Project idea

Neil

Aug 8, 2005, 9:32:38 AM8/8/05
to Sonos Development
Hi...

This could be a good intro project for someone:

I'd love to see a small utility that will mute or reduce the Sonos'
volume when there's an incoming phone call.

I imagine that any machine with a modem will make available an
indication (via TAPI?) that the phone is ringing. It shouldn't be too
hard to listen for that and then either mute Sonos or reduce its volume
to a set amount or percentage of the current amount.

Sound doable?

Thanks!

Wilson J. Chan

Aug 8, 2005, 9:43:53 AM8/8/05
to So...@googlegroups.com
I wrote a module for Crestron and Asterisk that does just that. My
Sonos is connected to my Crestron. If you want to take a look, it's
posted to the Crestron Yahoo group's file section. The version there is
slightly buggy; I'll upload a newer version later today.

--wilson

xAP

Aug 8, 2005, 10:30:02 AM8/8/05
to Sonos Development
Hi Neil,

xAP ( www.xapautomation.org) is a great protocol for doing things
just like this and there are CallerID and many applications available
(see www.mi4.biz for examples). However no xAP conduit for Sonos yet
:-( but I have just got a Sonos system and have some needs so I will
look at getting some rudimentary functionality there. There is a full
xAP audio schema supporting transport control, eventing, playlist
management etc but I think the Sonos system isn't open enough for that.
The other feature people have asked me for is a xAP message being
sent when the Sonos goes into and out of play mode so they can
automatically switch inputs on their amplifier using a xAP to infra red
(or serial) conduit. This way you press play on the screen and it does
just that.

Wilson - interesting let me take a look on the Crestron site re your
app - I have a xAP module for Crestron but am currently aiming to move
it to AMX as Crestron are being such a pain with me currently. I have
tens of thousands of $'s of Crestron kit I'm going to take out of my
home in favour of AMX
Someone is working on the Asterisk xAP conduit

Kevin

www.xapautomation.org

jcmi...@yahoo.com

Aug 15, 2005, 8:26:28 PM8/15/05
to Sonos Development
Wilson,

Does the module use the Crestron to operate any of the functionality of
the Sonos, or is it just control and input for/from the Asterisk.

jcmitch

Wilson J. Chan

Aug 15, 2005, 11:26:33 PM8/15/05
to So...@googlegroups.com
My module doesn't touch the Sonos at all; it tells you the status of
your Asterisk phones. Crestron is supposed to be a member of UPnP. I
wish they would provide a UPnP library.

--wilson

crum...@gmail.com

Aug 17, 2005, 3:07:46 PM8/17/05
to Sonos Development
That'd be a pretty awesome idea.

I recall someone had an alternate way of doing this - if you have a
dodgy 2.4GHz phone (some Panasonic models) they seem to cause
interference with any other 2.4 devices, meaning you get a nice quiet
pause when you get a call :)

jcmi...@yahoo.com

Aug 23, 2005, 4:32:18 PM8/23/05
to Sonos Development
I'm not entirely sure Crestron even has a UPnP library to distrubute if
they wanted to. I do not believe they have integrated the UPnP
protocol into their product. They basically said as much in a recent
email on the topic. If anyone has some good ideas on how to make
Creston and Sonos work together, I'm all ears, its something I
desperately need to make happen.

jcmitch

joelw

Aug 30, 2005, 3:00:15 PM8/30/05
to Sonos Development
This can be done with a very small external gateway device. I'm
looking into building one at the moment.

Joel Winarske - CAIP
Independent Electronics, Inc.

joelw

Aug 30, 2005, 3:22:01 PM8/30/05
to Sonos Development
joelw wrote:
> This can be done with a very small external gateway device. I'm
> looking into building one at the moment.

ok. This didn't take much research :)

I can provide a small device which plugs into the network and provides
communications between a Crestron system and Sonos via Ethernet. On
Crestron side you would drop in an Ethernet Intersystem Communication
symbol, or ActiveCNX symbol.

The question I pose to interested parties:
How do you want to setup IP address and table on Crestron/Sonos
gateway? Via serial port and Crestron Viewport?

jcmi...@yahoo.com

Sep 1, 2005, 8:22:18 AM9/1/05
to Sonos Development
Joel,

Viewport would be fine, web interface would be better. Is this concept
based on a compact flash computer platform as translator, or something
else? Can the task be performed by an off the shelf ethernet gateway
device? How do you expect to handle firmware updates on the Sonos and
Crestron sides?

jcmitch

joelw

Sep 21, 2005, 1:42:47 PM9/21/05
to Sonos Development
My embedded device is seen as a Ethernet Intersystem Comm device to the
Crestron processor, and a UPnP control point to the Sonos. It's simply
a device you add to the network that facilitates communication.

Crestron firmware updates would not affect my device.

The Sonos Zone Player uses standard UPnP profiles, this would not
change between firmware updates.

Programatically variations on supported media types etc is handled with
proper coding.

Joel Winarske, aka joelw or joelw_94089