I must be in a gadget mode.......knife sharpener.....etc

John Douglas

Apr 17, 2021, 2:29:40 PM4/17/21
to The official Smoke Ring BBQ list
I really need to get a life. .·. any thoughts on this sharpener:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CW4T6RS/?tag=serieats-20&th=1

It has 8,637 comments on Amazon.

Best Regards,

John D

Kevin Cleek

Apr 17, 2021, 2:52:39 PM4/17/21
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
I've heard good things, but my little Acu-Sharp seems to do pretty well
for just a few bucks.

Kevin

Merrill

Apr 17, 2021, 3:30:52 PM4/17/21
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
John,
I have a love/hate relationship with mine. Refurbing old and really dull blades, love! Learning curve, swapping belts and cost of consumables, hate!

To be honest, I use a Smith’s diamond tri-hone for most sharpening and only pull out the WS for tough jobs. My dad in law could perfectly shape a blade on a bench grinder, but I’m not so talented.

Merrill
Sent from my iPhone

> On Apr 17, 2021, at 1:29 PM, John Douglas <JohnD...@cox.net> wrote:
>
> I really need to get a life. .·. any thoughts on this sharpener:

Sherman Watkins

Apr 17, 2021, 3:33:24 PM4/17/21
to smokeringbbq
I've heard that belt flex can sometimes make holding a constant angle problematic.
My main problem with many sharpeners is that you've got to get them out, set them up, use them, break them down, put them away. Most of the time one dull blade stays dull because it's not worth the trouble.
I keep this on the counter next to the knives and they are usually scary sharp.

Wanna talk trash instead of barbecue? Go to the Backporch
http://groups.google.com/group/smoke-ring-backporch
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "The Smoke Ring BBQ List" group.

Sherm
Smoking in Montana's Banana Belt
W7STW

Merrill

Apr 17, 2021, 3:47:22 PM4/17/21
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
Half way to a competition in Wisconsin, I realized I forgot to sharpen my knives. Stopped at an Ace and picked up an AccuSharp. Best 8 bucks I ever spent!

Merrill
Sent from my iPhone

> On Apr 17, 2021, at 1:52 PM, Kevin Cleek <kjc...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> I've heard good things, but my little Acu-Sharp seems to do pretty well for just a few bucks.

Merrill

Apr 18, 2021, 12:51:38 AM4/18/21
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
Sherm...belt flex can be an issue, but it’s conquerable with practice. As I mentioned, it has a learning curve.

I’ve always wondered how well the Spyderco work. Glad to hear from someone who likes it.

Merrill
Sent from my iPhone

Frank Boyer

Apr 18, 2021, 10:06:00 AM4/18/21
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
I have one and love it.
Frank

Robert King

May 1, 2021, 9:05:33 AM5/1/21
to The Smoke Ring
Well my normal electric sharpener is in the abyss in storage somewhere so ordered one of these as I remember everybody saying they were good. I’m actually cooking a brisket this morning as we have family coming over. Oh yeah this is a 17lb brisket I got for $24…..Anyway…..

Knife sharpener works great! Cutting several lbs of fat off with my filet knife managed to slice my finger. Perfect cut! I highly recommend this gadget! Just drink your coffee first before using.

Robert King

Kevin Cleek

May 1, 2021, 12:08:21 PM5/1/21
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
Sorry to hear about your finger.  I've been using the Accusharp for over
20 years and I've been pretty happy with it.  I came across this video
about a year ago and I was pleasantly surprised.

The guy who does these videos seems to put a lot of thought into how
he's going to perform his tests and he's pretty thorough in setting up
fair means of comparison.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBINMUdlJ14&t=617s

Kevin

Robert King

May 1, 2021, 3:11:23 PM5/1/21
to The Smoke Ring
Oh I love it already. Just sits in the knife drawer easy to grab and sharpen real quick. Does a great job. Guess I wasn’t used to having sharp kitchen knives at 4am :)

Robert King
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/smokeringbbq/82b7ffad-f810-11a4-5cae-0d846ea548a4%40earthlink.net.

Jon Stine

May 1, 2021, 7:43:42 PM5/1/21
to smokeringbbq
What Robert said. The Accusharp is giving me a new set of knives. I appreciate the tip!

Jon

John Douglas

May 2, 2021, 9:20:28 AM5/2/21
to Kevin Cleek, The official Smoke Ring BBQ list
Thanks Kevin,

That video was very informative.

john
Best Regards,

John D

Drew

May 5, 2021, 12:55:08 PM5/5/21
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
The guy who does these videos seems to put a lot of thought into how
he's going to perform his tests and he's pretty thorough in setting up
fair means of comparison.

That guy at Project Farm has great reviewing videos, I don't hardly buy a tool, or grease, or tape without making sure I've watched his video.

RE: Sharpening, I use a Spyderco Sharpmaker and it is great for knives, scissors, chisels, hatchets and axes, nearly anything with a blade.

I also bought a set of 1" x 30" belts for my little harbor freight belt sander, including a strop. Those are great for reprofiling or working on tough knives and the strop can get the blade so sharp. The impetus for getting these belts was that I found a bunch of older, probably 60's or 70's vintage but some from 20 or 30 years ago too), Sabatier forged knives at a flea market for $2 each, so I bought all they had and went to work with the belt sander. I love having these knives in my kitchen now, they are heavy, but balanced and very sharp. However, most of them being carbon steel, I can't let my wife use them because she insists on putting them in the dishwasher or not ensuring that they aren't kept wet and letting them rust.

Got 2 butts and 2 picnics to put on my very worn out WSM this weekend, hoping to get a 22.5" WSM this year, but might kick the can down the road some more.

Lucy Baker

May 5, 2021, 2:26:40 PM5/5/21
to bbq bbq
Drew, I thought it was YOUR job to put the knives in the dishwasher or jammed into a drawer with hammers!!

To keep this on topic, I just got the AccuSharp knife sharpener. I’m looking forward to playing with it.

Lucy