Remote screen not working on non-rooted GS3

robert....@gmail.com

Apr 12, 2013, 3:44:03 PM4/12/13
to SmartDo...@googlegroups.com
I'm trying to view the screen of my non-rooted GS3 remotely from the PC. The description of this product claims it can do that. From the DroidTop screen, I don't see that option; only RemoteControl (which requires root) and Screenshot -- so I just made a guess that Screenshot was what I wanted.

I followed the instructions for non-rooted devices and ran into two problems, one of which I could not work around.

The first problem is that the install_capture_service.bat file tries to copy the capture_service to the phone directory /data/local but this directory does not exist on my GS3 (ATT with Android 4.1.1). Furthermore, I could not create that directory using adb shell because it is part of a read-only filesystem.

So, instead, I worked around this problem by changing the BAT file to use the directory /mnt/sdcard/Download which is writable. However, the next thing the BAT file tries to do is chmod 777 the file. Unfortunately, this fails on my phone with the error:
Unable to chmod capture_service: Operation not permitted

It would seem it is not possible to remotely view the phone screen on the GS3 with this utility.

Or could you take the capture_service and turn it into an App that could be installed via the Play store instead? Or incorporate it into the AndroidDesktop app?

alexa...@gmail.com

Apr 16, 2013, 8:26:59 AM4/16/13
to SmartDo...@googlegroups.com, robert....@gmail.com

Even if you get that working it wont let you view the screen of your phone, it only lets you take a single screen shot.

However as you have found out, capture_service cannot be installed on Android 4.1.1, at least not using the instructions given.

John Huang

Apr 16, 2013, 8:31:13 AM4/16/13
to SmartDo...@googlegroups.com
Such functions like remote control, screenshot, usually exist compatible issue, it may not work on some devices. I just try to provide one more solution for it.

Thanks,
John