nummy nummy

Sherman Watkins

Mar 18, 2021, 6:57:18 PM3/18/21
to smokeringbbq

Plant-based barbecue producer Barveque will expand its footprint and employee base in Cornelius, in the Lake Norman region near Charlotte, with what it’s calling “the world’s largest plant-based smokehouse.” How’s that for a new kind of pig pickin’?

The company disclosed the news earlier this week.

The approximately 10,000 square foot facility, to be named the Carolina Smokehouse, will open in July 2021, said the company. It plans to continue operating in its current facility that will eventually be turned into innovation space.

The company anticipates that it could produce 800,000 pounds of Barveque products as it scales up to meet surging demand.

“As we grow to keep up with demand for Barvecue products, we decided that it was time to expand production and lead the way in the plant-based barbecue market,” said Barveque founder and CEO Lee Cooper.

--
Sherm
Smoking in Montana's Banana Belt

Kevin Cleek

Mar 18, 2021, 11:51:09 PM3/18/21
to smoker...@googlegroups.com

So, it's like grilled vegetables?

Kevin

Wanna talk trash instead of barbecue? Go to the Backporch
http://groups.google.com/group/smoke-ring-backporch
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "The Smoke Ring BBQ List" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/smokeringbbq/CAHOBE5ZGLr_MhtXAD0DBrWSxHWjd5iLejdDtL--UccsFFLgO%2Bw%40mail.gmail.com.

Avast logo

Gerry Curry

Mar 19, 2021, 8:15:14 AM3/19/21
to BBQ List List
Ask me if I give a damn!

kyelats

Mar 19, 2021, 9:18:26 AM3/19/21
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
I live in Charlotte. What an insult to North Carolina, the heart of barbeque, but to barbecue everywhere.

John Douglas

Mar 19, 2021, 10:19:23 AM3/19/21
to 'kyelats' via The Smoke Ring BBQ List

Michael Morse

Mar 19, 2021, 4:23:20 PM3/19/21
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
I live in western nc in franklin, they can keep the veggie bbq in the triangle with all the people that have moved from blue states that want to impose their values on us.

Mar 19, 2021, 8:55:19 PM3/19/21
to smoker...@googlegroups.com

Lol. Is there still a back porch?

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Kevin Cleek

Mar 19, 2021, 9:00:30 PM3/19/21
to smoker...@googlegroups.com

If not, we obviously need it resurrected.

Kevin

Gerry Curry

Mar 20, 2021, 7:05:55 AM3/20/21
to BBQ List List

Michael Chester

Mar 20, 2021, 9:47:09 AM3/20/21
to 'Gerry Curry' via The Smoke Ring BBQ List

Me too.  I like reading about food and eating it partially because it is an escape from the ever-present politics that seems to infect most areas of our current lives. What someone prefers to eat has very little to do with their political beliefs. Remember that Hitler was a vegetarian and he was about as far as one can get from a left winger.

To get back on topic, last Saturday I smoked a brisket for a friend's birthday. I haven't done one in awhile as it is way too much for just my wife and me. This is true for most BBQ; I still love it but it is too rich for our old innards and we can only eat a small amount. Even one rack of ribs is too much. Anyway the brisket was near perfect, one of the best I have done. I smoked it in my FEC pellet cooker using mixed hardwood pellets and with a smoker box filled with mesquite and pecan pellets. This gave it just enough extra smoke to taste perfect. I smoked it to 165 then transferred it to a covered pan added a cup of beef broth and braised it to 205 degrees. It was perfectly tender but short of the 'meat jello' stage.

This list is too quiet. I miss some of our old discussions. I know that we have lost some of most vocal members and they were a big part of our discussions.

Mike Chester

John Douglas

Mar 21, 2021, 11:55:09 AM3/21/21
to 'Gerry Curry' via The Smoke Ring BBQ List
Since there are very few, if any posts on this list anymore, I thought the original post was done in fun and I added a post that happened to just come that matched it. If this is a "violation" of a list that is essentially dead I will be happy to "give up the ghost" and leave it to the "purist's."

john
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/smokeringbbq/D5A1C5FA-E368-4BF4-857B-62ADA8B171D2%40mac.com.

Best Regards,

John D

Michael Chester

Mar 21, 2021, 1:18:47 PM3/21/21
to Barbecue Ring

John,

I don't believe that the comment was directed at you. It appeared that you had posted the link to an article and an anonymous list member posted the comment to your post. The reaction was to his post which I perceived as from another list member who would not sign the post is what I reacted to.

I tried to start a new thread by talking about a brisket, but no one answered. I miss some of the spirited BBQ discussions that we us

spe...@knology.net

Mar 21, 2021, 1:24:35 PM3/21/21
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
I have enjoyed this list and would love to see it revived!

