Disease, Bats, Xenophobia and an Inexplicable Discount

Rob Dunn

Jul 17, 2012, 11:22:28 PM7/17/12
to Smallthing...@googlegroups.com
Hi friends,

Just a quick note to let you know about three new stories...

The first is a blog post at Scientific American about whether bats are
a possible model for understanding the evolution of human
xenophobia... (http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/guest-blog/2012/07/12/do-wild-bats-hold-the-key-to-understanding-human-tribal-behavior/)

The second, also at Scientific American, considers the challenges of
getting kids outdoors to experience nature...
(http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/guest-blog/2012/07/09/the-future-is-the-place-where-the-rivers-all-sound-like-washing-machines/)

The third is a review of a new book about our biological clocks in
Wilson Quarterly ...
(http://www.wilsonquarterly.com/article.cfm?AID=2193)

I'll also be continuing my series on the evolutionary relationship
between humans, yeast and beer and wine, so stay tuned here
(http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/guest-blog/2012/02/22/a-science-miniseries-the-big-story-of-alcohol-civilization-and-a-little-fungus/).

Finally, in case you are interested, Harper Collins is having a one
week "summer scinece" promotion of The Wild LIfe of Our Bodies during
which
the kindle edition of the book is just $1.99. That is a lot of words
per penny, although I am the first to admit that some of them are
quite short.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Wild-Life-Bodies-ebook/dp/B004MMEIHS/?tag=arcadata-20

I hope you are all well.

Kindest regards,

Rob

--

Rob R. Dunn, Associate Professor, Department of Biology
North Carolina State University, www.robdunnlab.com, www.robrdunn.com