BBQ Adjacent

Lucy Baker

Sep 14, 2022, 6:31:58 PM9/14/22
to bbq bbq
Hi All, Long time no hear from. I’ve got a 10 lb pork belly curing and will smoke it next week. Butts and brisket are on the list as well.

Question: I’ve been noticing (on tv) people wearing black latex (ish) gloves whilst cooking. Are these by any chance heavier than the “normal” gloves? It seems that whoever is wearing them is able to quickly pick up meat from the grill and plate it or turn it more easily than with other gloves, or is that my imagination? I’d love to find gloves that are very flexible and just a bit thicker.

Thanks, happy cooking
Lucy

Joe Whittel

Sep 14, 2022, 7:04:57 PM9/14/22
to The official Smoke Ring BBQ list
Some folks wear the black or other nitrile over cotton gloves.  The cotton provides the protection from heat. Nitrile keeps the cotton dry and black covers the stains on the cotton gloves. All while being super flexible.

Joe in Connecticut who has gray nitrile gloves over cotton because that is what costco had.

Wanna talk trash instead of barbecue? Go to the Backporch
http://groups.google.com/group/smoke-ring-backporch
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "The Smoke Ring BBQ List" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/smokeringbbq/041DB03E-3444-4CDC-8B10-12841503E1F0%40me.com.

Lucy Baker

Sep 14, 2022, 7:06:42 PM9/14/22
to bbq bbq
Thanks, Joe. That makes sense.
Lucy
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/smokeringbbq/CAL4LOX8QjrZ4%2B4ZSSHb3tiPxcCn0Df2OqQgR7VJKgjLC%3D-bJFA%40mail.gmail.com.

Jon Stine

Sep 14, 2022, 7:18:08 PM9/14/22
to smokeringbbq
I just got this setup. I have silicon mitts that have as much flexibility as a miser's wallet!

Jon

Lucy Baker

Sep 14, 2022, 8:54:25 PM9/14/22
to bbq bbq
Jon, was there supposed to be an attachment?
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/smokeringbbq/CAM-LvkLKwkvz72LFSXuZmbVyWt4%3DbNAnpevYn2Lc4%3DkNX1Vc3A%40mail.gmail.com.

Joe Whittel

Sep 14, 2022, 9:07:55 PM9/14/22
to The official Smoke Ring BBQ list
https://www.amazon.com/Work-Gloves-Cotton-Heavy-Duty/dp/B0732PN8KN/ref=sr_1_2crid=1RHE3H8T1ULE&keywords=jsu+cotton+work+gloves&qid=1663203465&sprefix=jsu+cotton+work+gloves%2Caps%2C282&sr=8-2

These are the ones that I have, They work well.  May need a nitrile glove a size larger than you normally wear

Joe in Connecticut

--
Joe in Connecticut

Lucy Baker

Sep 14, 2022, 9:12:50 PM9/14/22
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Joe.

Sent from my iPhone.

Jon Stine

Sep 14, 2022, 9:15:59 PM9/14/22
to smokeringbbq
Sorry Lucy, I am on vacation, but can get you the info when I get home. The cotton gloves are like Joe showed however.

Jon

Merrill Powers

Sep 15, 2022, 2:00:52 AM9/15/22
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
Hey Lucy,
It depends on the glove. I just looked at my box of black nitrile gloves and they are 5 mil. My box of blue gloves are also 5 mil. I pick stuff up straight from the grill, but just because I’m not too bright! :) Like others, I wear cotton jersey gloves under the nitrile when I need to keep the hands cool.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Sep 14, 2022, at 5:32 PM, 'Lucy Baker' via The Smoke Ring BBQ List <smoker...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>
> Hi All, Long time no hear from. I’ve got a 10 lb pork belly curing and will smoke it next week. Butts and brisket are on the list as well.
>
> Question: I’ve been noticing (on tv) people wearing black latex (ish) gloves whilst cooking. Are these by any chance heavier than the “normal” gloves? It seems that whoever is wearing them is able to quickly pick up meat from the grill and plate it or turn it more easily than with other gloves, or is that my imagination? I’d love to find gloves that are very flexible and just a bit thicker.
>
> Thanks, happy cooking
> Lucy

Lucy Baker

Sep 15, 2022, 2:36:56 AM9/15/22
to bbq bbq
Thanks everyone. I never thought of the cotton glove thing before. Derrrr
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/smokeringbbq/D34E070D-395A-43A5-9A38-33929A1C3DE1%40comcast.net.

Frank Boyer

Sep 16, 2022, 12:47:50 PM9/16/22
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
I use black heat resistant gloves from Grainger.
Frank

Jon Stine

Sep 21, 2022, 12:32:08 PM9/21/22
to smoker...@googlegroups.com

Lucy Baker

Sep 21, 2022, 12:35:54 PM9/21/22
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Jon.  Those are the cotton gloves I bought but thought they were too thick. I almost returned them. I’ll get the x large black gloves and start my cook(s).
Happy upcoming weekend!
Lucy

Sent from my iPhone.