Who's up for that?

spence

Michael Chester

Mar 21, 2021, 1:29:00 PM3/21/21
to Barbecue Ring

For some unknown reason, only half of my previous message was sent. That last sentence should have ended "used to have."  Unfortunately we lost several of our most vocal members and many others have retreated into their own worlds. There are several reasons which include the virus, the fact that toxic politics seems to have invaded all aspects of our lives, and an irrational fear that something said might be misinterpreted.

As to meat "replacements," I have tasted a few and they were OK but really did not taste like meat to me. There are economic, social, ethical, environmental, and health reasons to reduce our consumption of meat but I am an old guy who has eaten this way for over 70 years and I am healthy and too stubborn to change now.

Mike Chester

Kevin Cleek

Mar 21, 2021, 1:56:04 PM3/21/21
to smoker...@googlegroups.com

I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium and I find it far superior to Apple's OS.

That used to be good for a few day's worth of discussion.

Kevin

Sherman Watkins

Mar 21, 2021, 2:06:51 PM3/21/21
to smokeringbbq
But do you have a breadfruit in the room with and are you drinking Dr Pepper or just marinading with it?

John Douglas

Mar 21, 2021, 2:22:10 PM3/21/21
to The official Smoke Ring BBQ list
thanks Mike,

Some days I have an abundance of patience and others a trigger finger. I'm afraid today was the finger.  There is no doubt that the toxic politics and the pandemic have caused issues.

I have wondered how you and yours are doing... the road to hell and good intentions you know..... :) I hope all is fine.

Are you still on Bill's list?

 I understand the limits of eating BBQ, in fact brisket is about the only thing I still like and it has gotten so damn expensive that we just buy a pound from a joint that does a pretty good job. Your description of cooking the brisket by braising, etc sounds interesting, I would like to know more about that technique. Please give the details.

After saying that I don't do too much smoking anymore, last year I bought a Traeger 575 Pro and really like the ease of using it..........it is on the deck just outside the back door, fighting temps, etc has lost it's appeal, but I still have the EL Green Egg on the deck of the storage building that is not far, but it is downhill.  It is for long cooks like pork butt and ribs, etc.  Jana loves Pulled Pork and I freeze and vacuum pack the rest to give to friends.  At least the price has come down to around 1.18 a pound.

Best,

John
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/smokeringbbq/404136f3-9342-128e-6376-3d64a7253a7e%40charter.net.

Best Regards,

John D

Michael Chester

Mar 21, 2021, 2:46:27 PM3/21/21
to Barbecue Ring

I understand and some of us may deserve the finger. One of the problems with social media, like email or Twitter is what I call "typewriter (or Twitter) Tourettes," where you type anything that pops into you mind without filtering it.

I am still on Bill's list though that also has been slow since Bill's death.

The braising is essentially the same as foil wrapping the meat after it has taken most of the smoke it can. I put the meat in a pan add a small amount of (usually broth) cover and continue to cook to the end temperature. This can be done in the smoker or it can be moved into an oven since it is not getting any smoke at this point anyway. This keeps the meat from drying out and the juice that collects in the pan can be used as a jus over the meat. The downside of this technique is that the bark is not as crispy. This is more of a problem with pork butts than brisket as by 160-165 it has developed some good bark.

By the way, I live 10 miles from Hell and I can state as a fact that the road to Hell is paved with asphalt. Another interesting fact is that the road to Hell is Darwin Rd. So, in this one case, those that say if you follow Darwin, you will go to Hell are correct. It is primarily a farm community but they do a thriving business having winter weddings for those who have said, "It will be a cold day in Hell when I get married." It also freezes over every winter. I am not making these up; they are true.

Mike

Joe Whittel

Mar 21, 2021, 3:13:26 PM3/21/21
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
I am in.  This list is how I really  got into BBQ after getting a charbroil Big Easy grill / smoker combo 20 years ago.  Connected  with Nancee and Greg, went to my 1st contest, introduced to a WSM and we won GC.  Cooked with Purple Turtle for several years, where we cooked The Jack and got called. Over the years have meet several from list in person (Garry,Big Jim, Steve Martin, Bob & Ginger, Buzz ......) and several online.  Always learning and hoping to pass any knowledge on.

Let's keep the list going.

Joe in Connecticut

Kevin Cleek

Mar 21, 2021, 4:13:33 PM3/21/21
to smoker...@googlegroups.com

I'm not BBQing much at all, but the electric LazyQ still works for smoking, which is what I primarily got it for.  Now I'm doing cured and dried products, mostly.  A good piece of meat can take 12-18 months or more, so it makes BBQ look like fast food.  Here's some "money muscle" from the butt of Iberico pigs raised on pasture.  It took about 7 months for them to get to this point, and I plan on keeping them maturing until about Christmas.

