Boudin and Hush Puppies/Paula Deen Recipe

John Douglas

Mar 22, 2021, 10:43:59 AM3/22/21
to Michael Chester, The official Smoke Ring BBQ list
Mike, that's correct, I did make corn meal from popcorn using the Vitamix special jar. The only problem that I have had with that is you have to sift it 2 or 3 times and it can also be so fine that the CB starts to have the constancy of cake. We have found the best GF store mix is Pamela's . Which brings up another story, not being a baker I did not understand after the virus got going why there was a shortage of flour. Seems like a lot of people started baking and there was a run on flour like toilet paper and paper towels. You could not find Pamela's flour anywhere unless you wanted to pay 40 something bucks a bag. FWIW, I think the best GF flour now is cup4cup.

Now for kinda on topic, although not BBQ it does use pork butt an an ingredent. So a shout out to members in LA. I have tried, but never succeeded on trying to make a decent Boudin. I had a neighbor who occasionally worked in the state and would bring some back........I love it and I do not think if is as fatty as some sausages.  I have looked at a number of videos and recipes, but no success.

John

Michael Chester wrote on 3/21/2021 4:16 PM:

I thought that you ground your own cornmeal in your Vita-Mix. I don't know the exact formula but I am sure that Chef Google can help.

That address mention reminds me of an ad for Corona Beer that I have heard a few times. They just say enjoy Football with Corona. That conjures up a whole different meaning than I am sure they intended. If they said Corona Beer it would be fine but they just said Corona.

Mike

On 3/21/2021 4:43 PM, John Douglas wrote:
I would like some help on this one, my wife cannot eat gluten and if cornmeal is processed in a factory with wheat we can't use it. So I don't know whether self rising cornmeal is GF. OK, my question is what and how much " b soda, powder, etc" should I add to make the corn meal self rising. I'm wanting to make some for her.

TIA,

John

PS: Look at how close Steve's address "@covad.net is to covid.... small world.

Also, anyone know where or what Gary W has been up to?