Andouille Recipe

Kevin Cleek

Jan 30, 2021, 4:52:39 PM1/30/21
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
Hello to anyone who is still alive and kicking.  I have a request from a
professional European-trained specialty butcher/charcuterie guy.  He's
looking for an authentic Andouille recipe.  Does anyone have a classic?

Thanks.

Kevin

Mike Chester

Jan 30, 2021, 5:17:36 PM1/30/21
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
I have attached one from Len Poli. I haven’t tried it but his recipes are always very good.

Mike
Andouille.pdf

Kevin Cleek

Jan 30, 2021, 6:40:11 PM1/30/21
to smoker...@googlegroups.com

Thanks.  Poli and Marianski are possibilities.  I was looking for something some list member could vouch for as a winner.

Kevin

Robert King

Jan 31, 2021, 12:04:01 AM1/31/21
to The Smoke Ring
I’m hesitant to share because I don’t remember if I made this or not. I think it’s close to Jacob’s which I was trying to replicate:

I remember Len Poli’s but looked like too many ingredients to me and remember passing on using that one. The problem is you see andouille everywhere and most aren’t correct or even decent.

Robert King

Andouille (Cajun Sausage)

Recipe By: Chef John Folse
Serving Size: 8

Ingredients:

5 lbs. pork butt
1/2 lb. pork fat
1/2 cup chopped garlic
1/4 cup cracked black pepper
2 tablespoons cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon dry thyme
4 tablespoons salt
6 feet beef middle casing (from
butcher)

Directions:

Cube pork butt into one and a half inch cubes. Using a meat grinder with four one quarter inch holes in the grinding plate, grind pork and pork fat. If you do not have a grinding plate this size, I suggest hand cutting pork butt into one quarter inch square pieces.
Place ground pork in large mixing bowl and blend in all remaining ingredients. Once well blended, stuff meat into casings in one foot links, using the sausage attachement on your meat grinder. Tie both ends of the sausage securely using a heavy gauge twine.
In your homestyle smoker, smoke andouille at 175-200 degrees F for approximately four to five hours using pecan or hickory wood. The andouille may then be frozen and used for seasoning gumbos, white or red beans, pastas or grilling as an hors d'oeuvre.

Notes:

NOTES : Andouille is the Cajun smoked sausage so famous nationally today. Made with pork butt, shank and a small amount of pork fat, this sausage is seasoned with salt, cracked black pepper and garlic. The andouille is then slowly smoked over pecan wood and sugar cane. True andouille is stuffed into the beef middle casing which makes the sausage approximately one and a half inches in diameter. When smoked, it becomes very dark to almost black in color. It is not uncommon for the Cajuns to smoke andouille for seven to eight hours at approximately 175 degrees.Traditionally, the andouilles from France were made from the large intestines and stomach of the pig, seasoned heavily and smoked. In parts of Germany, where some say andouille originated, the sausage was made with all remaining intestines and casings pulled through a larger casing, seasoned and smoked. It was served thinly sliced as an hors d'oeuvre.

Kevin Cleek

Jan 31, 2021, 1:35:00 AM1/31/21
to smoker...@googlegroups.com

Thanks, Robert!  Anyone else have one?  I'll pass it on to Vancouver, Canada.

Kevin

Frank Boyer

Jan 31, 2021, 3:54:20 AM1/31/21
to smoker...@googlegroups.com

Len Poli’s stuff always works.  He is very careful about testing everything on his site. About fifteen years ago I had the good fortune of going to “sausage making parties” with Len and Bruce Aidells. Len taught science at a high school that I went to. Len is part of the Columbus Salami family from San Francisco.

Frank

Wanna talk trash instead of barbecue? Go to the Backporch
http://groups.google.com/group/smoke-ring-backporch
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "The Smoke Ring BBQ List" group.

Robert King

Jan 31, 2021, 10:08:01 AM1/31/21
to The Smoke Ring
Oh I know his stuff is. Made many of recipes from his site over the years and always go there when looking for a recipe. I just don’t think his version of andouille is what I think andouille is. I’m sure it’s very good though.

Now find a recipe for Elgin sausage! THAT is more top secret than anything at the pentagon!

Robert King

Kevin Cleek

Jan 31, 2021, 2:06:10 PM1/31/21
to smoker...@googlegroups.com

I've never met Len, though I had a couple emails years and years ago.  He's still up in Sonoma, I suspect?

I've moved into charcuterie these days.  Having lots of fun.  I just got my first Iberico money muscle (coppa) finished after 8 months.  Now it will mature under refrigerated vacuum for about 10 months.  Have most of the smokering gang migrated to another list or FB group?  I miss you guys.

Kevin

Iberico Coppa 308 - 20210125_151018_resized.jpg

spe...@knology.net

Jan 31, 2021, 2:28:13 PM1/31/21
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
I'm still here listening and learning.

not much traffic though.

spence

Joe Whittel

Jan 31, 2021, 4:58:06 PM1/31/21
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
I am still here as well.  Thinking about smoking some sausage and peppers,  and the fact the sun is setting and below 20....

Joe in Connecticut

Gerry Curry

Feb 1, 2021, 9:18:58 AM2/1/21
to BBQ List List
I’m still here too, but it’s exceedingly quiet these days.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/smokeringbbq/5d2815b9-802b-79c5-0d33-19fc192c05f4%40earthlink.net.
<Iberico Coppa  308 - 20210125_151018_resized.jpg>