Kevin

Iberico Coppa, 312, 313 - 20210201_153016_resized.jpg

Sherman Watkins

Mar 21, 2021, 4:17:25 PM3/21/21
to smokeringbbq
Where do you have conditions to cure meat that long? My basement would need a basement to pull that off.

John Douglas

Mar 21, 2021, 4:18:31 PM3/21/21
to Michael Chester, The official Smoke Ring BBQ list
Mike,

NO NO NO, I did not mean that finger....... :) I was referring to a trigger finger meaning sometimes I write, and send, messages that would have been well enough left alone. The proverbial bad day snipe for no good reason....

In reference to "road to hell" stories, we have two towns in Okla named Maude and bow legs and yes, you got it.........you can't get to Maude without going through bow legs.........

John
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/smokeringbbq/1db8732b-6d8a-9c93-134a-ee7feb63d7e4%40charter.net.

Best Regards,

John D

John Douglas

Mar 21, 2021, 4:28:09 PM3/21/21
to Joe Whittel, The official Smoke Ring BBQ list
Hi Joe,

Really nice to hear from you, unfortunately there are a lot of us that are no longer here or anywhere.

I, also, have met a lot of people on the list, most of the ones you mentioned, have you been to any of the Q-fests?

I am interested in chatting with anyone using a Traeger, while the one I have is small it is all we need. I use the Smoke to keep up with the temps on it and they vary quite a bit some time. I called Traeger and they said a 30 degree variance was normal........WHAT!!!!

BTW, IT SEEMS i have to add the Smoke ring address or it looks like the message is only going to the sender and not the list. Is that correct?

John

kyelats

Mar 21, 2021, 4:49:59 PM3/21/21
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
I certainly would. I miss all of the old gang. Didn't think it had died, just maybe taking a looking nap

Ken in NC

Kevin Cleek

Mar 21, 2021, 4:53:51 PM3/21/21
to smoker...@googlegroups.com

Technology has come a long ways.  Get a freezer, refrigerator or beverage cooler, electronic controllers for temperature and humidity, hook them up with small dehumidifier and humidifier, a Bluetooth data logger and you've got a "cellar."  When the meat is finished drying 3-6 months down the road, it's vacuum sealed and refrigerated to allow enzyme action to continue to mature the flavor, like fine wines improve with age.  I made a little beverage cooler into a box that can hold about 40 pounds.  My setup was about $200 all in.

Kevin

Chamber Loaded 20kg - 20191209_223114_resized.jpg

bet...@rochester.rr.com

Mar 21, 2021, 5:06:07 PM3/21/21
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
I love this list! I’m a rookie smoker and I learn a lot and enjoy the discussions. I hope we hang in there...

On Mar 21, 2021, at 4:50 PM, 'kyelats' via The Smoke Ring BBQ List <smoker...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

I certainly would. I miss all of the old gang. Didn't think it had died, just maybe taking a looking nap

Gerry Curry

Mar 21, 2021, 9:26:30 PM3/21/21
to BBQ List List
DON’T get me started!!! Bill may be gone but I’ve got lots of life left in me!!! 😜

Joe Whittel

Mar 21, 2021, 9:45:53 PM3/21/21
to John Douglas, The official Smoke Ring BBQ list
John -  agree we have lost some great folks willing to share.

Unfortunately, I never made it to a Q Fest,  or a head to hoof.  I met most folks at BBQ comps,  most at 2007 Jsck Daniels.

I don't have a Treager,  WSM and Red Box for charcoal.  Landmann propane.

For replies, I just reply to all.

Joe in Connecticut

James Stewart

Mar 21, 2021, 10:36:02 PM3/21/21
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
I read the posts, and there are few anymore.  I love to cook bbq once in a while, but not like I used too.  It's more of a once in a while hobby. But with my wife and I,  I find it a lot of work/time for the two of us.

I have more enjoyment working on bbq smokers.  I'm not a good welder but I can work on a project for a time then stop to do something else, then go back as time permits.

Last week we were in Huntsville, Al . My son and his family came up and we were adding fireboxes to the grills I took up for each of my son in law's.  I took the grills up several years ago. They are each about 3 ft diameter and 4 ft long on trailers. Now the son in law's( I have two of them) want to start offset smoking, so we tried to make the grills have the option of either direct or offset.

  Now for cooking, I did cook some butts, back in Sept 2020, for my wife' s school, but nothing more than a couple butts and a few chicken pieces since.

Pigmanjim