showing City Mall | Photo | Mustafa Osman.

The Governor of Jubek has said “special units” tasked with conducting
night patrols at residential areas in Juba have been established.

Augustino Jadalla said this is in response to complaints raised
recently by some Juba residents recently.

The residents say they are being robbed at gunpoint by men in security
uniforms, an allegation the minister of defense confirmed last month.

“We have started in Kator, Altabara and Malakia and we are
succeeding,” Mr Jadalla said, “the same will be established in Gudele
and we will also be working in Munuki and Rock City. The force is a
small, coherent and controllable force.”

Last Friday, seven members of the Joint Force were arrested in
connection with the killing of a two-year old baby and a man in
Gudele.

And earlier, defense minister Kuol Manyang told Eye Radio that they
were holding “weak-hearted” members of organized forces overnight
crimes.

He said they include members of the national security, police, SPLA
and Presidential Guards.

Last week, civil society organization the Community Empowerment for
Progress Organization (CEPO), called for establishment of more police
stations at residential areas to improve security in Juba.