Hello from Wichita

Merrill Powers

Sep 6, 2021, 7:52:19 PM9/6/21
to Smoke
Hey all…getting settled in and enjoying the new city and job. A little trouble with the lack of good charcoal, so I might be loading up on my monthly trip to KC. Cooked for 200 at an outdoor event last week and Royal Oak was the best I could find in lump. Smelled like a recent house fire before it was even lit. Fought it for 12 hours and got it done. Temped to switch over to gas, but my pride kicked in! :)

Miss hearing from everyone! The list wouldn’t subscribe my new email, so hope this goes through.

Merrill

Sent from my iPhone

Sherman Watkins

Sep 6, 2021, 7:59:23 PM9/6/21
to smokeringbbq
Not pride. Standards.

Wanna talk trash instead of barbecue? Go to the Backporch
http://groups.google.com/group/smoke-ring-backporch
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "The Smoke Ring BBQ List" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/smokeringbbq/3D22CD4D-D643-48A7-8CC7-45736DAA15B4%40comcast.net.

Lucy Baker

Sep 6, 2021, 8:15:37 PM9/6/21
to bbq bbq
What Sherm said! Your standards are your soul.

I should know this by now, but what is your preferred lump? I thought Royal Oak was a good one. eek

Lucy
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/smokeringbbq/CAHOBE5b7J3MvvhnEhqktg0eEiuF9%3D6RBtBPKTnGtNAC9bGnMZg%40mail.gmail.com.

Rory Remenak

Sep 6, 2021, 9:45:20 PM9/6/21
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
Good to hear from you and that you are doing well. Good luck with the charcoal situation. Has the collection grown any?

Rory (aka bozo)

--
They laughed at Newton, they laughed at Einstein; but then , they also laughed at Bozo...

Merrill Powers

Sep 6, 2021, 11:08:12 PM9/6/21
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
Lucy and Sherm,
Full disclosure, 2 of three cookers on my Alveron trailer are gas/wood. Wood is took expensive in Chicago when your cooking for 600 people. Sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do!

I have used RO for years, but I’ve had trouble with the green bag RO. I thought the first time was a fluke with damp charcoal, but it happened again. My preference for years has been Chef’s Best. (A RO product)

Merrill

Sent from my iPhone

> On Sep 6, 2021, at 7:15 PM, 'Lucy Baker' via The Smoke Ring BBQ List <smoker...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>
> What Sherm said! Your standards are your soul.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/smokeringbbq/37118C12-1BA8-4109-B5FB-56AEA9136276%40me.com.

spe...@knology.net

Sep 7, 2021, 8:15:52 AM9/7/21
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
Glad you made it there OK

spence

Robert King

Sep 7, 2021, 9:23:50 AM9/7/21
to The Smoke Ring
I’ve had good luck with the RO red bag lump here. But that usually requires a trip to Walmart for me and I don’t want to be featured on a people of Walmart website so have been using mostly briquettes lately when my bag ran out.

Never seen a green bag here though. Green bag must cause cancer in CA so it’s banned I’m guessing.

Glad you made it ok and are getting back to “normal”.

Lucy, have you looked at that BBQland place on Spring st. and Palo Verde? I went there a while back and they had all kinds of rubs and sauces. Think they had charcoal too but wasn’t in there long as I was in a hurry. They even had gallons of Blues Hog, Phil’s Pork Mafia rub etc.

Robert King

James Stewart

Sep 7, 2021, 9:33:48 AM9/7/21
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
Hope all is well in yer new place.  No reason to go to Chicago, you are gone, bro in law moved, I saw the pier.

Refresh my short mind, where are you now?????

Pigmanjim

Lucy Baker

Sep 7, 2021, 1:23:38 PM9/7/21
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
Robert!  Thanks for the tip on BQland. I’ll be up there today!
Lucy

Sent from my iPhone.

spe...@knology.net

Apr 30, 2022, 10:07:03 PM4/30/22
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
saw where Wichita had a Tornado.

Are you and your family OK

spence

Merrill Powers

Apr 30, 2022, 11:11:17 PM4/30/22
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
Hey Spence,
We’re OK. We live on the west side, and the tornado hit Andover on the east side. Our disaster service teams have been on site since 10:00 last night, but Nancy and I are stuck home after picking up COVID. They are doing the hard work while we coordinate from my couch. Really hard to stay home.

Thanks for checking in!

Merrill
Sent from my iPhone

> On Apr 30, 2022, at 9:07 PM, spe...@knology.net wrote:
>
> saw where Wichita had a Tornado.
>
> Are you and your family OK
>
> spence

Gerry Curry

May 15, 2022, 8:49:12 AM5/15/22
to BBQ List List

Bill would be SO proud!!

Frank Boyer

Jon Stine

May 15, 2022, 9:54:12 AM5/15/22
to smokeringbbq
Fantastic! Bill's legacy lives on!

On Sun, May 15, 2022, 5:49 AM 'Gerry Curry' via The Smoke Ring BBQ List <smoker...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Bill would be SO proud!!

Wanna talk trash instead of barbecue? Go to the Backporch
http://groups.google.com/group/smoke-ring-backporch
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "The Smoke Ring BBQ List" group.
280926779_10159940282585758_2467422310399350942_n.jpg

Lucy Baker

May 15, 2022, 9:56:01 AM5/15/22
to bbq bbq
What an honor! Does anyone have any details? Who did this? Who competed? Who won?
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/smokeringbbq/CAM-LvkKpjpeF%2B3Q%2BY7LEzfZ3zuON%2BBPsmCK_J4pZMgJJb%3Di9EA%40mail.gmail.com.
> <280926779_10159940282585758_2467422310399350942_n.jpg><280926779_10159940282585758_2467422310399350942_n.jpg>

Lucy Baker

May 15, 2022, 9:58:18 AM5/15/22
to bbq bbq
OOPS, never mind. I haven’t had coffee yet.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/smokeringbbq/466102F2-C4F7-4A17-83A4-429FF02804E1%40me.com.

Frank Boyer

May 15, 2022, 11:13:41 AM5/15/22
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
Memphis in May BBQ Champions 2022. Congratulations!!!
RIbs- Heath Riles BBQ
Shoulder- Sweet Swine O Mine
Mark Lambert
Whole Hog and overall Grand Championship- Blues Hog

Frank Boyer

May 25, 2022, 2:40:50 PM5/25/22
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
A friend is going to Green Bay for five days and then Chicago. She is looking for excellent seafood and vegetable places. Any Ideas?
THANKS IN ADVANCE
Frank