Leaving Chicago

Merrill Powers

May 11, 2021, 4:45:16 PM5/11/21
to SmokeRingBBQ
After 22 years, Nancy and I have been given our marching orders and we will be leaving Chicago at the end of June.  My stay here has been a true BBQ adventure.  Over the years I have developed a love for Chicago style BBQ, learned new and exotic foods with Gary Wiviott, cooked with Bobby Flay, been ambushed by Hoda Kotb, and met some truly amazing pit masters.  I was blessed to meet up with Gary Wiviott my first week on this list and we have had a wonderful friendship all of these years. Some of you have joined us to cook turkeys for the homeless on Thanksgiving and others have helped with our annual Father's Day cook at the Freedom Center. When it comes to sharing talent and resources, there are no better people than those I have met on this list!

We will miss Chicago, but we are on to our next appointment in Wichita, Kansas.  We will be responsible for the Salvation Army operations in Wichita, plus Sedgwick and Butler counties.  While I am a little excited about a new adventure, this move is a wee bit of a change from the 9.5 million Chicago metro to 583,000 total for two counties. Lil' Red is going with me, so the BBQ adventures will continue.  The city command directs 3 corps community centers, a family shelter, a 42 acre summer camp, 3 emergency social service locations and an emergency disaster services unit.  Add on Kettles and Angel Tree at Christmas and it should be enough to stay busy.  I'm told our directors googled me and are already planning how they can get me cooking!!!

I don't post as often since life got busy, but I do read and enjoy the occasional discussion.  Once we are in Wichita and have new email addresses, I will definitely be signing back on.

Best,

Merrill

spe...@knology.net

May 11, 2021, 4:47:25 PM5/11/21
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
good luck and godspeed.

spence
Wanna talk trash instead of barbecue? Go to the Backporch
http://groups.google.com/group/smoke-ring-backporch
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "The Smoke Ring BBQ List" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/smokeringbbq/706093921.436482.1620765913828%40connect.xfinity.com.

James McCabe

May 11, 2021, 4:49:52 PM5/11/21
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
Good luck Merrill. Have always enjoyed your discussions. Keep up the good work. You’re the best.

Jim

Wanna talk trash instead of barbecue? Go to the Backporch
http://groups.google.com/group/smoke-ring-backporch
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "The Smoke Ring BBQ List" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/smokeringbbq/706093921.436482.1620765913828%40connect.xfinity.com.

James McCabe
Support Independent Retail!

Lucy Baker

May 11, 2021, 5:11:09 PM5/11/21
to bbq bbq
The best of luck in your new adventure. Wichita is very lucky to have you.

Lucy
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/smokeringbbq/668EC1F5-9736-497D-8502-68E3FB17007C%40videovault.com.

Jon Stine

May 11, 2021, 5:35:41 PM5/11/21
to smokeringbbq
Safe travels, and good luck with the Merrilltude!

Jon

Rory Remenak

May 11, 2021, 6:00:00 PM5/11/21
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
Sounds like a step up to me! Glad you'll be hanging around here still. I'm sure God has some exciting new adventures ahead for you and some more incredible people to meet. Keep us updated!

Sleepybozo (aka Rory)

--
They laughed at Newton, they laughed at Einstein; but then , they also laughed at Bozo...

JOHN KNOLL

May 11, 2021, 6:26:03 PM5/11/21
to smoker...@googlegroups.com

Chicago will certainly miss you guys, but you and your Merriltude of smokers will be closer to me now (I'm in Topeka), so maybe I will get to eat some of your cooking. Best of luck in your new assignment, and welcome back to Kansas!

Kevin Cleek

Gerry Curry

May 12, 2021, 5:39:49 AM5/12/21
to BBQ List List
All the best Merrill! I look forward to hearing about your new adventures!

Robert King

May 12, 2021, 9:03:14 AM5/12/21
to The Smoke Ring
Good luck on your new adventure Merrill!

I heard steel prices are going down in the Chicago area as you reduced your heard :)

Robert King

James Stewart

May 17, 2021, 9:21:35 PM5/17/21
to smoker...@googlegroups.com

Wow what a big move. Our prayers are with you on this new outreach God has big plans for you!

Pigmanjim