Re: [Toolbox] Digest for shoeboxtoolbox-field-linguists-toolbox@googlegroups.com - 3 updates in 1 topic

Peter Austin

Oct 10, 2018, 5:05:29 AM10/10/18
to shoeboxtoolbox-fiel...@googlegroups.com
Watanabe-san

We saw this problem with training in Japan some years ago -- the name of the file is its full path name, not just SLM_2002.txt so if there is a non-ASCII character anywhere in the path (eg. in the name of a folder your Toolbox file or folder is inside) then Toolbox will have problems. It might be worth checking if you have named any folder using Japanese characters somewhere on your computer.

Best
Peter Austin

On Wed, 10 Oct 2018 at 09:28, <shoeboxtoolbox-fiel...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
honoret <honorew...@gmail.com>: Oct 09 08:09PM -0700

Dear all,

I've been using Toolbox for many years, but I recently began to experience
something for the first time.

When I have interlinear text files open (all with the extension .txt), one
of the files often gets saved as "Temp of xxx.txt" even when I manually
save it. Toolbox still shows the file as "xxx.txt", but when I close
Toolbox, the file saved is not "xxx.txt" but "Temp of xxx.txt" and "Backup
of xxx.txt". This always happens with the same one file, so there must be
something wrong with the file, I guess. But I just can't seem to find
anything wrong with it, even when I opened it in an editor and looked at it.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!!

Best,
Honoré Watanabe
ToolBox Support <too...@sil.org>: Oct 09 10:37PM -0500

We saw this problem another time, and it appeared that the person was
putting a Unicode character (an accented i in his case) into the file name.

Toolbox is an old program, and it's old user-interface library apparently
can't handle Unicode in file names. There are various reasons why this
hasn't been repaired.

If this doesn't fix the problem, let us know.

Toolbox Support

honoret <honorew...@gmail.com>: Oct 09 09:04PM -0700

Thank you. Unfortunately, the file name cannot be the source of the
problem. (It's SLM_2002.txt)

Honoré

2018年10月10日水曜日 12時37分35秒 UTC+9 toolbox: