SkateDC Weekend - October 9 - 12 (yes, really!)

Maureen Cohen Harrington

Sep 30, 2020, 11:43:34 PM9/30/20
to Skate DC, SkateDcOld, SQSpeedTeam, DC Inner City Excellence, Malik Lloyd, Peaceskate
Greetings, skaters!
Our rescheduled SkateDC Weekend 2020 is on, October 9 - 12! Albeit, in a low-key way. No event hotel. No social events beyond the skates.
Because of evolving travel and quarantine requirements, this event will be primarily for our growing number of locals. Masks required. Please respect each other's space.
Within those limits, let's make the most of the holiday weekend and the fall weather! Four days with friends on wheels -- including quad skates, skateboards, and bikes. Two of our skates feature DC-ICE, a year-round skating-based youth development program that unites urban skaters of all backgrounds in the pursuit of excellence in body, mind, and spirit. Another skate features the quad skate group CIB.
All skates will begin and end at Freedom Plaza. Skates depart 15 minutes after the group-up times listed below.

Please RSVP, and watch for weather and other updates, at:

Friday, October 9, at 7 PM
Monument Loop, led by Sharyn.
12-mile intermediate skate, with early bailout options.
Bring your lights and see the monuments of DC all lit up at night! We’ll warm up with a nice easy skate to the Capitol and skate along the mall and museums to the National Monument. We will then head to the Lincoln Memorial through the World War II Memorial. This is a perfect steady 5.5 mile skate for beginners. Those wanting a bit more distance will proceed on to Hains Point with the option to take the 3-mile loop (12 mile total skate) or sit by the water and enjoy the crisp air (8.5 mile total skate). The skate is mostly flat on good pavement with a small slope coming down from the Washington Monument and a 40 yard small slop from the Lincoln to Ohio Drive. Please feel free to jazz up with lights. Our leader wears a helmet bike light, a fun set of lights and lighted wheels for fun! Wear so lights so you can see and be seen!
Saturday, October 10, at 11 AM
Anacostia Loop, with DC-ICE, led by Chris.
12-mile intermediate skate.
After we leave Freedom Plaza, our first stop is at the Capitol. Then we will travel down East Capitol Street to a skate park near RFK stadium. After visiting the park we will travel to the Anacostia Skate Pavilion. We will pass the Nationals Stadium on our way back to Freedom Plaza. DC-ICE will either skate with us from the start, or will meet us at the pavilion. See route at https://www.gmap-pedometer.com/m/?r=7528392
Saturday, October 10, at 4 PM
Quad Rollout with CIB, led by David.
5 - 7 mile beginner skate. The perfect DC skate route designed for our many Quad skaters! Skate downtown DC and snap a photo at an iconic spot along the way, visit a skate park and take a mini-lesson, end up at DC City Center (or continue back to Freedom Plaza, a few minutes away). Not too many hills, and mostly good pavement.
Also RSVP at
https://www.facebook.com/events/2458636377772598
Sunday, October 11, at 11 AM
College Park Route, led by Anthony.
25+ mile intermediate/advanced skate, with early bailout points via Metro.
We will be venturing to College Park just outside of DC. A city to trail skate. Along the way, we will pass some scenic places like the Melrose skate park, Lake Artemisia, and more. The route will include multiple bailout points via Metro (bring shoes if you might partake), as well as a halfway point lunch break. The return trip includes two routes, one continuing the urban route and the other making our way back via the trails. Skaters should bring shoes for the Metro. We will have a sag wagon providing bottled and light refreshments at certain points during the skate. We'll arrive at College Park at about 12:45 PM, take a one-hour lunch break, and return to Freedom Plaza at about 3:30 PM.
Monday, October 12, at 11 AM
Anacostia Trail, 12-mile intermediate skate, with DC-ICE, led by Jonathan.
Anacostia Trail using Pennsylvania Avenue and Capitol Street bridges. Includes Anacostia Skate Pavilion, where we'll skate with DC-ICE. See http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=7528007